Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > DAR Critiques > Learning how to retouch in PS - critique welcomed!

Photographer

Chris_Duncan

Strasbourg, Alsace, France

Hello all,

So I started off shoot models two months ago. I have 3 outdoor, natural light shoots under my belt, with a couple more book for this month. Things are moving fast! What I've come to realise, is even though I feel I have a developed sense of photography, I have yet to nail my personal portraiture style either in camera or in post. As I work on the former, I wondered if you kind folks could help me with the later.

Here is an triptych, left to right, of my most current retouching technique in PS CC, my technique last week, and the original.
https://i.imgur.com/aoaik2P.jpg

I'd love to hear what you guys think subjectively, but also on the pros and cons of frequency separation, localised dodge and burn, and color grading. My next stop will the resources thread smile

Thanks in advance,

Chris

May 09 16 07:28 am Link

Retoucher

Kami Fore

Los Angeles, California, US

You're not ready for any trendy retouch technique or color at all because you're still learning. Leave that until later. In the mean time just learn to heal and clone and lightly d&b where you keep the anatomy in tact and remove anything distracting.

Your issue with these images is that you over thought them and they look heavy handed as a result. The color graded version also looks absolutely terrible and you shouldn't try playing with color at all until you learn the basics and take your time more. Then over time, learn color theory, composition, and some traditional art basics. That's all.

May 23 16 08:39 pm Link

Photographer

Chris_Duncan

Strasbourg, Alsace, France

Kami Fore  wrote:
You're not ready for any trendy retouch technique or color at all because you're still learning. Leave that until later. In the meantime just learn to heal and clone and lightly d&b where you keep the anatomy in tact and remove anything distracting.

Your issue with these images is that you over thought them and they look heavy handed as a result. The color graded version also looks absolutely terrible and you shouldn't try playing with color at all until you learn the basics and take your time more. Then over time, learn color theory, composition, and some traditional art basics. That's all.

Thanks for your response, it's been helpful!

I accept that I've been heavy handed - a result of trying to maximise the practice! But you're right, for a good image, it needs to look natural, way before colour grading can be used to create an atmosphere. Hint taken smile

As it seems you know what you're talking about, can you give me a hint as to when to use heal/clone vs DB? Currently, and since progressing from when I submitted those images, I use heal/clone for stray hairs and such anomalies. I have found micro DB to give a more natural look than FS when correcting blotchy skin / spots / scars / dark eye circles. Am I practicing the right tools for the right jobs? Would be useful to know at this stage! Thanks

May 24 16 09:50 am Link

Retoucher

Kami Fore

Los Angeles, California, US

Chris_Duncan wrote:
Thanks for your response, it's been helpful!

I accept that I've been heavy handed - a result of trying to maximise the practice! But you're right, for a good image, it needs to look natural, way before colour grading can be used to create an atmosphere. Hint taken smile

As it seems you know what you're talking about, can you give me a hint as to when to use heal/clone vs DB? Currently, and since progressing from when I submitted those images, I use heal/clone for stray hairs and such anomalies. I have found micro DB to give a more natural look than FS when correcting blotchy skin / spots / scars / dark eye circles. Am I practicing the right tools for the right jobs? Would be useful to know at this stage! Thanks

You basically heal and clone for problematic areas that are too big / too complex to use for d&b and then actually use d&b to smoothen smaller light-to-shadow transitions that have nothing to do with the anatomy of the face and strictly just about porous areas on the face smile)

May 24 16 12:55 pm Link

Retoucher

Traciee D

Lafayette, Louisiana, US

I have learned that placing a black and white layer on top of my work helps me find where i need to fine tune it.  Turning that layer on and off.  You can find out more about this through the forum and threads.  Casting colors isn't always recommended so just be careful when you do those.  You can make it look overworked if you place them too frequently.  D&B where needed, and when there are hot spots bring them down, even them out, and then rework on top of that.

Jul 07 16 07:36 pm Link