Forums > Model Colloquy > Being an “influencer”

Model

Ivy Wild

Jersey City, New Jersey, US

I have thus far rejected all of the requests I have had to be an influencer, for many reasons. But I am wondering how it is viewed in the industry. Models, do you do it, and why? Photographers, do you find it increases or decreases the credibility of the model?

Jan 25 19 10:10 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

As a Photographer I am quite open to working with Models who are Influencers in order to develop my photography skills , experience new experiences and gain more follower for my social media

Jan 25 19 10:42 am Link

Model

Alexandra Vincent

Asheville, North Carolina, US

I've only ever been asked twice and I found it weird, because I rarely wear clothing in any of my work. I'm not sure what a company would stand to gain by having a nude model wear their t-shirts.

In both cases, it required actually buying the clothing, which I found to be extremely overpriced. I'd probably post pictures of myself wearing a garment for a company if it was sent for free, at cost of shipping, or maybe $5 or so (if I really liked the clothing, or they were extremely unique).

I get all my daily life clothing from the dollar day rack at Goodwill, and have little interest in clothing in general, so I certainly wouldn't pay $30 to wear someone else's t-shirt for them. I don't know what's in "fashion," and people who follow my instagram mostly probably don't know either, or care.

If a model is focused on fashion, or simply has a personal interest in clothes, it might suit them to do something like that. I mostly wear boys' sweats on a daily basis and model nude 90% of the time. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me, any way I slice it really.

Jan 25 19 10:44 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Instagram influencer - Full time career

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles … ime-career

Jan 25 19 12:14 pm Link

Photographer

C.C. Holdings

Los Angeles, California, US

You exchange followers for goods and services. Sometimes you get/experience goods and services that are worth vastly more than you would ever get paid or rationally spend your money on.

Has nothing to do with being able to book internet photographers. We'll still be here.

Jan 25 19 02:49 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

When it comes to credibility and whether or not I want to book a model, I first and foremost decide if they are a match for whatever I'm doing based on their portfolio.  I look for any red flags based on their portfolio, communications or any other way I know of them.  I of course consider desired rates, TF, etc.   Whether a models has been an influencer or not is mostly irrelevant.  If I was ever to shoot stock again, I might see it as a small positive.

This is of course MM, so I don't presume my views or most will necessarily reflect actual industry views. 

Computer generated virtual influencers are of course becoming more popular, something that decreases the need for both real life models and photographers.

Jan 25 19 03:12 pm Link

Photographer

Jarrett Porst

I'm all for it.  It brings a commercial value to a models brand.  IG, to those that want it to be, is one's own private branding channel.  Decades ago, NBC - CBS - ABS - whatever; those were the only channels to watch.  Now, we have over a billion channels. Facebook, IG, YouTube, 500px, ModelMayhem, Bla-bla-bla,,, these are some of the platforms we watch our channels on.  Some boring some fascinating.   

I've heard of an IG channel making $2000 for wearing a watch on two posts and one story for an influencer that had 500k following at the time.  Some models, $200-$350+ for one post and one story.  The trick is to understand how to measure your value and sell it to the client. 

Sought After influencers:
https://www.instagram.com/lewishowes/?hl=en
https://www.instagram.com/marooshk/?hl=en
https://www.instagram.com/katelyn_runck/?hl=en
https://www.instagram.com/nick__bateman/?hl=en

Good luck to you

J.

Feb 05 19 11:25 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Last model I shoot who is obsessed with Social Media, couldn't put her phone down during the shoot.
The shoot had to stop while she was shooting selfies.
I cant see working with these types again unless I am paid to.

Feb 05 19 02:41 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:
Last model I shoot who is obsessed with Social Media, couldn't put her phone down during the shoot.

I'm curious as to what exactly the felt her selfies to be posted on social media would influence people exactly.   Did they rush out to buy something she was wearing?

Regardless, I wouldn't put up with that either, unless of course paid.

Feb 05 19 07:13 pm Link

Admin

Model Mayhem Edu

Abbitt Photography wrote:
I'm curious as to what exactly the felt her selfies to be posted on social media would influence people exactly.   Did they rush out to buy something she was wearing?

Not all actions on social media are meant to drive sales, in fact, very few serve that purpose, but the content and activity itself is valuable. It's also possible the model was excited about the shoot and wanted to share it with her friends/followers. Either way, the selfies can be used to promote the model's profile in many different ways on multiple platforms.

Feb 06 19 09:53 am Link

Model

Alexandra Vincent

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Abbitt Photography wrote:

Regardless, I wouldn't put up with that either, unless of course paid.

These types of photos inspire follower engagement and serve to get one's audience excited to the see the outcomes of shoots.

Many people, for example, hype new/upcoming Patreon offerings through Instagram using this approach, or similar. They are able to target and drive traffic from a free social media platform, onto an income-earning one.

It's actually pretty genius marketing.

Feb 06 19 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

Photo Art by LJ

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I've seen a request on occasion in the castings from an influencer model who was looking to shoot TFP for photos for her instagram.

I didn't ask to shoot since the model didn't seem that attractive... many far more attractive models I've done trade with.

Maybe that was a mistake, lol.

For some of the influencers linked above with 600k+ followers, one has to imagine that being credited as the photographer would likely result in a little traffic coming your way.

Feb 08 19 02:10 am Link

Model

Rada-mila

Berlin, Berlin, Germany

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:

I don’t think it s about influencers really, its more about that she could not manage her job the right way smile

About the topic. I m actually thinking about it right now. There are many advantages in it (in the ability to make money online, especially in pandemic times). But its not as simple.

First: what type of influencers are we talking about? Girls posting pictures in clothes being a “brand ambassador” or is it a blogger where most attention is in texts?

Second: if u r nude model, it s no way to sell clothes. And not because u r naked most of times. But because most of your followers are men (for me it s 93% now) and they don’t buy shorts and bikinis. So u and the brand will be very disappointed with results unless u gain female followers. How? Probably u ll need then to write something women related, and maybe post less purely sexy images (even though i like pretty girls in my feed, but i imagine it more of a “prof deformation” haha).
Then if we do so - how do we keep male audience still interested?
Or maybe we should chose something to sell to male audiences on insta. What could that be except the “only fans subscription”. Any ideas?

Maybe there has to be separate account for modeling and as a blogger/brand ambassador.

Also for photographers I d say it s of advantage to work with influencer model - he could get more exposure.
But maybe she d ask to record a “behind the scenes” during a photoshoot. In case it doesn’t destruct the process - would u agree?

Jul 01 20 05:35 am Link