Forums > Model Colloquy > Efficient workflow as a traveling model

Model

Erin Divine

Chattanooga, Tennessee, US

I was wondering if some more experienced models have found a fairly efficient system for communicating with photographers, planning trips, booking shoots, and keeping track of photographers who have contacted you, but you might not get to their city for some time. Specifically, I get overwhelmed with messages coming at me from all different platforms (insta, facebook, MM, email), all the back and forth, and keeping track of it all. Then there are photographers who contact you for a place you weren't already planning to travel to, but might consider a trip there one day, and so you want to keep a record of photographers that have already contacted you to work together from that area.

Apr 27 19 10:58 am Link

Model

Alexandra Vincent

Asheville, North Carolina, US

I keep old fashioned notebooks, and write stuff down. I like physical, paper calendars as well, that show the entire month when you open them. I write each shoot, with details, into the day it will occur and keep that with me in my laptop bag.

The act of writing something out by hand helps me remember it, and then everything is all there and easy to refer back to when I need to do so.

Apr 27 19 11:25 am Link

Photographer

fotopfw

Kerkrade, Limburg, Netherlands

Alexandra Vincent wrote:
I keep old fashioned notebooks, and write stuff down. I like physical, paper calendars as well, that show the entire month when you open them. I write each shoot, with details, into the day it will occur and keep that with me in my laptop bag.

The act of writing something out by hand helps me remember it, and then everything is all there and easy to refer back to when I need to do so.

I do the same. I differentiate between things
1. needing follow-up from me, such as info requests
2. assignments in progress, these advance towards #3
3. assignments that are planned and signed for. These go on the big calendar on the wall, indeed: showing an entire month
4. needing follow-up from another towards me, when I contact a model (I'm a photographer)
5. prospects, possibilities without having made a connection, handy for potential MUA's and such, needs no direct attention

And you're right, I too write on paper, it ingrains the subject more than just reading it.
If it's not worth writing, it was not worth reading, that makes me selective in what I digest from the media.

Apr 28 19 10:24 am Link

Photographer

G Reese

Marion, Indiana, US

Agree with others. Write it down. Include details, impressions. Note to self: OP  has killer port.  :-)

Apr 28 19 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

fotopfw

Kerkrade, Limburg, Netherlands

G Reese wrote:
Note to self: OP  has killer port.  :-)

Agreed! Lots of diversity and yet it is coherent.

Apr 28 19 11:28 pm Link

Photographer

Loki Studio

Royal Oak, Michigan, US

What you really need is called a CRM or Customer Relationship Manager System.  You need a central tool to make a contact for each photographer, their location, and track messaging.  Its a ton of work, but the only real tool to match interest with location info.  HubSpot is a popular CRM.

Apr 29 19 10:44 am Link

Model

Erin Divine

Chattanooga, Tennessee, US

Thanks for all the suggestions! At first, I was trying to do more of a computer-based approach, but I already spend so much time on the computer so I am now leaning more toward the analog notebook and calendar approach. Further, I just learned about bullet journaling (google it if you haven't heard of it before) which is a way to keep all kinds of different plans, goals, data, calendars, and information in one notebook, organized, and in many cases, beautiful (pinterest and youtube have lots of ideas for this). Everything gets indexed in the front of the journal too for easy reference. So I am working toward that route.

May 16 19 10:18 am Link

Model

Rada-mila

Berlin, Berlin, Germany

I m just creating folders on every website that i use in private messages - a folder work each city or country. Same in email. (Insta doesn’t work that way sadly, but I don’t get that many offers there yet).
And then when I decide to go to some city i go through all these platforms and find the people in the folder.

Jul 01 20 05:41 am Link

Model

Xaina Fairy

Detroit, Michigan, US

Google Spreadsheet is a magical thing! 😊

Dec 23 20 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

Dan OMell

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

many models I know use just gmail FOR EVERYTHING.

they share and/or copy/paste and/or attach the messages/images from different media sources to the same email address to herself, and it's easy to sort it out by gmail google search, attach tags, move into different gmail folders, create/erase, archive, zip/unzip etc., all inside.

this is not perfect, but it's simple and has proven to be useful.

personally, I use the more advanced, custom-made Linux-console-cloud-based CRM system. it works even when internet connection is sparse and even when there is no connection (caching, etc). mosh/ssh client/server allows you to use free wifi everywhere around the globe safely, via some sort of a protected tunnel with very strong automatic hidden key, and you don't need to enter any password (non-linear encryption). even if someone got access to your physical device and private key, they still need to figure out very long and not obvious pass phrase, to use this key. it's overkill, of course, but it's by design as an integral part of the industry standard solution. you can use the (remote or local) terminal app on any computerized device, even the most ancient cell phone (slightly hacked), it does not consume any resources.

Aug 28 21 05:31 pm Link