Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > DAR Critiques > Some constructive criticism on retouching

Retoucher

Shooktee

New York, New York, US

Hi guys, although I'm not new to retouching and have been practicing off and on for a couple of years now, I would really appreciate your input on my work. I'm always trying to learn new techniques to get better results, although I think I've hit kind of a plateau where there's certain effects that I just cannot replicate or achieve. I mostly use local d&b for skin work with some frequency separation (depends on the image). For the image below, I only used dodge and burn, and I'm sure that it can be improved as well.

ORIGINAL

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150916/05/55f9666ea8363.jpg

Two more recent work, for reference

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5666/21306237719_128a747151_c.jpgbefore_after2

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5711/20446148884_74bdd3b0b8_c.jpgCF036069 copy

Sep 18 15 06:25 am Link

Retoucher

Kami Fore

Los Angeles, California, US

I think you nailed the first one a part from the dust spots in the background and the little red nick at the bottom of her arm there. Looks good and natural.

However the second and third look like you totally killed the natural high lights and bone structure in their faces.

this is the thing - when you retouch and d&b like crazy it's good to constantly keep their natural bone structure as a reference and work AROUND that bone structure and natural high lights and shadows opposed to just thinking "if it's too dark - dodge / if it's too bright - burn" because what ends up happening is that you lose touch with the image.

You went way, way, too far with those two. It got to the point where it looks like you just put a filter over it because there's absolutely no bone structure anymore.

Just be mindful of the model's features and you'll be good.

Sep 27 15 12:32 pm Link

Retoucher

Shooktee

New York, New York, US

Kami Fore  wrote:
I think you nailed the first one a part from the dust spots in the background and the little red nick at the bottom of her arm there. Looks good and natural.

However the second and third look like you totally killed the natural high lights and bone structure in their faces.

this is the thing - when you retouch and d&b like crazy it's good to constantly keep their natural bone structure as a reference and work AROUND that bone structure and natural high lights and shadows opposed to just thinking "if it's too dark - dodge / if it's too bright - burn" because what ends up happening is that you lose touch with the image.

You went way, way, too far with those two. It got to the point where it looks like you just put a filter over it because there's absolutely no bone structure anymore.

Just be mindful of the model's features and you'll be good.

Thanks for your input, really appreciate it. I completely understand what you mean about the 2nd and third and I agree because it's something I noticed too after I was done and is definitely something I have started to pay more attention to since then, because the images ended up looking a little too flat.

Sep 28 15 09:30 am Link