Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > The student loan crisis

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Tucson, Arizona, US

I chose to stay in ignorant bliss each quarter when Sallie May emails me my interest statement, deleting the email.

I have enough to worry about with actually doing school.

Jun 26 14 09:20 pm Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

It took me a significantly longer time to finish college all the way to a Master's degree.

I worked and starved and did school part time (50 hour a week job and going at night to community college) - got some scholarships that saved my bacon.  My last 6 months looked like a parade of Rice, cabbage, and 25 cent pot pie dinners.

*shudders at what must go into a frozen pot pie you can sell for a quarter*

But when I got my final degree (Masters) - I owed - - Nothing...

I owned almost nothing - but I was not in debt.

This is perhaps one of my proudest achievements.  and it helped make me the cheapskate that I still am today.

Jun 26 14 09:34 pm Link

Model

fluffycakes

Chicago, Illinois, US

Nope. And I won't.

I walked out of the financial aid office today.. I wanted to drop there and thank god.. Fully paid for. So I have the time to save up for university when that time comes, although financial aid and scholarships might save my ass there too.

If not, I have the majormajormajor guilt card I rarely ever play. But I'm the "B" child, and while my cousin went to school for $40k a year(yes they actually paid for that-no he has no debt) I'm in community college. Paying something for my Bach/masters won't kill anyone.

Jun 26 14 10:40 pm Link

Model

Little Queenie

Indio, California, US

My bachelors will cost $22k and I did all my gen ed at a community college. Saved my ass tons going about it that way. Will ultimately probably take more in loans, around $27k, to cover the risidual costs of going to college. Trying to get scholarships and grants already even though I won't start until Fall 2015.

Edit: I'll be going to a cal-state school.

Jun 26 14 10:49 pm Link

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Tucson, Arizona, US

I COULD have gone to community college and gotten all of my geneds for a lot cheaper, but I really love the small community at my school. It's only about 250 people and I know almost every teacher, and have had them multiple times. I think it's worth it.

Jun 26 14 10:54 pm Link

Model

Little Queenie

Indio, California, US

I think a lot of people have unrealistic expectations of what a college degree will actually get you. I know that my degree in sociology will probably not get me a 6-figure job for quite some time (if it ever does I will be grateful but I am not expecting it) but I really value the knowledge I am gaining and think it will better prepare me for my career. I picked my degree based on the field of work I want to get into and it took me a lot of time to decide where exactly I wanted to go with my career. I think pushing kids into college righ out if high school is a HUGE mistake. They are just coming off the bender of people constantly telling them "you can be whatever you want to be" so they try to do exactly that.

Jun 26 14 11:06 pm Link

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Tucson, Arizona, US

Little Queenie wrote:
I think a lot of people have unrealistic expectations of what a college degree will actually get you. I know that my degree in sociology will probably not get me a 6-figure job for quite some time (if it ever does I will be grateful but I am not expecting it) but I really value the knowledge I am gaining and think it will better prepare me for my career. I picked my degree based on the field of work I want to get into and it took me a lot of time to decide where exactly I wanted to go with my career. I think pushing kids into college righ out if high school is a HUGE mistake. They are just coming off the bender of people constantly telling them "you can be whatever you want to be" so they try to do exactly that.

I will give credit to my school for being very persuasive to join while at the same time never promising a fruitful career.

But it's art school. I don't think too many people would buy "You're going to be the next Andy Warhol."

Then again...

Jun 26 14 11:19 pm Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Al Lock Photography wrote:
When I graduated, I had no debt. I started working when I was 15 and saved to pay for school. While in college, I worked multiple jobs (summers included working as a cook in a country club and as a counselor at an Easter Seals camp) - playing drums in a rock band, DJing frat parties, shoveling snow and coal, and being a drill instructor at a military high school. My last two years I received $100 a month from the US Army for being on an ROTC contract and my last summer was Advanced Camp/CTLT.

My MA was paid for by my employer (the US Army).

Nicely done.

Jun 27 14 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

Tony-S

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

Nine years later and it's only worse!

Jul 06 23 07:19 am Link