Forums > Model Colloquy > Is 50 to 55 F too cold to shoot?

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

I have a propane tank heater that attaches to the top of tank, comes in two different Btu ratings and it along with a robe of jacket works wonders on cool day.

depending on where you shoot it may or may not be allowable under fire regulations and not for indoor use.

Oct 15 21 11:51 am Link

Photographer

Dan OMell

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

reminds me the Russian photographer Eva Milkonskaya

this is the google search with the following set of the key words: winter, Eva, Milkonskaya
https://www.google.com/search?q=eva+mil … p;tbm=isch

mostly naked people in the snow or in the freezing icy water -- beautiful.
(1) being a model is not easy
(2) there is a Russian saying "Art Requires Sacrifice"

and the last time I check, all of them do this for free.
(not implying anything by that -- just giving an example for adoration and respecting their sacrifices).

Nov 08 21 07:06 pm Link

Clothing Designer

veypurr

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

Bob Helm Photography wrote:
I have a propane tank heater that attaches to the top of tank, comes in two different Btu ratings and it along with a robe of jacket works wonders on cool day.

depending on where you shoot it may or may not be allowable under fire regulations and not for indoor use.

early

I used mine indoors. The rock band I was in used to practice in a building with no heat. Those things can get super hot. It was the dead of winter and we would be practicing with our shirts off.

Nov 08 21 07:43 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:
Cold is relative.

It certainly is.

Nov 09 21 05:19 am Link

Model

Avery Wilson

Fort Worth, Texas, US

Overall depends on what the photographer or model wants to shoot in.
I have shot in 50°F degree weather before 😩😂🤣🤣😭 wasn't pleasant but oh well.

Nov 11 21 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

Jon Winkleman Photo

Providence, Rhode Island, US

In general if the model is nude, in underwear or swimwear, yes. I have had a number of new models want to do snow and ice shoots or who say they can work in 50 degree weather. Yes they can last 10-15 minutes. However the problem is getting them warm again on location. If there is a car nearby with the heat blasting, yes they will warm up. Just putting on warm insulated clothes will not quickly warm them up after their body and extremities become cold.

There are some models who I have been able to work with for longer productive shoots at 50 degrees or even colder. Those are the models who acknowledge and accept that they are going to be really cold and uncomfortable. It does not work with the male and female models with a macho swagger “I don’t mind the cold” “I can take it” “I like the cold.”

Nov 17 21 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

woodpaint51

Arlington Heights, Illinois, US

Not at all. Check with your model on her comfort level outdoors. I've done winter snow shoots and just having big puffy boots and a thick warm robe helps.  Keep extra robe ,towels, etc. in a big soft insulated container with lots of body or hand warmies inside of it. Warm thermos of beverages too.   And if lucky to do it in a backyard of snow with a hot tub, you're in for plenty of warming time between poses and pics.   A brisk wind kills more shoots than the actual temperature.

Dec 10 21 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

Varton Photography

New York, New York, US

SierraPhotographics wrote:
Just wondering if the temperature in the range of 50 to 55 F is too cold for a shoot.

I don't like cold in general unless I am skiing wink
55 may not be that bad but any temperature below 55 is a show stopper for me. smile

Jan 11 22 05:24 am Link

Photographer

Express Unlimited

San Diego, California, US

Vector One Photography wrote:
Aw, come on...shouldn't you be asking the model that you want to use that question ?  To some models yes...to some models no. And will she be naked or wearing a mink coat ?  What we think is useless, ask the person that has stand there in that weather.

this

Mar 03 22 10:11 am Link