Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > New to MM feedback welcome

Photographer

Apex Images

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I am new to MM and would love some feedback on my work. I have worked with hundreds of models over the past few years and have learned a lot but never had the nerve to ask for some critique on what i have accomplished.

Oct 19 17 09:26 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Apex Images wrote:
...would love some feedback on my work...

Apex Images we all can potentially grow professionally on objective feedback from our peers... However it is meeting and exceeding the expectation of your clients that has true merit.  That is if you are in this game to chase the legal tender... a.k.a. work commercially.

From your BIO "...My passion in the art took me on the path of glamour and fashion..." Please allow me to cut to the chase here... It is obvious (in my humble estimation) that your have mastered your kit and more importantly have a unified and consistent visual statement. Your command of compositional elements and color theory and how to deploy it effectively them lifts your renderings above the mediocrity of the lion's share of hobbyist  on Mayhem (and other photography portals). 

That said your visual statement is glamour, not fashion... Only several of your images fall into the fashion genre which in my eyes is a shame since those precious few fashion editorials are superb...

This image has a truly compelling surreal aura to it... Your use of the D700 w/ the classic 70-200 is highly effective here... Wonderful synergy with this talent who emotes so effectively carrying the narrative entirely to the next level...

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/171017/22/59e6e4646b79f.jpg

This image is the strongest in your book from a fashion perspective (subjective inference) and speaks well of how you  utilize the D750 w/ the ironic 85mm f/1.8.  Excellent subject isolation via DOF and gorgeous color harmonies latent within. Compelling pose dynamic and wonderful synergy with this talent. Only suggestion would be to include her footwear rather than truncating at the ankle (awkward). Also moving forward avoid having the talent slam their iris/pupil into the corner of the eye... way too much cornea showing (tends to give the talent a "cross-eyed" look.  The fix? simply instruct the talent to always look in the direction their nose is pointing...

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/171017/21/59e6da2e77ac7.jpg

Best advice? Really don't know what to say here other than I'm highly prejudice toward fashion since it affords the talent a true career path if they get signed by an agency.  Glamour is not what agencies want to see.. they are interested in clean beauty and lifestyle... However tear sheets trump everything thus getting publish should be your highest priority if you are serious about tenure within the industry.  Yes I realize that glamour is highly popular with other photographers however the line goes around the block for those seeking to rise within that genre... enough said.

So what to do? Study the Development board of high end agencies to get your head around what works...
Start here and peruse each of these talent's books...

Final thoughts? Gender neutrality matters... you would benefit from having male talent in your book. Without the aforementioned you with not likely be taken seriously by agencies...  This is what agencies expect to see...

Hope this helps or is at least food for thought...
I wish you well on your journey...

Oct 22 17 10:07 pm Link

Photographer

Apex Images

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Excellent feedback and very much appreciated!!

Oct 23 17 03:26 pm Link