Photographer

Dean Johnson Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I recently had an article published in MM Edu

The shot-Dance Naked

I just found out it was the most viewed Edu piece last week.
Feel free to make comments or ask questions here.

Dec 11 13 04:15 pm Link

Photographer

j3_photo

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Dean Johnson Photo wrote:
I recently had an article published in MM Edu

The shot-Dance Naked

I just found out it was the most viewed Edu piece last week.
Feel free to make comments or ask questions here.

Damn Dean, nice!  Congrats

Dec 11 13 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

Cool  smile

Dec 11 13 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

Managing Light

Salem, Virginia, US

Neat stuff, Dean.  You do good work.

Be sure to show us the results of your second attempt.

Dec 11 13 05:14 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Los Angeles, California, US

What a great idea! I love how the images came out.

Dec 11 13 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

Dec 11 13 05:34 pm Link

Photographer

Marc Damon

Biloxi, Mississippi, US

I'm willing to bet there are dance schools near you that teach kids all sorts of stuff. No, I am not suggesting you put a naked minor on a spinning platform. But perhaps one of the adult instructors would be interested in trading for other photos, i.e. dance, family portrait, boudoir shots for her hubby, etc.

I bet if you explain what you want, she could demonstrate her ability to spin in place right there in her dance studio which may also be an interesting before/after hours location with all the mirrors they usually have. Win Win.

Dec 11 13 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Asheville, North Carolina, US

I like the images and the idea. You complain some about your turntable so I will mention potters wheels, most would spin a decent size person (careful).

Dec 11 13 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I dig that quote in the last part of the article:

"You never know—you may come up a new technique you’ve never done before. Fearlessly trying new things is a big part of being creative. You may not be able to make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear, but maybe there’s something else you could make out of a sow’s ear!"

Experimentation and trying something different outside the box is what I love about other photographer's work

Dec 11 13 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

I was wondering how you made that. Very creative, very cool.

Dec 11 13 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

These are awesome!  Call it a personal preference, but I absolutely love the "befores." 

And I'm pretty sure when you play spin the bottle, you're supposed to lay the bottle on its side.  tongue

Dec 11 13 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

Dean Johnson Photo

Dec 12 13 04:48 am Link

Photographer

Dean Johnson Photo

Marc Damon wrote:
I'm willing to bet there are dance schools near you that teach kids all sorts of stuff. No, I am not suggesting you put a naked minor on a spinning platform. But perhaps one of the adult instructors would be interested in trading for other photos, i.e. dance, family portrait, boudoir shots for her hubby, etc.

I bet if you explain what you want, she could demonstrate her ability to spin in place right there in her dance studio which may also be an interesting before/after hours location with all the mirrors they usually have. Win Win.

Jeffrey M Fletcher wrote:
I like the images and the idea. You complain some about your turntable so I will mention potters wheels, most would spin a decent size person (careful).

Excellent suggestions. Thanks for the input, your suggestions really got my wheels turning. (pun intended) smile

Dec 12 13 04:51 am Link

Photographer

Dean Johnson Photo

Thanks D. Brian and Brian D. smile

And thanks for the great input from everyone. I'm really liking this new forum.

Dec 12 13 04:52 am Link

Photographer

Carden Photography

Tullahoma, Tennessee, US

I have a very heavy duty 4 foot lazy susan platform designed to put subjects on. It was not designed to spin fast, but was definitely designed to turn with a person on it. The top turns on a BUNCH of ball bearings in a grove between the two pieces.

My 8 year old has always love playing on it.

I might have to play sometime...

Dec 12 13 09:02 pm Link

Model

Sandra Vixen

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

While I think the lighting and the idea is creative and meaningful, I do want to point out that this is not really dance in the proper term.

The positions of the body and limbs of the "dancer" are off, it's more of a movement than dance.

In dance, there are strict and exact angles in the placement of the dancer/model/subject/etc, there are some people who are movers or posers, they do move or pose very well, but they are not trained in any way and the movements would only be correct by chance (they are not really dancers).

Also with regards to naked dancers, dancers often do dance nude, but the term dance nude means that the dancer is fully dressed wearing dancewear that is the same color as the skin. Dancers are often not performing nude without clothes simply because it does not hold and naturalize the edge line (with the reception of some male dancers)

These are some silhouettes I modeled for a TFP earlier this year: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandralavi … 400607290/

So you can see the placement of the body and limbs are very specific and are (reasonably by intention, not the best) correct.

While on the topic of dance photography, I recommend a 150mm to 200mm lens, the proportions of the dancer's body is often overlooked with shorter lens zoomed out and thus creates distortion.

Dec 13 13 01:06 am Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Los Angeles, California, US

Sandra Vixen wrote:
While I think the lighting and the idea is creative and meaningful, I do want to point out that this is not really dance in the proper term.

The positions of the body and limbs of the "dancer" are off, it's more of a movement than dance.

In dance, there are strict and exact angles in the placement of the dancer/model/subject/etc, there are some people who are movers or posers, they do move or pose very well, but they are not trained in any way and the movements would only be correct by chance (they are not really dancers).

Also with regards to naked dancers, dancers often do dance nude, but the term dance nude means that the dancer is fully dressed wearing dancewear that is the same color as the skin. Dancers are often not performing nude without clothes simply because it does not hold and naturalize the edge line (with the reception of some male dancers)

These are some silhouettes I modeled for a TFP earlier this year: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandralavi … 400607290/

So you can see the placement of the body and limbs are very specific and are (reasonably by intention, not the best) correct.

While on the topic of dance photography, I recommend a 150mm to 200mm lens, the proportions of the dancer's body is often overlooked with shorter lens zoomed out and thus creates distortion.

dance verb \ˈdan(t)s, ˈdän(t)s\

- to move your body in a way that goes with the rhythm and style of music that is being played
- to move with and guide (someone) as music plays : to dance with (someone)
- to perform (a particular type of dance)

To me, dance is interpretive. Many forms of dance are unabashed in their primitive forms, like movements playing in the shadows of a tribal drum. And the term "dance" can be used as a descriptive, such as the dancing light of a candle, flowers that dance in the wind, etc.

I took the title of the article figuratively and not literally. A dance of emotion and light, movement of thought and expression.

Or maybe I'm over thinking this smile In any case, I don't think we're here in this forum to critique titles and such.

Dec 13 13 02:26 am Link

Photographer

Old Ska Punk

Crivitz, Wisconsin, US

Really cool shots, Dean. Awesome work.

Like Brian D., I really prefer the "before" pictures.

Wonderful concept.

Dec 16 13 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

Dean Johnson Photo

Thanks Timm!

Dec 17 13 06:24 am Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

Dean Johnson Photo wrote:
Thanks Timm!