Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > DAR Critiques > Appreciate your genuine feedback on my retouching

Retoucher

Hemali Kapilaratne

Kandy, Kandy, Sri Lanka

This is my very first post here.  Can you guys tell me where I missed and what my faults are?

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150820/03/55d5afc99b3a5.jpg

Aug 23 15 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

A little too heavy-handed. It looks photoshopped, no longer a photograph.

Aug 23 15 05:42 pm Link

Retoucher

Erin Floyd Retoucher

Paris, Île-de-France, France

A couple of things that stand out to me at a glance..
- Blurry skin! This is definitely the most common error I see
- Overlightened iris (another common mistake)
- The eyemakeup could have been tidied up a little
- Skin tone on the face doesn't match the hand
- Nails look painted on in PS
- Stray hairs should be retouched

Aug 24 15 02:30 am Link

Retoucher

Kami Fore

Los Angeles, California, US

You painted on the skin. Looks like you took a soft brush with a color from the palette of the skin and put it over it or blurred some parts with reverse high pass or frequency separation - bad idea.

I would recommend learning local d&b..like seriously learning it so you don't come up with little 'short cuts' to get a 'high end look' because most people (myself included) start out thinking that smooth skin = smooth all over and they don't want to put in the work to get everything pore by pore.

Other problem areas have been specified - The hair at the bottom can be filled in with some samples from up top but just make it realistic, the nails need shadows on them, but subtle ones so the nails aren't so one dimensional. The skin also looks incredibly blotchy in areas - either from where it's obvious that you've  been healing/cloning or the model/MUA team weren't good on one end. The makeup looks cakey and packed and you'd have to do a lot of local d&b/ selective sharpening, etc to correct it.

But generally speaking - get your basics down and don't try to jump the gun to make it 'high end' before you're ready.

Aug 25 15 11:17 am Link

Retoucher

Hemali Kapilaratne

Kandy, Kandy, Sri Lanka

Thank you all.  I didnt blur the skin by using FS.  And also Im having a problem with my wacom pen.  Can someone pls guide me to set up my pen for retouching?

Aug 27 15 04:26 am Link

Retoucher

Dark Rose Love

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Too long time to teach Wacom setup. There are many good videos on Lynda.com or maybe even on YouTube.

What program are you using to retouch? Nuances in skin are being taken away. Does not look real.

Sep 02 15 05:05 pm Link

Retoucher

Hemali Kapilaratne

Kandy, Kandy, Sri Lanka

Dark Rose Love wrote:
Too long time to teach Wacom setup. There are many good videos on Lynda.com or maybe even on YouTube.

What program are you using to retouch? Nuances in skin are being taken away. Does not look real.

Thanks!  I use Photoshop.

Sep 05 15 07:55 pm Link

Photographer

TMA Photo and Training

Lancaster, Pennsylvania, US

For me, lightening up the overall face luminance values just a little bit (using a simple adjustment layer curve...selectively applied to face area)...would better balance the face with the overly contrasty powerful eyes.   The eyes are beautiful but they overpower the whole face somewhat.

Reducing the saturation of the face area just a little bit... would take away some of the heaviness of the skin some.  A HSL adjustment layer with the saturation pulled down, and applied selectively with a white brush on a black mask might be a way to do this.

I think this is a fine early start.  Its always easier to get strong or aggressive as you start out because that is easier.  Developing judgement and restraint is something that takes time and retouching many images for experience.  For some of us it takes a very long time...because we inherently like strong visual art...but other people are minimalists with their own opposite tastes and are looking for subtle applications.  Its safer sometimes to balance on the side of just a little bit less

Sep 06 15 12:31 pm Link

Retoucher

Hemali Kapilaratne

Kandy, Kandy, Sri Lanka

TMA Photo and Retouch wrote:
For me, lightening up the overall face luminance values just a little bit (using a simple adjustment layer curve...selectively applied to face area)...would better balance the face with the overly contrasty powerful eyes.   The eyes are beautiful but they overpower the whole face somewhat.

Reducing the saturation of the face area just a little bit... would take away some of the heaviness of the skin some.  A HSL adjustment layer with the saturation pulled down, and applied selectively with a white brush on a black mask might be a way to do this.

I think this is a fine early start.  Its always easier to get strong or aggressive as you start out because that is easier.  Developing judgement and restraint is something that takes time and retouching many images for experience.  For some of us it takes a very long time...because we inherently like strong visual art...but other people are minimalists with their own opposite tastes and are looking for subtle applications.  Its safer sometimes to balance on the side of just a little bit less

Thank you always for your great advise!

Sep 10 15 06:47 pm Link

Retoucher

not here

Providence, Rhode Island, US

8/10 Hand is different color than face and neck blends into face.

May 23 16 06:15 pm Link