Forums > General Industry > Websites With Reputable Agencies

Model

Ame Modeling

Seattle, Washington, US

I'd like to start looking around for reputable model agencies but I have found that my look isn't right for the market that I live in and so I'd like to send out my shots to other markets but I can't find any info on agencies in other areas.

Does anyone know of websites that have listings for reputable, legitiment agencies that I could start marketing myself to?

Apr 26 05 01:02 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Try this one. It's a selective worldwide agency search.

http://www.modelnetwork.com/theagencies/afinder.cfm

Apr 26 05 01:22 am Link

Model

newhall243

Rosedale, New York, US

Thanks for the site! Very easy to do a search.

Steph

Apr 26 05 12:11 pm Link

Model

Ame Modeling

Seattle, Washington, US

Thanks so much that link, I really appriciate the help!

Apr 27 05 04:35 am Link

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

London, England, United Kingdom

Posted by L.B. Bryant: 
I'd like to start looking around for reputable model agencies but I have found that my look isn't right for the market that I live in and so I'd like to send out my shots to other markets but I can't find any info on agencies in other areas.

Does anyone know of websites that have listings for reputable, legitiment agencies that I could start marketing myself to?

All the major modeling agnecies have web sites, it's not that they don't want you. Just remember they may have 12 people at their agency with the same look as you, so who do they give the work to. So think of what it is that sets you apart from the others is your selling point. ANd never take rejection personally.

Apr 27 05 04:40 am Link

Photographer

Hoodlum

Sacramento, California, US

Be very careful with that modelnetwork site. Yes there are some good agencies there, but there are also scams. In California, Pulse is a known scam and Affinity is bottom of the barrel type. Also they are missing lots of agencies and one I saw is no longer in business. I wonder when the last time they updated the records.

Models.com has the best agency list online  but again it is a very incomplete list. Although if their on the models.com list they are a solid agency.

There are a couple of books that have fairly complete list of at least the registered agencies. Samuel French stores should still have them. Pick up a Variety paper at you your book store and look in the ads, they should be in there.

Your main problem lies in the fact that I don't know a single agency that would be interested in a 22 year old 5'6" male model. If I were you I would try to find agencies that have a acting division and try to get on with one as a character actor. Even at 5'6" LA is about the only spot that has enough character acting work to be worth wile. And none will want you unless to plan on moving.

Acting will require an entire different mind set than modeling will.

Good luck

Apr 27 05 06:04 am Link

Model

Ame Modeling

Seattle, Washington, US

Yes, I noticed that the list on modelnetwork wasn't that great but it is a place to start.

I actually have found that for doing commercial print work or art work, my height doesn't hurt me THAT much. It does negatively effect my chances but it doesn't completely handicap me. However I am well aware that I will never be on a runway (nor would I ever want to be, bleh).

I will check out Models.com though and see if I can find a lead there.

Oh and thanks as well for the tips Alex, don't worry... modeling has been a hobby of mine since I was a kid, rejection is part of my daily life. lol

Apr 27 05 06:51 am Link

Photographer

ANON

San Diego, California, US

Most websites, and especially all the free portfolio sites, that list "agencies" are lists you should avoid.  Net-Model, for instance, lists 40 agencies for Texas.  Not one of the 40 are operating legally in accordance with the laws of the state.  Essentially, therefore, sites such as that are doing as much to hurt models as they are to so-called try to help them (out of membership fees!).  Most major states require agencies to be bonded and licensed.  The best place to start is with the listings you can find on the State government sites.  Keep in mind that an agency three states away is not likely going to be of much use to you as you will not be able to easily attend go-see's, auditions, callbacks, etc., nor can you likely afford the last minute travel costs (believe me, most are very last minute decisions!).  The old, "If they like me they will pay my travel," is Internet mentality.  Mainstream commercial clients simply don't.

Apr 27 05 05:34 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Posted by Alex Alexander: 

Posted by L.B. Bryant: 

All the major modeling agnecies have web sites, it's not that they don't want you. Just remember they may have 12 people at their agency with the same look as you, so who do they give the work to. So think of what it is that sets you apart from the others is your selling point. ANd never take rejection personally.

Why you keep messin with me?
Remember you are #1 if that shows in your confidence and energy they will see you!!
12 people with the same look-your lucky your not female..

The're not gonna take #12 they want #1

Apr 27 05 06:00 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Your always going find scam agencies no matter where the list is, free site or paid, that means nothing. In fact many of the  paid sites are the worst, it's just advertising money for them and they could care less who's paying. It's just part of the business of looking for one, you have to weed them out. From all the agency listings or websites on the net, the majority are scam or just plain lousy. So no matter where you find agencies they should always be checked into. Just like many other things in this biz.

Gary
www.glamourstudio.com

Apr 27 05 06:40 pm Link