Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > Retouching Critique

Retoucher

Studio Eiler

Chicago, Illinois, US

Please let me know what I could improve about this retouch. Thank you all.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/190923/13/5d892c073b8f0.jpg

Sep 23 19 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

clayton cooper

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I would recommend easing up on your skin smoothing by 90 percent. You've removed all sense of skin texture: no pores are visible, no lines... A good rule of thumb for retouching skin is that if you can see that it has been retouched, you're doing too much.

Just a note that the texture and tone of the skin on her face doesn't match with the skin on her hands.

Other than that, the levels/curves could be adjusted to create a bit more pop. I'd go for a bit more depth with the contrast between the shadows and the highlights but that's more of a personal preference kind of thing.

Hope that helps (and doesn't hurt too much).

Clayton Cooper
WWW.CLAYTONCOOPER.COM

Sep 24 19 11:22 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Pretty much what Clayton said, though Im not sure about the skin being overprocessed...  the image is too dim and washed-out for me to tell. The lighting was also a bit flat, so I can't tell if the lack of skin texture is due to overprocessing or just soft light.

For starters, try lightening the image and kicking up the contrast.

You might also consider kicking up the catchlight in her eyes,

Sep 25 19 07:38 pm Link

Model

Sandra Vixen

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

The big texture seems to noisy for the center subject. Takes away from her.

I'd suggest smoothing out the background

Oct 10 19 04:43 pm Link

Photographer

Fist Full of Ish

Aiken, South Carolina, US

The contrast/sharpness of the eyes, mouth, earring, and hair at the top of the forehead is too much.  It looks odd.  Back off on it 30-50% and it'll look better.  If I saw this picture out of this context, I would notice the problem immediately.  Also, avoid emphasizing wrinkles in clothing in this case.  Avoid sharpening the background.  Typically, avoid sharpening hair.  In this case, back-off 80%.  The contrast is too high in many parts of the picture, like her shirt.

Oct 28 19 01:20 am Link