Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Makeup school or Classes

Hair Stylist

KimberlyShadani

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Can anyone give advice on any good  Makeup schools or Classes to take?

I'm a hairstylist in Atlanta and have been dabbling in makeup for a little over a year now, I've not had any professional experience everything has basically been self taught.

I would like to gain more confidence to start taking on higher scale jobs by working hands on with an expert and not feeling like I'm whinging it.

If anyone can give advice that would be great!

Apr 12 18 09:21 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

I'll relay what I've gotten from my local level.

We've got a few MUAH schools and colleges in this town - maybe too many.   Most charge upwards of $15K for each area: Make-up, Hair, and Nails so figure $45K for all.  Some of the retailers who sell the supplies here require your license to even sell you a comb, but there are some who don't even ask.

Problem then becomes the graduate's "Chair space" in some salons where the owner charges anywhere from $500/mo. up to $2,500/mo. in the LA area.  Only ones who seem to profit (other than the schools) are the owners and if they also do the work themselves.  The graduates (chair renters) don't often succeed if they are in competition with the owner's chair too and end up taking other jobs.  Most popular has 10 chairs and each person has a different area they excel in and seems an all day assembly line at times.  Unfortunately, many seem to end up at a cosmetics counter in a retail store at minimum wage, some at commission sales kiosks, so paying off their school loan takes a very long time.

Even my dentist got into the chair space rental thing with the hygienists.  I thought he had a lot of hygienists cleaning teeth working for him, only to find out they pay him a percentage to use his facilities and leased dental equipment although he does the overall billing.  Probably too many graduating hygienists so competition is fierce, and the employers (Dentists) have more free reign to charge them to work for them to keep them employed and paying off their loans.  I think my eye doc (Surgeon and Ophthalmologist) does the same with his six OD's too who have their own exam rooms.

Getting to be a very tough market to profit in.

Apr 12 18 10:26 am Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

it also takes talent as well as business sense and customer relations. if you want trying for the better schools, ask these people in atlanta. don't know them personally, but they are current intercoifure (hair) members and would have a better idea of the beauty schools near you :

Van COUNCIL    - Van Michael Salob
Steve HIGHTOWER     - Steve Hightower Hair Artist Studio
Candy SHAW CODNER    - Jamison Shaw Hairdressers
Jessica SOLER    - Salon Red

most average make-up schools only deal with basics and hygiene to get your license. you will need to find better ones to teach good skin care & types, color, blending and more advance techniques.

Apr 12 18 10:55 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

"Can anyone give advice on any good  Makeup schools or Classes to take?"
MUD in LA or NYC is the only credible resource here and they are way too pricey...

Best advice? Assist other commercial artist in your market...
Try and get on their bridal team... No makeup artist can handle an entire bridal party solo.
Offer to help setup their station and clean brushes in between clients...

But to assist means to be absolutely silent... You are not there to ask questions, you are only there to make them look amazing!  And do not for a moment think about giving out your business cards or soliciting their client base, that will end your career as an assistant in a heartbeat...   

Hope this makes sense...
If you need a reference pick up a copy of "Beauty Makeup" by Yvonne Hawker
This was my textbook when I was in training for my license...

All the best on your journey...

Apr 12 18 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Makeup school or Classes

Neither... YouTube instructional videos... some are pretty darn good... and they're all FREE!... but... some are really NOT all that good... and some are actually A JOKE!  Pick and choose wisely now... wink

Apr 14 18 10:32 am Link

Makeup Artist

SunshineDivine180

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I am a licensed makeup artist and hairstylist. I went to Aveda Institute for hair and I attended Industry Makeup Academy. Both are in atlanta. Yes, Aveda is going to cost you a good bit but IMA was relatively affordable, especially if you are looking for good basics and training. I HIGHLY recommend classes and schooling because there are some things you absolutely need that you will NOT learn on YouTube.
You can also take classes at The Engineer Guy and at Norcostco. These will be a little more advanced and expect that you already know basics. If you want a little more in-depth training with makeup, also check out Studio Crush.
Yes, watching videos on YouTube can be very helpful but do not let that be your “education”. I recommend it as a supplement AFTER you have gotten some actual classes under your belt.
Best of luck!

Jun 07 18 07:20 am Link

Makeup Artist

LotteConcepts

s-Hertogenbosch, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

not sure what courses you should take in that area. But education is very personal, and depends on your objective.
If you want to get into fashion, find out what education the best fashion mua has gotten in your area. Want to get into bridal, figure out what eduction the best mua in your area has done, same holds for tv etc.

Figure out what your objective is, who represents that objective to you and ask/figure out how they got there

Jun 08 18 01:24 am Link

Makeup Artist

LotteConcepts

s-Hertogenbosch, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

and no, don't check out youtube video's. You will only learn how to do "instagram make-up" from those channels, as professional mua's are not easy to find only. Although I stil love Pixiwoo

Jun 08 18 01:25 am Link

Model

IlianaAlvarez

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Hello Lovely,

As a former MUA I'd say Makeup School it's a big expense and not always necessary. 

My recommendations are:
Practice, Shadow a working Artist, and check with your State Laws to see if you need to be Licensed in order to become a Makeup Artist, as this is not always the case.

Here is a more detailed Article on the Qualifications needed to become a Great Artist: https://www.ilianaalvarez.com/single-po … eauty-Guru

& best of luck in this new journey smile

Sep 12 18 01:31 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Megan Calfo

Portland, Oregon, US

I went to Makeup Designory in Los Angeles. I loved it! I always recommend artists to attend a professional makeup school, specifically a school dedicated solely to makeup artistry education. You might be able to find one near you in a larger city, otherwise both Makeup Designory and Cinema Makeup School in Los Angeles are excellent choices.

Depending on what makeup you'd like to do, you might have to get an esthetics license. In my state you need your esthetic license to do bridal, so I'd recommend calling your state board of cosmetology and ask them what the state laws are regarding makeup artists. If you do need your esthetics license, the makeup portion is usually a joke, which is why I'd still recommend attending an actual makeup school for your artistic benefit.

There also might be some single class workshops near you as well, possibly hosted by a cosmetology school.

Good luck with your education endeavors, it's an exciting time!

Sep 16 18 11:27 pm Link