Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > DAR Critiques > Please critique my retouching portfolio!

Retoucher

Mate Dobray

London, England, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

Here's a Dropbox link to some images that I've retouched:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hz3je5f8ego1 … v02Ia?dl=0

(All images subject to unfathomably serious copyrights of extraordinary proportions! Please forget them after viewing! Images 2, 5, 6 & 7 Copyright S. Bourson!)

Let me know what you think,
Thanks!

Jan 22 16 01:03 pm Link

Retoucher

Kami Fore

Los Angeles, California, US

Don't copy the overdone 'perfect' look you see on MM. Pay attention to not over-pixelbypixel d&bing because you end up losing natural transitions with pores on skin and shadows and highlights. It also feels like you're trying to go for really 'finished' image details like really highlighted / dodged lip lines / cheek bones, etc, but you're neglecting doing the ground work. The ground work being -

- making sure your skin looks like you're staring at a person and not just something that's stylized
- color correcting and making sure your skin colors aren't all over the place (like jumping from magenta to a lighter skin tone)
- never ever ever ever just painting over skin with a soft brush or cloning over an entire section thinking no one would notice
- relying exclusively on frequency separation to do anything more than just fixing transitions and smoothening problematic skin in small sections, not large ones
- making sure your work, especially if it isn't beauty, doesn't look super super perfect
- also major major major thing b/c this was a trend in your portfolio: Make _ Sure _ Your _ Skin _Texture _ Looks _ Natural _ And _ Consistent

Not consistent as in 'make everything the exact same texture,' but where you can see natural transitions.

Jan 28 16 02:40 am Link

Retoucher

ezegomez

Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina

Hi!!

Love 2, 4, 6 and 7. Really good work!

The other pics looks too retouched and unrealistic (specially because of the skin treatment), no texture on skin and no care of transitions.

As I said, you should go on the way of the pics I first mention. Awasome work on them!!!

If you dont't mind, I would love you to have a look at my profile and read your critique.

Keep retouching!!

Jan 29 16 09:44 pm Link

Retoucher

Mate Dobray

Kami Fore  wrote:
Don't copy the overdone 'perfect' look you see on MM. Pay attention to not over-pixelbypixel d&bing because you end up losing natural transitions with pores on skin and shadows and highlights. It also feels like you're trying to go for really 'finished' image details like really highlighted / dodged lip lines / cheek bones, etc, but you're neglecting doing the ground work. The ground work being -

- making sure your skin looks like you're staring at a person and not just something that's stylized
- color correcting and making sure your skin colors aren't all over the place (like jumping from magenta to a lighter skin tone)
- never ever ever ever just painting over skin with a soft brush or cloning over an entire section thinking no one would notice
- relying exclusively on frequency separation to do anything more than just fixing transitions and smoothening problematic skin in small sections, not large ones
- making sure your work, especially if it isn't beauty, doesn't look super super perfect
- also major major major thing b/c this was a trend in your portfolio: Make _ Sure _ Your _ Skin _Texture _ Looks _ Natural _ And _ Consistent

Not consistent as in 'make everything the exact same texture,' but where you can see natural transitions.

Thank you! Copying the "trendy perfect look" is exactly what I tried to achieve, it's liberating to hear that it's not what I have to do (it's such a pain!).

It's going to take time to get this all right, but I finally have a direction in which to go, thanks again!

Jan 31 16 06:17 am Link

Retoucher

Mate Dobray

ezegomez wrote:
Hi!!

Love 2, 4, 6 and 7. Really good work!

The other pics looks too retouched and unrealistic (specially because of the skin treatment), no texture on skin and no care of transitions.

As I said, you should go on the way of the pics I first mention. Awasome work on them!!!

If you dont't mind, I would love you to have a look at my profile and read your critique.

Keep retouching!!

Thanks a lot! I'll have a look at your images too and send you a message soon! wink

Jan 31 16 06:17 am Link