Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > DAR Critiques > Pink beauty - Critiques please.

Retoucher

N1 Retouch

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

https://i60.tinypic.com/a5dhqh.jpg

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/37859693

This is probably my sixth attempt in high end beauty retouching (I've been retouching for just 2 months ago). My steps were:
1. RAW conversion
2. Removing blemishes and spots
3. Color correction
4. Local and Global D&B
5. Adding Noise
6. Sharpening

I would like to know your opinion smile

Jan 29 15 08:48 pm Link

Retoucher

Dark Rose Love

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Your workflow is different from mine, I do many more steps. What I notice off one's bat is changing lighting to make harsher and shadows sharper, contours face needs gone and some not so flattering more pronounced. So looks to me like too much dodging on cheeks. She had nice contour on cheeks, healthy, normal - just blend, smooth gradations. Make cheeks all white, make look flat, no contour, then sharply goes into pink. She is think so has prominent windpipe - not flattering, she doesn't want a big windpipe standing out and the white "V" does that. There reduce prominence, shape it, using highlights and shadows to get good contours.

Photographer worked hard to give model beautiful soft flattering light that wraps around, contouring perfectly (I retouched this model, too, I know) so your retouch must keep this lighting also! Not make photographer's soft light hard with sharp shadows. Really watch your blending and contouring I would say. Eyebrows and eyelashes are nice and sharp. Can't see pores but it's maybe from low res.

Feb 02 15 06:12 pm Link

Retoucher

N1 Retouch

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Dark Rose Love wrote:
Your workflow is different from mine, I do many more steps. What I notice off one's bat is changing lighting to make harsher and shadows sharper, contours face needs gone and some not so flattering more pronounced. So looks to me like too much dodging on cheeks. She had nice contour on cheeks, healthy, normal - just blend, smooth gradations. Make cheeks all white, make look flat, no contour, then sharply goes into pink. She is think so has prominent windpipe - not flattering, she doesn't want a big windpipe standing out and the white "V" does that. There reduce prominence, shape it, using highlights and shadows to get good contours.

Photographer worked hard to give model beautiful soft flattering light that wraps around, contouring perfectly (I retouched this model, too, I know) so your retouch must keep this lighting also! Not make photographer's soft light hard with sharp shadows. Really watch your blending and contouring I would say. Eyebrows and eyelashes are nice and sharp. Can't see pores but it's maybe from low res.

Yes, I totally was having a hard time deciding which lighting and shadow to keep and which one not. It's probably because I'm still not very used to different kind of lighting setting photographers have. And about the pores, it's probably the quality.
Here's for the high res: http://khellfinte.deviantart.com/art/Pi … -511229756

Thank you so much for your opinion!

Feb 03 15 07:48 am Link