HUH?

Are you talking Soylent Green?

Oct 14 06 09:46 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Why not..?

This industry IS Soylent Green..

Beauty is the commodity (or so goes the claim)..

And it's processed.. Augmented..

Whether it's the makeup, clothing, gym work, and primping that goes in to a internet model before shooting with next GWC (that should piss off the stylists), or...

The supermodel who's body gets processed through a team of make-up artists, stylists, fashion consultants, fluffers, primpers, and proppers.. Lighted by New York's finest in sets that only the Teamsters can provide (that should tick off the post guys), or..

It's the whiz-bang, pocket protecting work of some geek in ILM who's job it is to perfect the shot that didn't make it through A & B but still needs to be ready to go and perfect to print because damned if you're going to get that whole cottage industry of Model X's face back together in time for a reshoot before print time (that should piss off everybody)..

What bloody difference does it make..  Which one does the job?  The industry uses all of them.. So why does everybody get their panties in super-wedgie mode over which is "the one true path!"

Oct 14 06 10:12 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

self promotion, and ignorance, and lack of vision, and an overripe sense of self importance, no respect for others, no respect for a team... sports, the arts, media, blah blah... people suck anymore.

soilent green!

Oct 14 06 11:11 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Searust

Austin, Texas, US

There is an image that I liked and showed the wife, and her first and only comment was "She's got no bones." The photoshopping had gone so far as to produce an image of a model that apparently was devoid of a rib cage. So the question becomes "how far is too far?"

Oct 14 06 11:42 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Jeff Genung wrote:
There is an image that I liked and showed the wife, and her first and only comment was "She's got no bones." The photoshopping had gone so far as to produce an image of a model that apparently was devoid of a rib cage. So the question becomes "how far is too far?"

Yeah.. But on that score you could say the same of makeup.. Lighting.. Set.. Or any other aspect..

The right amount is - what gets the job done..  Hell.. There's a thread in the stylist forum on JLo having a bad makeup day.. That could just as easily be a bad photoshop thread..  The product used to process the subject did not go where it was supposed to.... and.... Oh no, bad result..

There's a thread in this forum about Dove's self-esteem campaign where they take what is, in my opinion, an average to decent looking woman without makeup.. Make her up..  Then juggle her features around in photoshop to go from looking like one pretty woman to look like another pretty woman..  She goes from looking like one person, to looking like another person, to looking like a third person.. And ends up on a billboard..  There's so many alterations coming from so many directions I'm not even sure how any one group manages to find themselves on the defensive over it, and yet everyone seems to..

I just don't get it..

Oct 14 06 11:50 pm Link