Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > First Cosplay shoot

Photographer

WesOrtiz

Providence, Rhode Island, US

Cosplay is a new Genre for me.  I have some friends that shoot exclusively cosplay stuff and are heavily involved in the con scene.  This photo was my first shoot, I treated it like a regular shoot without a costume.  The shoot used natural lighting and I did a few makeup/bodypaint touch ups in post.  Is there anything I can do to improve or keep any eye out for in the future?

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/43085276

Nov 12 17 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

WesOrtiz wrote:
...Cosplay is a new Genre for me...

Think fashion editorial here...   
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/170918/20/59c08c4b6f5ec.jpg
Excellent synergy latent within...
Superb attention to detail...
Love the Sigma Art 50-100mm, really nicely done...

WesOrtiz wrote:
...The shoot used natural lighting...

Have you considered the value and merit of speedlites? The lighter background elements are a distraction here... Please try and keep the talent as the best illuminated aspect of your narrative... One strategically placed shoot through umbrella or parabolic could/would have taken this fashion rendering entire to the next level... Even though your 50-100mm F1.8 DC HSM | Art 016 lens shot wide open allowed beautiful subject isolation the talent is still wanting for more light... Dark wardrobe and accessories swallow the light like a sponge... A speedlite off camera would be ideal here...

Hope this helps or is at least food for thought...
I wish you well on your journey Wes...

Nov 12 17 08:51 pm Link

Photographer

WesOrtiz

Providence, Rhode Island, US

Thomas Van Dyke wrote:
Dark wardrobe and accessories swallow the light like a sponge... A speedlite off camera would be ideal here...

I see what you mean - I think a hit of extra light could help bring those levels up.

Nov 14 17 05:41 pm Link