Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > DAR Critiques > long time photographer first time retoucher

Photographer

Jessphoto

Castle Rock, Colorado, US

Hi I have been photographing people and just making basic edits. Over the last few years I have been playing more. I don't know much about retouching other than frequency separation. My husband got me a wacome last christmas and I am now just getting it out of the box so hopefully that will push me to get better.

here is one of my few finished ones  sorry I don't know how to get it to show up in here
https://www.flickr.com/photos/32244896@N04/15442949714/
here is the original
https://www.flickr.com/photos/32244896@N04/15878008340/

Dec 20 14 11:19 am Link

Retoucher

Cole Bettelyoun

Martin, South Dakota, US

2 Thumbs up from me

Dec 21 14 07:28 pm Link

Photographer

Jessphoto

Bettelyoun wrote:
2 Thumbs up from me

Thank you, seems like this forum maybe slow?

Dec 21 14 09:06 pm Link

Photographer

Sennia Kyle

Seattle, Washington, US

Good job, but you did all that work and didn''t fix her dry, cracked, almost-scabbed lips... fix those and I think you have a winner. smile

Dec 23 14 11:55 pm Link

Retoucher

BoazR

Jerusalem, Jerusalem, Israel

I love the overall editing, especially the eyes - but I find the cheeks slightly overdone. It looks a little bit like the skin is stretched too much over the bones . Otherwise, really nice work for a first time.

B

Dec 24 14 08:41 am Link

Retoucher

Orenj Haro

London, England, United Kingdom

For first attempts it's pretty good. The shadow under her mouth has been removed. Making the lips seem alot 'flatter' and her chin bigger.

Dec 27 14 10:52 pm Link

Photographer

Jessphoto

Sennia Kyle wrote:
Good job, but you did all that work and didn''t fix her dry, cracked, almost-scabbed lips... fix those and I think you have a winner. smile

Thanks, I'm still learning and don't know how to do lips yet or I would have fixed them. On my long list of things to learn.

Dec 31 14 08:59 am Link

Photographer

Jessphoto

Thanks everyone for the response, I will try and fix those things and repose another pic. Any good videos on fixing lips?

Dec 31 14 09:08 am Link

Retoucher

NorCal Retoucher

San Francisco, California, US

Good For You.... always good to learn. It took me about 4 weeks of steady use to learn use of Wacom4 pen. Worth the time.
I think dodge and burn is the hardest and most time consuming to learn. I use some plugins but try and tackle retouch without them. Just be sure you have a backup copy of image.....

Check out YouTube for help too.

Sometimes you'll find out on MM that comments are cold and just rude when trying to learn....

Hang in there smile

A

Jan 04 15 08:46 am Link

Photographer

Jessphoto

NorCal Retoucher wrote:
Good For You.... always good to learn. It took me about 4 weeks of steady use to learn use of Wacom4 pen. Worth the time.
I think dodge and burn is the hardest and most time consuming to learn. I use some plugins but try and tackle retouch without them. Just be sure you have a backup copy of image.....

Check out YouTube for help too.

Sometimes you'll find out on MM that comments are cold and just rude when trying to learn....

Hang in there smile

A

I picked up the tablet pretty quick I'm glad since I read it can be hard at first. I have tried some plugins from topaz but didn't like the majority of the looks. Maybe I need to play a little more also portraiture wasn't my cup of tea either. But I'm just learning so,maybe I'm missing something there. I have checked out dodge and burn on youtube and I get it, what I don't get is where to use it and how much. In the past my edits have always just been clean up blemishes, color correction and maybe clone out background clutter. This is a whole new world to me.

Jan 11 15 03:01 pm Link

Retoucher

Cole Bettelyoun

Martin, South Dakota, US

Jessphoto wrote:

I picked up the tablet pretty quick I'm glad since I read it can be hard at first. I have tried some plugins from topaz but didn't like the majority of the looks. Maybe I need to play a little more also portraiture wasn't my cup of tea either. But I'm just learning so,maybe I'm missing something there. I have checked out dodge and burn on youtube and I get it, what I don't get is where to use it and how much. In the past my edits have always just been clean up blemishes, color correction and maybe clone out background clutter. This is a whole new world to me.

if you want to learn Dodge and Burn get the dvd called The Art of Dodge and Burn. It will teach you what you don't get.

Jan 11 15 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

Jessphoto

Bettelyoun wrote:

if you want to learn Dodge and Burn get the dvd called The Art of Dodge and Burn. It will teach you what you don't get.

Thanks I will check that out. Not much on the internet that was worth my while.

Jan 11 15 08:14 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

Nicely done!! I like it!!:-)

Jan 11 15 08:34 pm Link

Retoucher

Sergretouch

New York, New York, US

Not bad for first time. But you need more practice. Now photo looks a bit flatten. This happens because you kill a lot of shadows. Shadows makes volume. You must don't kill shadow, you must make a smooth transition from lights to shadows.

Jan 18 15 04:18 am Link