Forums > Critique > Fun and Games > Your picks or theirs?

Photographer

Wandering Eyebubble

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

It's often interesting to compare a person's portfolio with the "Credited Photos" meta-portfolio. My $0.02 of which one I like better and why (and no, I'm not going to be mean about it, I have neither the inclination nor the hubris to do so!)

Jun 24 15 10:02 am Link

Photographer

jahnhall

Brooklyn, New York, US

Wandering Eyebubble wrote:
It's often interesting to compare a person's portfolio with the "Credited Photos" meta-portfolio. My $0.02 of which one I like better and why (and no, I'm not going to be mean about it, I have neither the inclination nor the hubris to do so!)

very intrigued...and thanks in advance.

Jun 24 15 11:40 am Link

Photographer

Wandering Eyebubble

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

jahnhall wrote:
very intrigued...and thanks in advance.

Hi jahnhall!

You must be quite happy to have so many credited photos!

It seems that you really try to bring forth the models themselves, and so there's a big overlap between the photographer's and the models' vision. Some of your credited photos are pretty old, and it's clear that you've progressed since then (of course, people always want to show their latest and greatest). There are a couple of pictures in your portfolio which I think are weaker than the best ones from your credits, but overall your picks win ^_^

Thanks for playing,
Marco

Jun 24 15 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

jahnhall

Brooklyn, New York, US

Hi jahnhall!

You must be quite happy to have so many credited photos!

It seems that you really try to bring forth the models themselves, and so there's a big overlap between the photographer's and the models' vision. Some of your credited photos are pretty old, and it's clear that you've progressed since then (of course, people always want to show their latest and greatest). There are a couple of pictures in your portfolio which I think are weaker than the best ones from your credits, but overall your picks win ^_^

Thanks for playing,
Marco

thank you -- and to be honest, i wouldn't be shooting without mm...got my start on here with a point and shoot and have learned and grown in great part thanks to the models so i'm glad some of those oldies are still up -- and really cool to see the credited photos. i'd never checked them out before!

Jun 25 15 03:19 am Link

Photographer

T__

BRONX, New York, US

Interesting - curious smile

Jun 30 15 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

Wandering Eyebubble

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

T__ wrote:
Interesting - curious smile

Hi T_,

Great portfolio, such classy photography! Some of your credits fall into a common trap, using many similar images, which makes the meta-portfolio a bit repetitive. If you eliminate the redundancy it ends up being very strong, in fact I'd say if complements your own choices quite well (which is great when you're stuck with only 15 photos).

So, after culling, I'd place the credits port on par with your own, and they're both lovely.

Thanks for playing,
Marco

Jul 01 15 09:17 pm Link

Photographer

T__

BRONX, New York, US

Hi T_,

Great portfolio, such classy photography! Some of your credits fall into a common trap, using many similar images, which makes the meta-portfolio a bit repetitive. If you eliminate the redundancy it ends up being very strong, in fact I'd say if complements your own choices quite well (which is great when you're stuck with only 15 photos).

So, after culling, I'd place the credits port on par with your own, and they're both lovely.

Thanks for playing,
Marco

Thank you smile I will take a look!

Jul 02 15 05:10 am Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

Sure!

Jul 02 15 10:43 am Link

Photographer

Wandering Eyebubble

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Jorge Kreimer wrote:
Sure!

Hi Jorge!

With 285 credited images your models must really, really love you, and I can understand why since it's all about them. Even though some post many images from what appears to be a single shoot the sheer variety within the simple theme is truly commendable. Even more surprising is that your own 100+ picks differ from the images of the meta-portfolio. It's an amazing body of work, actually.

Your port has more variety, and while that should be a good thing in this case it somewhat perversely becomes a bit jarring in contrast with the austere, bright (sometimes semi-)nudes (which are brilliant, BTW). These set the tone in an overwhelming manner which just seems to want to exclude all else, and the zeitgeist appears to agree.

Their picks win.

Thanks for playing,
Marco

Jul 02 15 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

Hi Jorge!

With 285 credited images your models must really, really love you, and I can understand why since it's all about them. Even though some post many images from what appears to be a single shoot the sheer variety within the simple theme is truly commendable. Even more surprising is that your own 100+ picks differ from the images of the meta-portfolio. It's an amazing body of work, actually.

Your port has more variety, and while that should be a good thing in this case it somewhat perversely becomes a bit jarring in contrast with the austere, bright (sometimes semi-)nudes (which are brilliant, BTW). These set the tone in an overwhelming manner which just seems to want to exclude all else, and the zeitgeist appears to agree.

Their picks win.

Thanks for playing,
Marco

Thank you for your kind words, Marco.

Jul 02 15 07:59 pm Link

Model

Pauline Yee

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Please?

Jul 03 15 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

Wandering Eyebubble

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Pauline Yee wrote:
Please?

Hi Pauline!

So in your case I imagine this might be trickier, as there are limits when it comes to the photographs you actually receive (especially when not TF'ing). Let's see how the model's side of the coin plays out.

In your case, Pauline, it's currently an even split, with 22 photos in each portfolio. On average the quality is similar, but a lot hides behind an average. Your credits have your best photos, but also your worst. Your own port doesn't reach those same heights, but neither does it stoop to the deepest lows. In a perfect world I'd swap the four worst images from your port with the four best credits and then there would be no question as to which is superior.

I think that your port shows you better as a model, and even though as a photographer I gravitate towards the best images, ultimately I'll give your picks a narrow win.

PS. You shuffled things a bit while I was writing this, but the conclusion still stands ^_^

Thanks for playing,
Marco

Jul 03 15 07:06 pm Link

Model

Pauline Yee

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Thanks Marco!
Would you mind telling me which photos are the ones you think are my four best from my credited photos?

Jul 03 15 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

Wandering Eyebubble

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Pauline Yee wrote:
Would you mind telling me which photos are the ones you think are my four best from my credited photos?

PMed!

Jul 04 15 11:06 am Link

Photographer

Eclectic Vision

Toledo, Ohio, US

I'm in, though please ignore the super old images that some non active models still have in their portfolios. I've been on this site for 8 years.

Jul 06 15 07:22 am Link

Photographer

Wandering Eyebubble

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Eclectic Vision  wrote:
I'm in, though please ignore the super old images that some non active models still have in their portfolios. I've been on this site for 8 years.

Hi Eclectic Vision!

What a great portfolio, it oozes with style. You're right about some of the credits, but there's no shame in humble beginnings, and there are some gorgeous images which just might edge out your picks (such as the ballet dancer, or the one with the Easter lilly). Still, overall your port is superior, but the real winner is your flickr page, what a delight that is. It's just luscious, bursting with variety and creativity, rarely does someone's love for photography manifest itself in such an exuberant  manner.

That you currently find yourself in dire straits is an appalling state of affairs, because you truly are an incredibly talented photographer.

Thank you for showing us the world more clearly,
Marco

Jul 06 15 08:13 pm Link