Retoucher

RetouchRetouch

Kiev, Kiev, Ukraine

Jan 10 19 12:36 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Not sure if that's the Marcel Marceau way of asking for a critique, but feedback on retouching is pretty tough to do without a before-after comparison. Without knowing what you started with, it's impossible to tell what you did yourself.

Jan 10 19 09:11 pm Link

Photographer

Camerosity

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Just for the record, I’m not a big fan of before-and-after comparisons. In most cases, the changes that make the most obvious and dramatic differences can be made in 2-3 minutes by moving a few sliders in ACR or LR.

Move the sliders the right way, you’re a genius, and you can get a “Wow!” from the first few minutes of work.

The devil is in the details. When you’re comparing two versions of a photo, the photos will be half their “normal” size, and that makes it twice as difficult to see the “details” – like the skin work, the work on the eyes and hair, etc.

It’s kinda like the difference in looking at a diamond in a showcase and focusing on the sparkle (which has a lot to do with the lighting) vs. looking at the cut, the inclusions and the color consistency with a loupe.

I’ve looked at your portfolio 2-3 times before, but didn’t have the time to write a critique then.

There isn’t anything in your portfolio that I wouldn’t be happy to have in mine. In a few cases, the colors aren’t exactly how I’d want them (a little too much red for my taste in a couple of photos, for example), but that doesn’t mean that it isn’t exactly what the photographer in question wanted.

There are three things that stand out to me. 1) Your skin and hair work is superb. 2) You know how to make colors pop. 3) You clearly understand that, with light skin the shape, depth and dimension are defined by the shadows, and with dark skin it’s defined by the highlights.

Two thumbs up.

Jan 12 19 12:09 am Link