Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > My Profile / Avatar Photo - Yes or No?

Photographer

J Stills Photography

Chiang Mai, Northern, Thailand

My current Avatar photo is of myself, but should I be using one of my beautiful female models instead to represent my brand as that's what I primary shoot?

Thoughts on using yourself in your avatar vs. one of your models?

Jun 26 18 03:27 pm Link

Photographer

the lonely photographer

Beverly Hills, California, US

looks ok to me  I'd never use my own pic cause it's scare the shit out of people

Jun 26 18 06:49 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

the lonely photographer wrote:
looks ok to me  I'd never use my own pic cause it's scare the shit out of people

ditto

Jun 26 18 07:24 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

J Stills wrote:
Thoughts on using yourself in your avatar vs. one of your models?

I'd never do it for two reasons: I'm never as pretty as the models I work with and I'm not in this to show myself off, only my work.

I do wonder why you're more interested in putting your own photo up instead of your work.

Jul 14 18 01:30 am Link

Photographer

David Kirk

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

I want my avatar to describe my photography to someone at a glance.  Viewers should get an idea of what I like to shoot and the general skill level I have by looking at my avatar.  If they are interested in that single image then they may look at the rest of my portfolio.  The rest of my portfolio is there to reinforce the avatar - to show how much variety I have in what I like to shoot and how much the quality of my photos varies (or at least the quality of the better samples of my photos).

A photo of me would not work for an avatar because it is not representative of what I like to shoot nor what I find to be my better work.  It would also not work in my portfolio for the same reason.  I have shot males, but it is comparatively rare and the samples I have I don't consider to be among my better photos.

Since this is the critique forum I would say that you would be better off using a different photo as your avatar.  I recommend this one:

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/180624/16/5b3023582521e_m.jpg

Jul 18 18 12:26 pm Link