Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > DAR Critiques > Critique on one of my first trials at retouching.

Retoucher

ezegomez

Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina

Hello everybody!!

Love to listen at your critique from one of my first trials at beauty retouching.

What do you think? What can I improve? Let me know!!

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/160111/17/5694581ec1717.jpg

Jan 11 16 05:37 pm Link

Retoucher

Tia Jones Retoucher

Atlanta, Georgia, US

This looks really great, especially for one of your early trials of beauty retouching. Only being on the nit-picky side, I would maybe clean up the eye brows some and straighten up the eyelashes. Lastly, a few areas of the skin could be blended a little bit more. However, once again; this looks great overall. Good Job!

My new tutorial blog:
retouchingblog.com

Jan 17 16 05:41 am Link

Retoucher

ezegomez

Tia Jones Retoucher wrote:
This looks really great, especially for one of your early trials of beauty retouching. Only being on the nit-picky side, I would maybe clean up the eye brows some and straighten up the eyelashes. Lastly, a few areas of the skin could be blended a little bit more. However, once again; this looks great overall. Good Job!

My new tutorial blog:
retouchingblog.com

Thanks for your advice!! I'm taking your words under consideration to improve my retouching skills!! I´m defenitly visit your tutorial blog.
Thanks again for taking time to critique my work!! Appreciate!!

Jan 17 16 09:57 am Link

Retoucher

OTTO poste1

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

This will be blunt but this is not good cos the wrong technics have been used.

You used a filter to retouch the skin (either band pass in frequency separation, or a some type of blurring on the skin) and it shows. No pros will ever do that. The best technics to retouch skin is cloning for details and texture, dodge and burn for light uniformity of the skin (smoothing out gradients so the skin looks smooth).

Your colour is all over the place.
Look at the really desaturated area in the neck (it's cyan actually), this should not happen in a beauty image.
The neck is more pink than the face. You do not want to see big differences between skin areas, unless it is intended for the purpose of the image.

The teeth are not the right colour.

The eyelashes in the inner corner of the camera right eye need to go. they are falling into the white of the eye, should not happen.

There is a variety of tools to work on colour, it's important that, as with light, the colours transition smoothly from one area to the next unless the sharp transition is intended.

If you pay attention to these elements and work on your cloning, dodge and burn and colour techniques, you will have the right tool set to become a good retoucher.

Mar 22 16 05:16 pm Link

Retoucher

ezegomez

Thanks for having a look at my pic.

I appreciate your observations and I will take under consideration to improve my retouching skills.

Hope my next pic will be better!!

Thank you a lot for your words!!

Mar 28 16 02:40 pm Link

Retoucher

not here

Providence, Rhode Island, US

7/10. The under of the eyes are bothering me. Looks blotched.

May 23 16 06:07 pm Link

Retoucher

ezegomez

ChelleyCredible Retouch wrote:
7/10. The under of the eyes are bothering me. Looks blotched.

Thanks for the feedback!

Jun 10 16 09:55 pm Link

Retoucher

SistagurL

Greenville, South Carolina, US

I think you've done well for your first time! The are some skin issues that others have already commented on. The best thing that helped me is having reference photos, magazines and sites open with beauty images. Helped me when I first started. Also taking frequent breaks helped my eyes. Keep practicing!

Jun 22 16 05:40 pm Link