Forums > Model Colloquy > With a heavy heart

Photographer

Michael DBA Expressions

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

It’s with a heavy heart that I have to let the MM community know that one of our own, model Evelyn Sinclair, MM 3896652, was struck and killed by a train this evening while crossing the tracks on foot near Lynchburg, Virginia.

I met her for the first time this afternoon and we’d planned a shoot tomorrow. She went for a walk, and did not come back. We just found out about her death minutes ago, and I’m still in shock. Such a beautiful and sweet young woman, killed instantly by a train.

Boys and girls, stay the hell off the tracks.

Oct 08 19 08:52 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Michael DBA Expressions wrote:
It’s with a heavy heart that I have to let the MM community know that one of our own, model Evelyn Sinclair, was struck and killed by a train this evening while crossing the tracks on foot near Lynchburg, Virginia.

I met her for the first time this afternoon and we’d planned a shoot tomorrow. She went for a walk, and did not come back. We just found out about her death minutes ago, and I’m still in shock. Such a beautiful and sweet young woman, killed instantly by a train.

Wow... what a sad, sudden and shocking news!

My condolences, Michael!

Udor

Oct 08 19 08:55 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Sad and terrible news indeed.

Oct 09 19 12:06 am Link

Photographer

63fotos

Flagstaff, Arizona, US

My condolences.

Oct 09 19 08:45 am Link

Artist/Painter

Art of Vincent Wolff

Wheaton, Illinois, US

what an awful story...I'm so sorry!

Oct 09 19 09:08 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

All my best to her family and friends. This is very sad.

Oct 09 19 09:16 am Link

Photographer

matt-h2

Oakland, California, US

Very sad. I shout with her a year ago, and enjoyed her and the work we created. May her memory be a blessing.

Michael DBA Expressions wrote:
It’s with a heavy heart that I have to let the MM community know that one of our own, model Evelyn Sinclair, MM 3896652, was struck and killed by a train this evening while crossing the tracks on foot near Lynchburg, Virginia.

Oct 09 19 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

highStrangeness

Carmichael, California, US

Oh god... I just shot with her a month ago.  I can't believe this happened...

Truly sad...

Oct 09 19 10:08 pm Link

Model

Model MoRina

MacMurdo - permanent station of the US, Sector claimed by New Zealand, Antarctica

Such a shame to see a talented artist leave so young.

Oct 10 19 05:52 am Link

Photographer

Angel House Portraits

Orlando, Florida, US

Its hard to believe she did not know a train was coming. I live close to train tracks and you can even feel the ground vibrate. This alone should be enough even if your listening to music. They also blow a powerful horn sound you can hear a mile away.

Oct 10 19 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

Michael DBA Expressions

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

MoRina wrote:
Such a shame to see a talented artist leave so young.

Indeed. Such a beautiful person and soul, so talented, and hard working, so much potential, only 21 years old, gone.

Please, everyone, stay off the train tracks.

Oct 10 19 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

Michael DBA Expressions

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Angel House Portraits wrote:
Its hard to believe she did not know a train was coming. I live close to train tracks and you can even feel the ground vibrate. This alone should be enough even if your listening to music. They also blow a powerful horn sound you can hear a mile away.

This is such a commonly held misunderstanding that it requires comment. We all experience the passage of trains FROM BESIDE THE TRAIN. Beside the tracks, you can’t miss the noise and vibration. But all that noise and vibration exists solely to the side. Directly in front of the train, the approach of a train is almost silent. It is so very easy to hear nothing until the train is upon you. Even that powerfully loud horn does not project down the track as loudly as you might think. What’s more, trains out in the countryside travel at speeds in the 60-80 mph range and will cover the gap from a tiny spec in the distance to right beside you in seconds. A single minute inattention chimping a photo you just took will make you a pancake by the train a mile away when you took the photo.

How long do you think it might take you to climb down off the tracks if your main concern was slipping, tripping, of otherwise face planting? Fifteen seconds, maybe? In that span, the train a quarter mile away when you started will kill you.

My wife, in talking with a coworker from the Richmond office, heard that three people a month get hit by trains in that city, mostly young people wearing earbuds and watching screens. If we value our children at all, we need to do a much better job impressing upon them the truth of the danger of railroad tracks. And THAT requires making clear to the adults in their lives that all that noise and vibration from the passing of a train does not project down the tracks in front of the train where one can kill you.

Oct 11 19 05:29 am Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

Michael makes a very good point. When I was a very young boy (with good hearing!) I came too close to being mowed down by a train. I was playing on the tracks and happened to look up to see it coming toward me. I had not heard it! I doubt I have ever moved as fast as I did that moment! One just doesn't hear them coming.

We have all seen RR crossing that have no guard gates. The railroad people will tell you they are very expensive etc. So what? If such a crossing is in our area we should demand the RR put in a gate. Not knowing the location where this girl died I have no idea if there was a gate, warning signs or anything. It would be interesting to know.

I agree with those who say, "stay off the tracks".

Oct 11 19 07:30 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Angel House Portraits wrote:

I can hear the trains in the freight yard coupling and working from at least a half mile away.  I can hear the whistle blow at the station for passenger service a mile away.  And at a friend's farm, I can hear the freight trains MILES away.  None of that is relevant and it is a mindset that will prove deadly to you if you are around rails, as it does to hundreds of people in the US every year.  If they are that easy to hear, then why are there so many fatalities?  These fatalities stretch back to long before there were walkman's, much less smartphones.

You should research the numbers.  The non-suicides that occur at crossings and along the tracks are astounding for a machine that is so big and loud.

It isn't stupid people that get killed, either.  Locally, in Valley Forge, two men were killed some years ago.  At least one had a phD.   But there is a curve in the tracks and the engineer had no chance to avoid them. 

I have to work along railroads from time to time.  We hear the trains coming, not when they are close, but when they are far away, up or down river, when we are effectively listening from the side, not from the front.  We pick up our stuff and move to the woods right away.  I do not want to file paperwork with OSHA or tell my employee's wife what happened.  Most of the time, we are near the rails for periods of minutes.  If we have a job that requires us to be there for a duration, the railroad charges us hundreds of dollars a day to have a guy from the railroad be a spotter for us.  He sits there with an air horn, on the side of the tracks, to give warning.  Once, working near an Acela line, the train was the size of a pin head when we first received warning from the spotter.  It was there in moments.  If you are in a road cut or on a bridge, you may have no place to go.

Unless there are trees at least several feet tall, growing up between the ties, consider the line active and stay off the tracks and the right of way.  There are other hazards related to trains.  You don't have to be on the rails to get killed.  And the fines are huge if the railroad cops catch you on their property.

Oct 11 19 09:53 am Link

Photographer

Guillermo Ther

Providence, Rhode Island, US

Evelyn, So a beautiful person, always a pleasure to chat and shoot with her. Vibrant, full of ideas. RIP.

Oct 13 19 11:44 am Link

Photographer

matt-h2

Oakland, California, US

So what's the right thing to do WRT stage names for deceased models? I found an obit online, but it's with her real name, so I'm a bit reluctant to post it.

Oct 13 19 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Melton

Dallas, Texas, US

Wow, I'm in shock!  I have hosted Evelyn in my home once before and I was due to host her again in 2 weeks when she came to Dallas!

I was just checking her profile today to make sure her schedule hadn't changed - when I discovered that she had passed away!

I really liked Evelyn...this is SO SAD!!

Oct 14 19 09:16 am Link

Photographer

Pacific NW Photography

Redmond, Washington, US

This is terrible, I just photographed her back in June.

So sorry to hear this. PLEASE stay off train tracks

Oct 24 19 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

Fairfield, California, US

Yes, this is extremely sad! We will probably never know what happened.
It's actually VERY easy to get hit by a train, I was almost hit one time, here's how it happens.....
You are gonna run across the tracks but there is a train coming, so you wait to sprint until it passes. The longer the traing and faster it's moving the more dangerous.
You're concentrating on the end of the train to run across. As soon as the train speeds by you run across the tracks.
BUT unbeknownst to you, there is a fast moving train behind that train traveling in the opposite direction.
If it arrives at the exact moment you're gonna run across, as was the case in my situation, you'll never hear it OR see it because both the view and the sound is 100% drowned out by the train right in front of you and the tracks are very close together with only a couple feet separating the two trains!
I've since read that deaths in that fashion are quite common.
It doesn't make it less tragic, but it does happen easily!
RIP Evelyn
John

Nov 01 19 09:32 pm Link

Photographer

Heinrich Bluttraumer

San Antonio, Texas, US

Very sad to hear, trains can surprise you depending on your surroundings.

Nov 14 19 12:09 am Link

Photographer

Michael DBA Expressions

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

John Silva Photography wrote:
{snip}We will probably never know what happened.{snip}
RIP Evelyn

Oh, we know what happened. Trains carry video cameras, front as well as inside. There’s video of the approach, the getaway, the east side, the north side, etc. Virginia State Police investigated thoroughly. The moral of the story: STAY THE HELL OFF THE TRACKS, ESPECIALLY IF YOU AREN’T PAYING ATTENTION.

EDIT: in 2018, 700 pedestrians trespassing on train tracks were killed in the US, and another 700+ were injured. STAY OFF THE TRACKS!

Nov 14 19 07:54 am Link

Photographer

Dario Western

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Sorry to hear the news, Michael.  May she RIP. <3

Jan 20 20 12:22 am Link

Photographer

HarryL

Chicago, Illinois, US

So young & beautiful.  It  brings tears to my eyes RIP Angel!!

Jan 21 20 05:04 pm Link

Photographer

HarryL

Chicago, Illinois, US

Jan 21 20 05:04 pm Link