Forums > Model Colloquy > What to wear to a fitness modeling interview?

Model

Jessica H Leigh

Los Angeles, California, US

What guidelines would you recommend for an interview with a modeling agency's fitness department? I've always felt confident with what to wear for commercial/theatrical agencies, or black dresses and heels for modeling agencies when I was in high school, but I'm not sure what would be both professional and athletically-flattering at the same time when walking into an interview primarily for fitness modeling. What do you think would be best and what they're expecting after calling you in from your fitness photos?

Thanks!

Oct 22 19 12:45 am Link

Photographer

WEST IMAGE

Agoura Hills, California, US

Hi Jessica,

A classy yet somewhat casual solid color bodycon dress should be fine as it offers positive visual reinforcement and confidence regarding your current physique without showing too much in the process.  If not, a fitted top and fitted jeans could also work.  (Solid colors - anything but black :-) )

Your instaccount has plenty of you in competition wear so no need for you to be trying on bikinis or others while you're there.  They may Polaroid you with the standard four-shot but any specifics they want you to be wearing should be mentioned before you get there; not while.

Hope they're legit and those interviews go well!

Oct 22 19 07:29 am Link

Photographer

Jarrett Porst

A well fitted slightly loose, summer dress with new fitness garments/shoes underneath.  Make them brand name, Nike, Adidas, Puma.  Natural look on all makeup.  No hats, flip-flops, fashion sun glasses.  Then rock it.  Walk tall.  Interact not over react.  Have fun with it.  Good Luck.

Oct 22 19 01:39 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Ask them.

Oct 22 19 03:25 pm Link

Model

Jessica H Leigh

Great, thank you guys! Sorry for the delay in responding - Yeah, that brings up my second point that some agencies want you wearing NO makeup at all, but I'd agree a natural approach in makeup (especially when you aren't 17 lol) is probably best.

Oct 28 19 01:07 pm Link

Model

KRGrant

Chicago, Illinois, US

So, I keep seeing people say wear dresses, but I would not wear a dress to a casting unless it was for runway with a  designer who specifically did dresses to show how your fit works.  When it comes to fitness castings they want to see your body, tone etc.  So, it's better to go with the modeling basics of tight fitting black jeans/tights, a raised sports shoe to add height and a tight fitting black shirt(variations apply, style is key).  Of course, you can add or subtract from this depending on season, style etc, but if you show up, and they can't see the lines of your body, it can work against you.  Of course, that's from my experience.  Everyone has their own opinion when it comes to castings, but to me simple, tight and stylish is the way to go.  Also, yeah no make up or a natural look is best. 

Not sure if I'm too late to the party, but here ya go. xD

Nov 16 19 05:05 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

KRGrant wrote:
So, I keep seeing people say wear dresses, but I would not wear a dress to a casting unless it was for runway with a  designer who specifically did dresses to show how your fit works.  When it comes to fitness castings they want to see your body, tone etc.  So, it's better to go with the modeling basics of tight fitting black jeans/tights, a raised sports shoe to add height and a tight fitting black shirt(variations apply, style is key).  Of course, you can add or subtract from this depending on season, style etc, but if you show up, and they can't see the lines of your body, it can work against you.  Of course, that's from my experience.  Everyone has their own opinion when it comes to castings, but to me simple, tight and stylish is the way to go.  Also, yeah no make up or a natural look is best. 

Not sure if I'm too late to the party, but here ya go. xD

I think this is the best response so far

Nov 16 19 10:59 am Link

Model

KRGrant

Chicago, Illinois, US

Garry k wrote:

I think this is the best response so far

Thanks, but I'm just sharing what I know lol. It's the basic law of any casting.  I mean you could wear other colors, but the intent is to accentuate the form.  Usually, browns or blues are acceptable, but generally they prefer a grey or dark tone to them.  Pure white, grey, red, yellow etc. will make you seem like traffic light, and can make you seem bigger than you actually are.  Besides, no matter what color your wearing, the casting director or client isn't looking at that.  They want to see your face and body and see what presence you bring, and you need to be able to bring it in the bare minimum.  If they want to see you in other clothes then they will provide them (at least in the case of a professional casting, it all depends as most things).  ._.

Nov 16 19 11:07 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

i have participated in several castings for our Fashion Week

which of course are castings for a range of fashions

Form fitting clothing . hair back . minimal makeup  and a low heel is what i prefer to see

Nov 17 19 09:29 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

Search Pinterest for wardrobe ideas that are in-line with what you think they may be looking for and that you will be comfortable with.

Nov 18 19 07:59 am Link

Photographer

BMA PHOTO

Pawtucket, Rhode Island, US

Jessica H Leigh wrote:
Great, thank you guys! Sorry for the delay in responding - Yeah, that brings up my second point that some agencies want you wearing NO makeup at all, but I'd agree a natural approach in makeup (especially when you aren't 17 lol) is probably best.

Well no makeup doesn't make sense for then they don't know what you look like with and without. It does look like you have too much on MM images.

They want to see ability to sell. The lose is the way not to go but not too tight. All matching top to bottom so no NIKE with under armour shoes. Gymshark with Nike shoes is fine. I've done lots of interviews and having the ability to sell, nice personalty without too much makeup which would be a killer. Agencies want the ability to sell. Going forward you do want images about your featues without hands extending out and always full eyebrows. Hope the interview went great.!

Nov 25 19 11:20 am Link

Photographer

Jarrett Porst

it's been months.  How did it go?

Jan 02 20 09:20 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Jarrett Porst wrote:
it's been months.  How did it go?

Last activity on her account was Nov 17. I doubt we'll get an answer.

Jan 02 20 10:09 am Link