Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > DAR Critiques > Commercial Beauty Retouching

Retoucher

Kami Fore

Los Angeles, California, US

Any takers? I feel as if this is my best image and I've decided to niche in commercial and editorial beauty. Let me know what you think smile Just trying to see if there's anything I need to keep my eye on as I push on -

[ Before ] - http://oi61.tinypic.com/24lpq83.jpg

After -

https://i61.tinypic.com/4j1i6q.jpg

Jun 12 15 10:49 am Link

Retoucher

Adriano De Sena

London, England, United Kingdom

I like it, it's a good work.
I would fix the oversaturated part on her chin/neck and eyebrows area but just a little bit.
It looks you removed the shadow under her left eye but you forget under the right eye. That's a little bit too dark for me compared to the left eye.
I would do those fixes but just a little bit to avoid the overcooked look.

Jun 13 15 04:13 pm Link

Retoucher

Kami Fore

Thank you so much! Something kept bothering me about it and I couldn't tell what it was. I think you nailed it.

Does anyone else have any critique?

Jun 17 15 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

Boyde Studio NYC

Brooklyn, New York, US

I like that its hi-key without blowing out features.
It looks like you really smoothed her out and then replaced the lost pore texture. True?

Jun 17 15 07:23 pm Link

Retoucher

Kami Fore

JBoyde wrote:
I like that its hi-key without blowing out features.
It looks like you really smoothed her out and then replaced the lost pore texture. True?

Ah so that's what you call hi-key? Also yes in a way. I selectively high passed some parts that I felt were inconsistent/not sharp enough and tried to make it even. I also have a binding method I've been trying out with blurred noise on reverse hp where it just focuses on sort of micro burning/dodging the tiny 1px-3px spaces in between the pores if there's too much inconsistency. That's in addition to the d&b I do normally.

Edit - Kind of wanna do the whole thing over again. I did another one from this set recently without doing that and I prefer just local d&bing all over. Avoids how shiny some of the pores look in comparison to the other one -

https://i61.tinypic.com/1zdbupj.jpg

Also doing a tone change. I found myself changing around things A LOT in the original I posted after I finished. Kept going back. Just going to keep it simple this time. But did anyone else have anything they wanted to point out for when I go back in?

Jun 18 15 08:27 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

These are really beautiful images.

Just cruisin' by here

Jun 23 15 07:06 pm Link

Retoucher

Dark Rose Love

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I think is very good job. I have begun getting very sensitive to the duck lips, now that so many models and even 'ordinary people' are getting injections and implants. Lips of young are what they are trying to get, and if you look at children, teens, even babies - you will see how the lips are naturally. They do not suddenly curl up like the duck bill. After age 18 lips start the 'deflating' process. Even for Angelina Jolie, no matter who you are. If someone is unfortunate enought to have lips that DO naturally look like duck's, we can still make them look natural. Same as any other weird flaw.

Sep 02 15 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

TMA Photo and Training

Lancaster, Pennsylvania, US

For me they look beautiful. I like the highlights especially and there is a clean overall look.  The eye and lips colors are beautiful as well...and the gold.

So...Nice work...very attractive and high power images!!

The far eye was a bit out of focus and a bit darker in the original...and I also like how you balanced the eyes with brightness and sharpness.

Dec 05 15 03:59 pm Link

Retoucher

OTTO poste1

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

The whole camera right of the image is cyan - desaturated compared to the rest of the image where the skin is much more red.

The neck/chin transition is orange and much more saturated that the rest of the image. You need to add some blue to balance this area.

The outer corner of her lip has a strange orangey line on the top and bottom lip.

For a beauty image such as this, I would rework the eyelashes : fill up the obvious gaps with copied eyelashes.

The eyebrows are not the same colour, especially the inner corner of camera right, it's yellow/orange when the other eyebrow is much more cyan.
You changed the shape of the camera right inner corner of the eyebrow too much. Look at the original, it was much thicker and looked better.

I would remove the mole behind the lip. Not because it's a mole, just because it looks like a weird bump in this area.

Dont intensify the colour of the eye so much and dont lighten the highlights in the eyes so much, it looks fake.

Reduce the shadow above her lip a little, it looks like a moustache.

You removed the shadow that was constituting her cheekbones, it looks flat now.

Liquify the shoulder a bit so it looks more rounded. (bring the higher part down)

Mar 22 16 05:28 pm Link

Retoucher

Kami Fore

^^^

Yeah~ I noticed that it looked super flat / lacking in depth and a series of other things way later, lmao. Thank you. I'll use this as a reminder. Thank god I know better now.

Mar 23 16 11:08 am Link

Retoucher

OTTO poste1

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Kami Fore  wrote:
^^^

Yeah~ I noticed that it looked super flat / lacking in depth and a series of other things way later, lmao. Thank you. I'll use this as a reminder. Thank god I know better now.

ooops, didnt realise how old this post was tongue

Mar 23 16 03:02 pm Link

Retoucher

not here

Providence, Rhode Island, US

9/10 Too much white going on in the picture. Unless that is what you were going for.

May 23 16 06:08 pm Link

Retoucher

Dash Retouching

Moscow, Moscow, Russia

Aspen Faye wrote:
I like it, it's a good work.
I would fix the oversaturated part on her chin/neck and eyebrows area but just a little bit.
It looks you removed the shadow under her left eye but you forget under the right eye. That's a little bit too dark for me compared to the left eye.
I would do those fixes but just a little bit to avoid the overcooked look.

Totally agree with Aspen!
I think after that its perfect smile
good luck

Apr 11 17 06:13 pm Link