Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > Opinions 18 plus image

Photographer

Znude!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

This was an attempt to combine two images into an artistic illusion of sorts. I call it Snakes and Angels. I don't often do these so I'm not sure of the work I've done here.

I am curious if it passes or fails as anything artistic. So opinions are appreciated.

And special thanks to model Kelsey Dylan (https://www.modelmayhem.com/ifyougetcon … entothemus) # 1223875 who has absolutely no fear of anything, bugs, snakes, gators, and the environment. Not only is she very talented but super intelligent spending much of the shoot telling the the scientific name of every plant in the swamp as well as what they can be used for from food to medicines.

Thanks in advance.

Oh, and this is a nude 18 plus image.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/44585849

Sep 09 18 09:16 am Link

Photographer

Square Jaw Photography

Joshua Tree, California, US

I honestly don't know what to make of it. It is very interesting, to say the least. It creates a weird optical illusion.

Oct 06 18 01:02 am Link

Photographer

Znude!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

Square Jaw Photography wrote:
I honestly don't know what to make of it. It is very interesting, to say the least. It creates a weird optical illusion.

Thanks. That's sort of what I was shooting for.

Oct 09 18 10:16 am Link

Photographer

Photo Art by LJ

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

To me it looks like a not-so-well-done composite. It's just strange that where there should be ground, there are tree branches, a model, etc. It's like several photoshop elements were composited together in a strange way that doesn't make any sense.

Just my 2 cents.

Dec 28 18 04:11 pm Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

LONDON Photo Art wrote:
To me it looks like a not-so-well-done composite.

yes, in some ways, the perspective is wrong, no contact shadow, one arm
de-saturates, so there are some technical problems. but in other ways, I
don't think that matters, I spent time looking at it, trying to figure it out and
what it means to the viewer, it's different to everyone and that is the point.

Dec 30 18 12:25 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

I think that you have achieved most of your aim. 

There are some contradictions in perspective that give a surreal, but still plausible, look to the photo.  This aspect is actually very well done because the contradictions are not so obvious that the eye immediately perceives them as fake, but they are strong enough to require a second and third look to try to resolve.

There are none of the giveaways from differences in lighting that weaken similar efforts.

There is a story being told in what seems to be passing between the two models (I guess that it is the same model, but the differences in perspective are sufficient to make the observer wonder if it is the same person or two people, which also adds to the surreal element).

The only thing that I would change would be to remove the snakes, because, to me, they seem to confuse both the composition and the story.  At first glance, the lower model seems to be appealing to the lower model for help, but it does not seem plausible that she is seeking help in dealing with the snakes because the left snake seems more likely to be threatening the (unconcerned or unaware) upper model.  If so, it leaves the snakes with nothing to contribute to the story apart from distracting from whatever is presumed to be passing between the models.

The quibble about the snakes aside, I think that you have done an excellent job of creating a plausible but surreal image that reminds me of the art of Arthur Rackham, specifically his painting of the rhine maidens appealing to Loge for the return of the Rhine gold.

Apr 06 19 04:05 pm Link