Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > Srsly thinking of quits...maybe critique will help

Photographer

GD Manchild Photography

Austin, Texas, US

Some of my images get a decent number of views, but I don't get a whole lot of feedback or comments. I don't do a lot of C4C because they all tend to be the same and pretty much fake. It's hard to get feedback from the models because they don't know how to give or just want to say something like, "Looks great to me!"

This is something I love to do and have been doing since my dad started teaching me when I was 7, but I'm thinking of walking away to concentrate on painting or some other creative outlet. I feel like I'm in the vacuum of space with this, or on an island.

So, please, seriously critique my port. I'd like to know if I should keep going or just call the whole thing quits and move on.

Nov 25 19 09:53 am Link

Photographer

BMA PHOTO

Pawtucket, Rhode Island, US

Hi,
There's no reason to equate comments on MM to any status outside of fun. Ports alot better than many. But very obvious you don't know what the purpose of a model image is and what is found to be sexy where you are shooting Maxim style. Lots of shadows you don't want or flat footed. No fingers, arms, knees but you need to be shooting model features and as many as possible. You're images need to show what makes the model special and beautiful and capture a mood to energy and of course personality in general  with the fewest distractions.

For you and the others putting their logos all over images you are killing the energy and wow factor,  A magazine cover look is fine, have many myself. But the last thing you want the viewers eye is to be looking at logos and fingers first. Removes any chance of a wow facto, especially going thru whole image in middle. Such an image killer.

Models hand out on Instagram where the quite gal can be a star, all model sites are not what they are for that reason even tho MM is set up to be far superior for those who want images.

Quitting serves no purpose. I like many of your shots but they are shot very ineffectively,
an example

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/45666939

Models left hand looks like male genitals and right hand breaks up body lines, and draws eyes away from models figure, You do not want hands on legs unless done correctly with energy from the front for glamour. You also are posing the model very ineffectively not understanding what to do, You need the other leg forward to showcase tummy and lower abs and V muscle or the leg you have forward much more to make it a bum shot which isn't being done here. Why is the sky being the subject matter? no special hurricane. You're model should be the focus and take up that space the sky is wasting. Like the lighting and mood to gorgeous model and mood, but you got to do more than just click the shutter. Pose the hair too yet it's fine here. Lucky you to have the possibillity of outdoor nudes. Just about impossible in NE the last 10 years and with phone cameras everywhere,

Nov 25 19 10:29 am Link

Photographer

GD Manchild Photography

Austin, Texas, US

I agree with what you're saying. A lot of what I shoot is done semi-dangerously. Give some instruction, run out to the spot, take a burst when the last car rolls by, and hope for the best. You can definitely tell the difference between the ones that are posed thoughtfully and the ones are semi-candid. Just an explanation for why some turn out the way they do.

Nov 25 19 11:42 am Link

Photographer

HeartSpur

Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China

It's something I'm guilty of as well, but you have way too many photos on your portfolio. Take the time to slim down your portfolio. Sliming down your portfolio doesn't just make it easier for others to see your best images, it's an exercise that forces you to think clearly about your philosophy in photography, what you're trying to say with your images, and why certain images are better than others. If you feel like you're going nowhere, it's possible you're just lacking a direction - which you could discover by developing a more discerning eye.

Nov 25 19 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Frankly a lot of what you have is first rate.   Let me ask you this.   Do you shoot for what others may or may not think or do you shoot because you enjoy photography.   Unless you have paying clients what people think about your work doesn't mean much and goodness on a website like this where supersaturated dreck people praise... You clearly enjoy what you are doing.  Most of your models are lovely.  What I would consider is paring some of your images down.   Get rid of that watermark by the way.   Make a smaller one or don't include one at all.   Don't repeat images.   Unless its part of a series.

Years ago I shot an agency signed model.   She LOVED being photographed.  Never asked for a dime and to be candid I don't recall she ever used a photo I did of her.   Do what you love and don't worry about views or comments.

Nov 26 19 07:05 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Don't despair cus there is hope

I am just an average photographer ( now ) but when i joined MM more than a decade ago - I worked it so that i got a lot of views  . comments etc

However I seriously started working on my IG about 8 mos ago ( with newer and better images ) and am struggling to retain 300 followers

I really dont take the popularity thing very seriously - but I do strive to attract a certain type of Model and to improve my Photography . My self assessment is that I am doing ok in both regards

Now for some feedback regarding your portfolio here

You need to reduce it by at least half as there are way too many weak images dragging it down . Generally speaking your Color Shots are stronger than your Black and White .. However that being said - Some of your colored shots are off color ( ie too yellow ) Maybe a few of those shots can be re edited to correct the color but i suspect the problems are more fundamental - ie white balance issues

Unless You have a really strong set of images from a particular shoot - more than 2 photos are redundant

You have an eye for Good  Models ( and they are probably quite used to seeing images of themselves - so dont expect too much excitement from them for any work that is less than stellar )

Your Strength I think - are those standing Nudes in your portfolio  including the one of the Model hitch hiking  on the Road ( make this the new standard for your work )

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/45855811

Nov 26 19 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

GD Manchild Photography

Austin, Texas, US

Thanks all for the critique. I usually don't make much time for post unless I'm getting paid, and I switched from Canon to Sony not that long ago and still am not as familiar with Sony as I'd like to be. Part of the WB issue, I think is sometimes handling post on two different computers--I have a PC at work and a Mac at home, so I tend to use whichever one is handy at the time. I think the PC monitor isn't calibrated correctly, but I'm going to work on processing the same image on each computer and seeing which one creates the yellowish tone (though, to be candid, there are some shoots where I used a 25% sepia filter, but I don't think any of those are in my port here).

I hear what everyone is saying about the watermarks and having my port cluttered with older, inferior stuff. I'll work on weeding images out and won't use the watermark going forward.

Dec 04 19 01:33 pm Link

Photographer

GD Manchild Photography

Austin, Texas, US

Garry k wrote:
Some of your colored shots are off color ( ie too yellow ) Maybe a few of those shots can be re edited to correct the color but i suspect the problems are more fundamental - ie white balance issues

So...I think you're mostly talking about shots like this: https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/44749071

Those were all edited on a PC and the monitor was unfortunately set to 'cool.' I'm not sure why I didn't think to check it, or why it never dawned on me.

Edit: here's the new one: https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/45970295

I could probably warm it up a bit, but that's closer to what the original neutral RAW image looked like. I have to put more attention into what stuff looks like across different machines instead of just uploading to my port and forgetting about it other than view counts and whatnot.

Dec 08 19 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I am just getting 404 Error Messages when i click on those links

Dec 09 19 07:30 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

It never hurts to take a break or have a go at another art form.

If your new choice becomes your muse then you will be bringing what photography has given you to a new way of expression. If you decide to return to photography you will benefit from what you learned doing somthing else.

It could be another visual art but it does not have to be one. Music, dance, boomerang throwing, anything can become an art if it is approached with a creative spirit.

As to your port, you do NOT have 203 best images. You are "camoflaging" your best work in a confusing manner.
I would suggest you ditch the folders entirely and post only your 30 best images.

If and when you create a better image, replace the "least best" in the 30, do not add another.  As it stands now, some will skim your entire port briefly and move on, most will look at a couple of photos near the top and go elsewhere.

Comments are useless, ignore them and the number of views. Go with your own feelings but trim it WAY down.

Go to some gallery openings, you will never seen an artist displaying everything they've ever created.

Dec 10 19 10:39 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

You've still got nearly 200 images in your portfolio. You could easily cut it down to 50. Even 20-25 would be doable. While your work is somewhat consistent, not all of the images are portworthy. And even among the portworthy material, you've got a ton of redundancy.

One remark of yours that made no sense to me was that you don't bother with postprocessing unless you're getting paid. (If an image needs post and you're going to show it off, do the post. Why put up for display half-done work? Elsewhere you said your monitor isn't calibrated. That suggests that you're doing paid work on a monitor you know is uncalibrated. Hell, if nothing else, break down and buy a cheap Spyder unit.

Dec 13 19 10:53 am Link