Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > Male model portfolio in need of critique

Model

Munkhtulga Mojo

London, England, United Kingdom

Hi guys,

I have been modelling for just one year, and have built a little portfolio. Take a look at my portfolio, and feel free to comment/critique on any of the photos. I'm willing to expand, cut, and modify based on your CONSTRUCTIVE critcism. Feel free to go harsh. I'm here to learn after all!

Thank you in advance

Jan 08 18 06:10 am Link

Photographer

NewBoldPhoto

PORT MURRAY, New Jersey, US

Munkhtulga Mojo wrote:
Hi guys,

I have been modelling for just one year, and have built a little portfolio. Take a look at my portfolio, and feel free to comment/critique on any of the photos. I'm willing to expand, cut, and modify based on your CONSTRUCTIVE critcism. Feel free to go harsh. I'm here to learn after all!

Thank you in advance

I might not be the ideal person to advise you on your corner of the modeling world but let me offer what I notice. For starters your portfolio seem to be somewhat short on legs. I don't know that this is important in your market but the overwhelming majority of images are waist up.
Second, he bulk of your images show you looking out of the frame, typically to the viewer's left, this tends to lead the viewer's gaze out of the image and doesn't engage the viewer. While certainly this presentation of aloofness can be worked to ones advantage, especially someone with your bone structure, one probably doesn't want to aloof oneself out of work.
Now you seem to have a number of similar images in your portfolio for example the head and torso in the navy/black athletic pant set. One of these is rendered in monochrome and shows you facing away from the camera looking out the left side of the frame- I'm not sure that this one is doing anything for you. And a pair of three quarter shots torso turned to the cameras right, head to the viewer's left, in one the chin is raised slightly and I like the presentation of the torso but the eyes look out of the frame and the hands aren't the best. In the the other the eyes engage the viewer but the chin is a bit too low, the torso isn't as well presented and one elbow edges the frame. I believe that presented together these images tend to highlight one another's flaws while they are similar enough that were you to present them far enough from each other in your portfolio to not draw comparison they would seem like an attempt to stretch your limited shoots by reusing images.
A final thought, your portfolio shows a somewhat limited range of facial expressions- you might consider a smiling image or even perhaps a laugh, if only just to see how it plays.

Jan 12 18 04:16 pm Link