Forums > General Industry > Pay shoot only???

Model

Nat the droid

Sacramento, California, US

SayCheeZ!  wrote:

WoW.  You're getting really good at digging up these fossilized threads!
(but at least there's now something going on in these forums)

And I thought *I* was old

Damn

Jeff Goldblum is terrified of this post

Jan 28 23 01:56 am Link

Model

Nat the droid

Sacramento, California, US

Manfred wrote:

So true. Every model who claims to do only paid photoshoots is lying.

I have several people I work with no money exchanged either way. But i can count them on one hand, maybe two.

This is my full time job, in order to survive I need to work for money 😂 my landlord is nice but even he wouldn't accept prints for rent

Jan 28 23 01:58 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom

In the UK most models will only do paid shoots, sometimes they will work on a part-paid or TF basis if they want the pictures for their own use, not otherwise.

Jan 28 23 08:54 am Link

Photographer

Done here

Cleveland, Ohio, US

I know the original post is ancient. But run the other way? That gives our community a really bad look.

If a model has listed herself as paid only I always respect that. Particularly if they have written it out themselves in their bio, it’s very clear.

If they want to TFP with you they will initiate it. Otherwise I find it disrespectful.

Yes they might be losing out on some amount of exposure or however you want to word it. But from my conversations with models the number one nuisance on this website is people requesting free nude shoots.

This is compounded by the inability of most photographers to understand the quality and value of their own work.

Feb 15 23 11:22 am Link

Photographer

Wandering Eyebubble

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I've built my portfolio on a TF basis, but the investment is then in terms of time rather than money. Networking and building a good reputation really helps, but it's a continuing effort.  I don't ask to trade with models seeking pay but instead send a PM praising their portfolio which may, on occasion, lead to a shoot. Casting calls sometimes work too.

Feb 15 23 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Why don't models pose nude for free? One reason is that it wouldn't make them any more popular with other models. They might well be accused of undermining other peoples' livelihoods. It might be considered "unprofessional".

In the end it's a question of supply and demand, there are more photographers than there are nude models, so the economics work in favor of the model.

Feb 16 23 03:05 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

There are disincentives for models doing nude work, it can sometimes interfere with other work in fields such as fashion and advertising.

Feb 16 23 03:07 am Link

Photographer

G Wilson

Dallas, Texas, US

Seems like I'm the odd man out here, but unless I'm approached by a model requesting something in particular, I pay models.
So, whether or not they state, "only paid shoots", doesn't matter to me.
I'm of the firm belief that folks should be compensated for the efforts. Imagine any service that you engage in try to negotiate that performance for free! Good luck with that. Oh, tell them that they must do it nude... lol
I honestly select and engage models that fit a physical type more than any other determining feature. if she fits the type and will arrange herself, possibly wardrobe hair and makeup, do you really think she deserves nothing for her efforts but some of your amazing digital images?
IDK, maybe you're swamped with models throwing themselves at your feet just trying to get you to bless them with your artistic mastery, I bet not... so, when we bemoan and whine about models who desire compensation for their time and effort it says much more about us than the models. We're either a cheap *ss morally devoid parasitic jerk who feels entitled to use others for our gain, or we simply lack the skills, talent, business acumen and confidence to garner a return on investment without levering someone else's efforts.

Feb 16 23 02:18 pm Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

JSouthworth wrote:
In the UK most models will only do paid shoots, sometimes they will work on a part-paid or TF basis if they want the pictures for their own use, not otherwise.

Yet more bunkum from Southy I'm afraid.

In the UK it is common for models to shoot TF, provided the photographer is capable of producing a decent picture and has an established track record of reliability and decency.

Of course, photographers who can't shoot a decent picture for toffee, and whose established track record trounces any notion that they might be reliable and decent, wouldn't know that.

JSouthworth wrote:
Why don't models pose nude for free? One reason is that it wouldn't make them any more popular with other models. They might well be accused of undermining other peoples' livelihoods. It might be considered "unprofessional".

In the end it's a question of supply and demand, there are more photographers than there are nude models, so the economics work in favor of the model.

... and even more ignorant bunkum from Southy - the stuff he makes up inside his head has zero foundation in reality. Having said that, it's entirely plausible that UK models refuse to model nude 'for free' for Southy, but his particular experiences are not consistent with those of accomplished UK model photographers generally (and no doubt elsewhere too).

Feb 19 23 01:10 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

P R E S T O N wrote:

Yet more bunkum from Southy I'm afraid.

In the UK it is common for models to shoot TF, provided the photographer is capable of producing a decent picture and has an established track record of reliability and decency.

Of course, photographers who can't shoot a decent picture for toffee, and whose established track record trounces any notion that they might be reliable and decent, wouldn't know that.

You seem to have an unhealthy preoccupation with yours truly, to the extent that you never seem to write about anything else. Would you like to tell us the reason for that, or would you like me to do that for you?

Feb 19 23 04:54 am Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

JSouthworth wrote:

I would really love to get behind this thought process.
I am absolutely baffled at your 'reasoning'.

How's about some insight, and of course I am only One person, but let's start somewhere:
My model friends (and non-model friends!) do not give a flying hoot about how unclad I pose.
I do not give one at their state of undress, it takes no work from my roster, it takes zero food from my table.

Quite on the contrary, we talk, all them nude posing women and I. Across years, states, hiatus, and any kind of life change you can possibly imagine we've been talking.
We talk about our work, our experiences with you (plural, all y'all out there), and our bodies, since those are 'the merch'.
There is nothing 'unprofessional' about posing nude, you absolute turnip. Between I'd say 5-7 of the traveling veteran models up in here, we know probably 85% of all y'all (at least here in the US) out there.
The economics. LMFAO.

Here's something I have to keep asking people when I get questioning looks after I they ask what I do for a living and they don't understand why they don't know me from a Target print ad:

Have you ever been to a museum? One with paintings? Maybe some of these paintings were of a reclining lady, perhaps? Or two ladies, or maybe even three or more, all frolicking around some body of water, perhaps being seduced by fauns and nymphing around the forest.. you know the type.
Do you think the painter dreamt up those bodies, imagined them?
Or maybe a bunch of ladies had to stand there, in the buff, so the artists had something to draw from? What do you call those women?

Ta-daaaaaas!!!!

JSoth, honey, you are being ridiculous to the point where I sincerely question not your motive, like some of your colleagues, but your intellectual abilities.
And I don't mean to be rude, on the contrary son, I am absolutely serious when I say that if you were my dear relative or close friend, I'd ask you to go get your head checked, because you're not making much sense recently. Neither here nor in any other thread.

Feb 20 23 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

Modelphilia

Hilo, Hawaii, US

Dea and the Beast wrote:
There is nothing 'unprofessional' about posing nude, you absolute turnip.

To be fair, I think he was talking about models posing nude FOR FREE, and saying that other British models might consider THAT to be unprofessional, and also as being deleterious to their making a living at it.

But I'll give you credit for having earned (with bad experiences) all of those sharp edges you seem to employ so readily these days here on the forums. It may feel clever to you as you write, but it seems way overdone in your recent posts, and is rather unattractive as a personality feature. Time to chill a bit maybe?

Feb 21 23 12:01 am Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Modelphilia wrote:

To be fair, I think he was talking about models posing nude FOR FREE, and saying that other British models might consider THAT to be unprofessional, and also as being deleterious to their making a living at it.

But I'll give you credit for having earned (with bad experiences) all of those sharp edges you seem to employ so readily these days here on the forums. It may feel clever to you as you write, but it seems way overdone in your recent posts, and is rather unattractive as a personality feature. Time to chill a bit maybe?

You are very much welcome to mind your own business,  I do not need you to censor me. If you're uncomfortable reading about what's really going on, you don't have to follow me around and be reactionary.

smile

Feb 21 23 05:51 am Link

Photographer

Modelphilia

Hilo, Hawaii, US

Dea and the Beast wrote:
There is nothing 'unprofessional' about posing nude, you absolute turnip. . .

. . .  JSoth, honey, you are being ridiculous to the point where I sincerely question not your motive, like some of your colleagues, but your intellectual abilities.
And I don't mean to be rude, on the contrary son, I am absolutely serious when I say that if you were my dear relative or close friend, I'd ask you to go get your head checked, because you're not making much sense recently. Neither here nor in any other thread.

That is PURE ABUSE.

AND, in expressing all that vitriol, you had the facts of your victim's posting completely wrong, and attacked him for things he never said!

Maybe the Moderators should evaluate your "contributions" to the forums, since you don't seem to be able to do that on your own. It's one thing to be jaded, and quite another to be vicious.

You weren't being censored by me, just being asked to rein it in a bit, and to be fair. But that doesn't seem to be your strong point. Maybe it's time to take your own advice and "go get your head checked."

Feb 21 23 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

popcorn

Feb 21 23 05:05 pm Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

When would a female model pose nude for free? Perhaps if she had strong exhibitionist tendencies and was so loaded that she didn't care about money. The probability of either is low, but both at the same time? Forget it.

It might have been different at one time when nudity was a kind of socio/political statement.

Feb 22 23 03:26 am Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

JSouthworth wrote:
When would a female model pose nude for free? Perhaps if she had strong exhibitionist tendencies and was so loaded that she didn't care about money. The probability of either is low, but both at the same time? Forget it.

It might have been different at one time when nudity was a kind of socio/political statement.

Many of the traveling models whom I have worked with shot nudes TFP with photographers whose work they liked. They expected , and generally received images that they were proud of and could also use in their portfolios to generate more work.

Feb 22 23 06:39 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Los Angeles, California, US

JSouthworth wrote:

You really don't know when to just shut up, old chap. Your opinionated, fact free effusions are ludicrous.

Feb 22 23 09:07 am Link

Photographer

Modelphilia

Hilo, Hawaii, US

Red Sky Photography wrote:
Many of the traveling models whom I have worked with shot nudes TFP with photographers whose work they liked. They expected , and generally received images that they were proud of and could also use in their portfolios to generate more work.

Every image in my MM portfolio was shot TFP.

Feb 22 23 09:52 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

JSouthworth wrote:

More pointless, false blather spew. Endless it seems...
Like the Modelphilia above me, all TFP images here. Models do benefit from having some interesting images in their ports, taken by a photographer who upholds courteous behavior with everybody at all times.

Feb 22 23 10:00 am Link

Retoucher

Natti_Retoucher

Kiev, Kiev, Ukraine

Post hidden on Mar 06, 2023 06:08 am
Reason: violates rules
Comments:
Spam

Feb 23 23 12:44 am Link