Retoucher

Fred van Leeuwen

Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa

HI guys so I recently shot and retouched the portrait you see below.
Would love to know what you guys think.
CC Welcome!

Thank you!

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/161116/00/582c1600072fc_m.jpg

Nov 16 16 12:56 am Link

Photographer

Dreamscape Creative

Charleston, South Carolina, US

I like your color grading.  Was there much skin work?  It looks pretty clean.

Nov 17 16 03:59 pm Link

Retoucher

paul sherwood

Halesowen, England, United Kingdom

Hi Fred
I like the composition and your use of studio lighting and choice of model in this portrait. It is also in focus which is most important. Because the shot has a strong Green/Cyan color grade it is hard to judge any dodge or burn work you have done on the skin as accurate. But, it looks fine to me. I would use extra Selective Color Layers to recover some white back into the highlights and eyes by targeting required areas with luminosity masks created from the RGB Channels. Make sure you have a good color calibrated monitor that is Adobe RGB accurate.

Michael Woloszynowicz from Vibrant Shot has some great tutorials on Color Grading or shorter clips free on You Tube. He does suggest in his Color Grade course the need to experiment with different Grades in the same image and shows how to do it before deciding on the final look you want. Otherwise, check out the internet or good books for different approaches to color grading which would help with this shot.

Other areas I would pay attention to would be the models upper hairline, the lighting and contrast in the eyes and straightening teeth

Remember the eyes must be the centre of attention in a portrait and your retouching should reflect that.
Well done

Nov 28 16 05:38 am Link

Photographer

Rf Photography

Neuilly-sur-Seine, Île-de-France, France

I like the color tone

Jul 15 17 06:43 pm Link