Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > Looking for constructive criticism possibly even m

Photographer

Mysticoptimistic

Cape Girardeau, Missouri, US

I've been taking photos for decades..with only the notion to capture the moments. Candidly, if you will.
I've recently been introduced into the world of portrait photography and have been slowly learning some little things in Photoshop.
I've showed a few some of my shots and they all seem to think they are decent for someone that has only been shooting for a little over a year. Granted I have had some coaching on the manual settings and lighting. ..
I'm in search or real, honest, raw feedback.
Maybe make a few new friends along the way.

Jan 11 18 01:57 am Link

Photographer

OLSON IMAGES

New York, New York, US

Your photos are all hidden.

Jan 12 18 06:39 am Link

Photographer

Guss W

Clearwater, Florida, US

It's good to practice in manual mode and learn the lighting techniques.

In the self-portrait section...

In the close-up shot, I think I would like to see more depth-of-field.  If you get more distance between the light source and the subject, there will not be as much contrast between the blown-out light side of the face and the shadowy side.

In the shot with the black shirt, it looks like you've got the Peter Hurley lighting going on.  That look is nice for a splashy social media insert shot, but do learn the more traditional lighting as well.  Even Hurley has expanded his looks.  That bit of orange at the bottom is distracting.  A posing tip - extend the right arm outward as though leaning on something.  It creates a leading line towards the face and having something in that area will better balance the overall feel.  Along with that, use a long-sleeve shirt so the light flesh of the arm does not distract from the face.

In the Amber section...

The one in the white shirt needs better composition.  As it is, it is a jumble with no center of interest to capture the eye.

In the shot of her seated - Fanned out fingers aren't particularly attractive.  Google "hand posing".  Neither is a stiff-arm look attractive.  We want to see curves and angles.  We also want to see a waistline on a woman, so move the arms away from the waist so the background delineates the waist.  The straight-on lighting gives something of a Hollywood look to the face, but it is flattening out a figure that we would rather see curves in.

Mar 25 18 03:52 pm Link

Model

Sandra Vixen

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Framing is really not working out, or you are using the crop tool badly, there are rules to framing, the 1/3rds rule or golden rectangle... or uncomfortable edge for edgy stuff, but these framing crop s don't fall anywhere

Lighting seems to be keyed en face, squared off, looks anatearuish, try keying the light source differently.

Mar 25 18 10:58 pm Link

Photographer

L_O_N_D_O_N

Los Angeles, California, US

In this image:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/43580580

your editing has made parts of the model's skin yellow.

This can happen when you drag the White balance to the right. If that's what you did, learn to be careful when adjusting whites to never introduce skin discoloration.

*Sometimes* when dragging whites to the right, you can compensate for the coloring effects by lowering saturation, but again, this must be done very carefully, and only in some cases.

Mar 26 18 12:35 am Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Start simple,

Go for a great headshot first, then add more as you gain experience [Adding head and shoulders, ¾ shots till you master full body shots]
Learn to white balance; use a white or gray card to set white balance in camera. Get a color checker to set color balance of your monitor.
Find some books on composition and posing, try a used book store or second hand shop.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/180106/23/5a51c9392c064_m.jpg
If one can look past the color issues, this is the strongest image in your portfolio. Composition wise you have way to much dead space photo right, remember you are shooting for a models portfolio, and space in the photo with out the model is wasted space. [Make a print of the photo and crop the right side off just above her knees, this keeps our eyes from wandering off the bottom of the photo].
Details, lower models left shoulder this will make neck appear as long as possible, arch back put a bend in models left elbow rather than a straight arm. Some of her hair is a bit flyaway, fix with a comb or Photoshop as needed.

I wish you well

Mar 26 18 08:58 pm Link