Forums > Model Colloquy > Some tips for figure modeling and art classes.

Model

Elisa 1

Monmouth, Wales, United Kingdom

Rollo David Snook wrote:

If a few more photographers tried it for themselves and put themselves in the model's shoes and nothing else that day, the world would be a better place, photographers would be a lot more considerate of models perhaps.

Thank you. I think it would also help them. There are many photographers who think modelling is about beauty or sexy. They think figure modelling is when art students draw anybody pulled off the street for a few quid. It isn't. If they actually did go to an advanced educational or Art institution they may actually see what 'modelling' can mean...as in the verb. Then perhaps they would get why we are paid by artists, why agency models are sent to us to observe and participate, and ultimately help bring greater benefits and dynamism to their own photographic work.

Sep 25 13 03:22 am Link

Photographer

Cully Firmin

Lafayette, Louisiana, US

Jessica Dahl-face wrote:

It does help, thank you! I meant to say that I will be working the 10+ hours PER DAY for 3 days, so I will not have the opportunity (or the energy) to work elsewhere in the area.

Late discovery of this great thread and an even later contribution...

Marathon modeling scenarios and long physically idle travel periods present health risks that even the youngest of athletic models should be wary of and prepared for. Permanent nerve damage and thrombosis require some thought and discipline to avoid. Pose breaks by a structured schedule can spare you such a serious problem. With some poses, increasing pain and discomfort won't be ignored. Pain may pass as a more comfortable numbness overtakes. Some poses feel deceptive, like we're okay holding them for a new duration record. We don't know we're hurt until we try to move and recover. Serving the artists well is honorable. Appeasing the pride within for recognition as an exceptional model can be dangerous (I'm guilty). I know a former Chicago male model who suffered permanent abdominal nerve damage from a torso twist held in a couch prop for far too long. A 27 year old yoga-fit female model from Austin suffered a paralyzing stroke originating as Deep Vein Thrombosis in her leg. Carol Peebles is an amazing artist and teacher who also modeled. She posed a back-bend for 3 hours of life casting and suffered mysterious seizures. I've been foolish a few times over the years. Three days for semi-numb tingling sensations to subside might worry you. About a year ago, 5 consecutive days of driving and modeling 3-6 hours per day (apparently not hydrated well enough) led to superficial thrombosis in a scary place (inner thigh). Since then I modeled 32 hours in 2.5 days for one gig without a problem. The hydration already mentioned by others is crucial. An overall circuit training or calisthenics routine with stretching is a great prep before a long modeling gig. It helps safety and modeling performance. I now take the 81mg aspirin dosage daily (well almost daily), and an extra just before a long life modeling stretch to thin the blood and mitigate any chance of thrombosis recurring. I feel better while modeling now than when I first started, and am in better modeling condition too in spite of my age. Be smart while young, to be strong when old.

Reinforcing another good note, modeling made me a better photographer.

Dec 16 13 04:03 am Link

Model

Gelsen Aripia

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

@Cully Firmin:  Thanks for that great reply, especially when mentioning about possible permanent nerve damage as a result of not taking your proper breaks.

I've found that if the pose feels somewhat uncomfortable after one minute (and I have to hold it for half an hour), then I am going to be EXTREMELY uncomfortable at around the 20 minute mark, and then seriously suffer through the last 10 minutes.  Instructors tell me all the time to let them know if I need to take a break, but I just can't break pose.  In 5 years, I've only ever broken pose twice.  I feel devoted to my pose and cannot break it.  I realise that sounds ridiculous, but that's how it is for me.  Also, I really get the feeling a lot of these instructors actually don't really want me to break the pose if I'm uncomfortable...I always say that there is no such thing as "comfort" in art modeling.  It's just not natural to hold the body in one position for very long.

I find the worst poses are either standing or reclining.  Reclining looks comfortable but is often gawdawful.  Poses where all your weight is on one part of your body should not be held for longer than 10 minutes, maximum.  Boy, have I learned these things the hard way!

Dec 16 13 06:34 am Link

Model

RodneyW

Vancouver, Washington, US

As a brand new life art model, I found this post very helpful. My first, and so far only job (a week ago) consisted of

ten x 1:30 poses
three x 5:00
two x 15:00 (ten minute break after these were done)
three x 30:00 (ten minute break between each of these)

I practiced all of them numerous times. This helped me understand what would work best, for my body and the artists. I changed the order I was doing the poses in so it would give the artists some structure but also allow different body parts to have stress, then relax. I looked at numerous websites offering suggestions/sample poses, tried a lot of them, found what I liked, what my body could withstand and what would give a variety to the artists. I watched myself in front of a mirror to see how various positions would look and what I thought might give the artists the best session.

So the big day came, I arrived early, stretched a little and tried to get a feel for the room. Spoke to the owner of the studio who reminded me to make sure I posed towards different parts of the room rather than always straight forward. I had an old cell phone with a note taped to it, with all my poses listed, in the order I wanted to do them. A 3 x 5 card or similar would have worked, but that also could have easily gotten bent and for me, having a sturdy platform for my note was important.

I sweat like a pig for the first three 1:30 poses. During the third pose I glanced around to see what the artists were doing and they were so focused on drawing that it told me "you're doing this right, they are getting what they expected" which gave me tons of confidence and it was smooth sailing from there. I'd even say there was a connection, almost spiritual. 

For a couple of the poses, I used props. One was a soccer ball and the other was a long walking stick. For me, this allowed some artistic expression and seemed to be more natural positions and complimented some of the "staged" poses. For the longer poses, I found focusing on a particular spot helped me stay in pose and not move.

During each of the breaks, I'd put my robe on and walk around the room, asking permission to see some of the drawings. WOW, I was blown away. "That's me!" The variety of work was amazing. The likeness was unreal. Seeing the different body parts and viewpoints different artists had was very educational.  I would recommend and newbie like myself ask to view some of the drawings being done. 

I brought a bottle of water and an orange, already peeled so I could easily snack between poses.

Definitely stretch during breaks.

I learned a lot during this first gig and am looking forward to applying it to my next.

May 18 21 09:24 am Link