This thread was locked on 2023-06-20 07:08:47
Forums > Model Colloquy > is this a scam??

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

JSouthworth wrote:
If the person receiving the check is in any way smart, they'll wait until their bank clears the check before doing anything else. That should only take 3 or 4 days. If it doesn't clear, they can report it as fraud.

In this case of course, they wouldn't need to wait even that long to know that this is obviously a scam. An amateurish one at that.

P R E S T O N wrote:
Your advice is, as usual, ill-considered and, quite frankly, stupid.
Anyone banking a cheque which they believe to be fraudulent (or would be considered fraudulent by a person with any sense) is likely to be regarded by the bank to be a conspirator in the fraud, prosecuted and culpable for any losses the bank might incur as a result.

It is possible that someone following JSouthworth bad advice "could" be arrested or at least momentarily detained while the police have to figure it out.  I have witnessed that occur at banks (I worked at a bank for 4 years, although not on the teller line)  Even Cashiers checks can be fraudulent.  It is NEVER a good idea to follow along with these scams .. especially while knowing it is a scam!  It does not look good to law enforcement.

Jun 18 23 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

The OP;

DavidSirotinsky wrote:
yeah i responded that i dont accept cashiers check as payment and i will not be forwarding or accepting any payment before shooting.. and told him to fk off!

Dec 17 15 08:40 pm

That is where this thread could have ended,

Jun 18 23 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom

Patrick Walberg wrote:
It is possible that someone following JSouthworth bad advice "could" be arrested or at least momentarily detained while the police have to figure it out.  I have witnessed that occur at banks (I worked at a bank for 4 years, although not on the teller line)  Even Cashiers checks can be fraudulent.  It is NEVER a good idea to follow along with these scams .. especially while knowing it is a scam!  It does not look good to law enforcement.

What is this crap? I never suggested banking a check you KNOW to be fraudulent (what would be the point of that when the bank would certainly detect the fraud?) What I said was that if you're not sure one way or the other, sometimes the only way to find out is to wait and see if it clears. That's just simple common sense. If you think there's a possibility it might not be any good, you can always tell the bank when you hand the check to the cashier. But checks do sometimes bounce, and it isn't usually the fault of the person banking the check.

In this particular case, most people would probably identify the scam before it got to that stage. But there may be times when you really don't know, and in that case the only to find out may be to take the check to the bank and let them tell you whether or not it's for real. In a realistic sense, you have to be suspicious of checks most of the time.

Jun 19 23 08:31 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Turning to the slightly more interesting question of who is responsible for this scam, the name Tommy Jouse is obviously derived from those of musical artistes T. Tommy and Jouse Ventura, that's obvious.

Interesting in this connection is the use of the word "gig" to refer to the proposed business deal, this suggests to me that the person responsible for this may well have some involvement with the music industry, even if perhaps only as a regular concert goer.

Jun 19 23 08:39 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

For the benefit of the few who might not be aware...

The deposit often gets reversed WELL AFTER the normal "clearance" date.   It's pretty common for people to mistakenly think that once it passes the banks typical clearance timeframe (when they release any "holds" on it), that it can't be reversed.  And the scammers know this.

But the depositor STILL ends up on the hook for it, when it gets reversed later on.

So please ignore ANY ADVICE that suggests just waiting for it to "clear".  Following such ill-advised advice, could cost you a great deal of money.

Jun 19 23 09:58 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

JSouthworth wrote:
They're saying that they're going to send you a check for just a shade under $2k. Believe it when you have the money in your account.

Give the scammer all of your info.
Deposit the check.
If it bounces, you will know that it was a scam.

Jun 19 23 10:09 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

LightDreams wrote:
For the benefit of the few who might not be aware...

The deposit often gets reversed WELL AFTER the normal "clearance" date.   It's pretty common for people to mistakenly think that once it passes the banks typical clearance timeframe (when they release any "holds" on it), that it can't be reversed.  And the scammers know this.

But the depositor STILL ends up on the hook for it, when it gets reversed later on.

So please ignore ANY ADVICE that suggests just waiting for it to "clear".  Following such ill-advised advice, could cost you a great deal of money.

Maybe, or maybe not, you'd have to read the small print. Some banks are trustworthy, others are shitty. Most will charge you for anything they can possibly charge you for.

Jun 19 23 10:54 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Mark Salo wrote:

Deposit the check.

Don't give them any info, least of all your bank account details. That's the golden rule.

Jun 19 23 10:57 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

JSouthworth wrote:
They're saying that they're going to send you a check for just a shade under $2k. Believe it when you have the money in your account.

Mark Salo wrote:
Deposit the check.

JSouthworth wrote:
Don't give them any info, least of all your bank account details. That's the golden rule.

Jun 19 23 11:22 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

JSouthworth wrote:
If the person receiving the check is in any way smart, they'll wait until their bank clears the check before doing anything else.

So I replied with this; 

Patrick Walberg wrote:

I gave you the benefit of doubt as in using "could" as in most cases a bank will give you a chance to sort out such issues as overdrafts, but even in cases where you are the victim, it can harm your credit score.  If you are not sure, then why take the chance and deposit it in the first place?  So you fired back at me with this! 

JSouthworth wrote:
What is this crap? I never suggested banking a check you KNOW to be fraudulent (what would be the point of that when the bank would certainly detect the fraud?) What I said was that if you're not sure one way or the other, sometimes the only way to find out is to wait and see if it clears. That's just simple common sense. If you think there's a possibility it might not be any good, you can always tell the bank when you hand the check to the cashier. But checks do sometimes bounce, and it isn't usually the fault of the person banking the check.

In this particular case, most people would probably identify the scam before it got to that stage. But there may be times when you really don't know, and in that case the only to find out may be to take the check to the bank and let them tell you whether or not it's for real. In a realistic sense, you have to be suspicious of checks most of the time.

I called your advise "bad" because IF a person is "smart" then they would know how to verify if a check is good through other means without having to go to the bank.  Heck!  If a person is "smart" they might recognize this is a scam and not waste precious time or energy on it.  If they are smart, but not sure, then they should consider reading this;  https://www.thebalancemoney.com/how-to- … eck-315428 

SO in summary, if you are smart, then you know that you do not have to go to the bank to verify if a check is valid.  If you take a check you are not sure of to the teller, you'll probably get the side eye as they go do the work of calling the bank the payee is using to verify the check is good. The best solution is not to accept checks from strangers online who want you to cash it to pay other venders in the scam.  -duh!-   End of story!

Jun 19 23 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

JSouthworth wrote:
Maybe, or maybe not, you'd have to read the small print.

Please ignore JSouthworth's latest (and now somewhat watered-down) claims.

THERE ISN'T ANY BANK ANYWHERE, that will let you keep the money, if the deposit you made (regardless of the date) turns out to be BAD.

PERIOD.

Jun 19 23 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

A scam like this relies to some extent on the banking system favoring the scammers over the victim, even though they're committing a crime.

It also relies to some extent on the intended victim being too intimidated to either (a) complain to the authorities or (b) turn the trick on the scammers and f**k them out of their money, not that I would recommend the latter course of action.

Jun 20 23 01:30 am Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

JSouthworth wrote:
Turning to the slightly more interesting question of who is responsible for this scam, the name Tommy Jouse is obviously derived from those of musical artistes T. Tommy and Jouse Ventura, that's obvious.

Let's hope the accused notice Southy's libel. Perhaps he'll learn something (for once) when he loses the action against him and gets clobbered for damages.

MM mods may wish to consider the implications for the site should they allow Southy's libel to persist on the platform. Southy's other libels continue to litter the place which I'd suggest isn't a wise approach.

Jun 20 23 03:16 am Link