Forums > Model Colloquy > I don't do paid shoots !

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

Eric212Grapher wrote:
My Friend Request listing is busting with retouchers. I leave them in purgatory. They cannot send me a message, and they cannot send new Friend Requests.

I believe if you reject a friend request it still shows as pending on the sender's end. So the sender doesn't know if you've chosen to reject or ignore their request. Either way they can't send you another new request.

I would welcome someone's advice as to the accuracy of my belief.

Jan 03 20 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Eric212Grapher wrote:
My Friend Request listing is busting with retouchers. I leave them in purgatory. They cannot send me a message, and they cannot send new Friend Requests.

Camera Buff wrote:
I believe if you reject a friend request it still shows as pending on the sender's end. So the sender doesn't know if you've chosen to reject or ignore their request. Either way they can't send you another new request.

I would welcome someone's advice as to the accuracy of my belief.

Okay. I sent you a friend request. Decline it. Report back, and I will do the same.

Jan 03 20 07:54 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Eric212Grapher wrote:

Eric212Grapher wrote:
Okay. I sent you a friend request. Decline it. Report back, and I will do the same.

Thanks Eric212Grapher, I received and declined your Friend Request. When you go to my About Me page has my Add Me as a friend button reset, or does it say Pending?

Jan 03 20 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

Angel House Portraits

Orlando, Florida, US

mrpgraphic wrote:
Dear sweet ladies / models.
I regularly receive requests from female models who ONLY do paid shoots and I wonder why you don't first read the text below on my profile.

IMPORTANT:
I ONLY PHOTOGRAPH FEMALE MODELS FROM 18 YEARS OR OLDER.
I AM NOT PROFESSIONALLY INVOLVED WITH PHOTOGRAPY AND I HAVE NO CLIENTS!
FOR THAT REASON I ONLY DO TFP SHOOTS.
I ALSO EDIT / RETOUCH MY OWN WORK!

I am on the same boat as you. I don't make monies off the pictures. I don't have clients or sell off the pictures. I have gotten models who contacted me on FB and MM saying how great my work is and later offer me their rates. I told them I don't pay and certainly won't pay $100 to do a shoot which is the norm for models to as $50 an hour for 2 hours minimum. I do concur if you want to boost your portfolio to get with a model with amazing looks. One thing I always do and is go to quality organized photoshoots despite what people say. I see it as a two way street. Those who sit and watch or those who go out and make it happen. If it wasn't for those opportunities I would probably have 4 pictures in my portfolio and put this hobby of mines in question.

Jan 04 20 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

TouchofEleganceStudios

Vallejo, California, US

Art Silva wrote:

#UglyModelsMatter ... don't discriminate

i try to shoot ugly models. My problem is my aim is bad.

Meant as humor. The sad part is that there are models that are 10's but personality wise they are a minus 10. That my friends makes them an ugly person.

Jan 05 20 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Eric212Grapher wrote:

Eric212Grapher wrote:

Camera Buff wrote:
Thanks Eric212Grapher, I received and declined your Friend Request. When you go to my About Me page has my Add Me as a friend button reset, or does it say Pending?

It says "Pending..."
Interesting. Thanks for playing along.
Seems now it is for the receiver of the request to make any further requests back to the declined person. So if you were to send me a friend's request, I could accept, breaking the "Pending..." status, or decline, which leaves us both in "Pending..." status without any means to change it.

I'm confused by this approach. Let's say I send a friend request to a model I'd like to shoot, but she declines the friend's request because she has no intentions of ever shooting with me. When my schedule seems to match hers, I see "Pending..." and I always thought, she simply hasn't bothered to go through her friend's requests. So now, I drop a message to her. She already had decided not to shoot with me by declining the request, yet here I am adding to her inbox. All she can do at this point is block me, and it all started with me sending a friend's request "would you be my friend?" Doubly confusing since non paying members need to be friends before sending a message.

Jan 06 20 08:23 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

It is possible that if you send a FR to someone who has sent you a FR and the FR is marked as pending, it will be deemed as accepted.  I believe that I have sent FR to people, who were pending, but had not been rejected, and the result was that they showed as accepted. 

Resetting the FR status after rejecting it, may depend on logging out and logging in.  I don't know that. but it is possible.

Jan 06 20 01:37 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
It is possible that if you send a FR to someone who has sent you a FR and the FR is marked as pending, it will be deemed as accepted.  I believe that I have sent FR to people, who were pending, but had not been rejected, and the result was that they showed as accepted. 

Resetting the FR status after rejecting it, may depend on logging out and logging in.  I don't know that. but it is possible.

I don't have a Friend Request (FR) that is waiting to be accepted or rejected in order to test your first theory.

I know that if I unfriend an existing friend, their Add Friend button shows as Pending, so I can't send them a Friend Request.

There is an obvious reason why it is not possible to reset another member's Add Friend button when it says Pending. It's to stop a sender whose friend request has been rejected from being able to send you another request.

What I find disappointing is that when I send someone a Friend Request, I never know if they've chosen to reject it, ignore it, or not see it.

Jan 07 20 04:31 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

You could test it by sending a FR.  I will not accept or reject it, but send you an FR.  But I am reasonably confident that we would then appear as friends because it has happened to me before.  In such circumstances as when I welcomed someone in the Newbie section or elsewhere, I may get a FR from them and send one to them, without being aware they sent one.   Logically, if we both send each other a FR, isn't that acknowledging that we would accept the FR?

I don't know if there is an arrangement in the programing to create a once and done forever scenario in FRs.  I am going to say there isn't because there is a guy on here that purges his friends list once in a while.  I know we have been friends before, and then when a need to communicate arises after he purges, we have been added as friends again. 

It is confirmed that as long as a FR is pending, the sending person can not send another FR to someone that has left the FR pending.  It is hard to say if the programmers envisioned the use of 'pending' as a way to block repeated attempts to send FRs, or if it was a happy accident that we use it that way. 

What was this thread about, again?  smile

Jan 07 20 07:24 pm Link

Model

Gelsen Aripia

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

IMAGINERIES wrote:
Since I change my profile to TFP...Total silence except for a couple of models who didn't bother to read my profile....

Since I changed my profile to "Paid Assignments Only"...even more silence than ever before. I needed the internet to help me fully understand just how forgettable people find me to be.

Jan 08 20 09:30 pm Link

Photographer

Gelsen Aripia Images

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Eugenya wrote:
Since I changed my profile to "Paid Assignments Only"...even more silence than ever before. I needed the internet to help me fully understand just how forgettable people find me to be.

That's the way it goes, I guess. If you've got it, you've got it. And if you're boring as fuck, you're boring as fuck. Ain't no gettin' around it...

Jan 08 20 09:49 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Proved me wrong.  I got your FR and clicked on your add friend button instead of accept or deny.  I got a pending and you did not appear on my friends list.

Jan 09 20 05:58 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
Proved me wrong.  I got your FR and clicked on your add friend button instead of accept or deny.  I got a pending and you did not appear on my friends list.

Thanks Hunter.

Jan 09 20 07:47 am Link

Photographer

Logan5

Seattle, Washington, US

Keep in mind many of the people we work with are from the Tinder generation and younger, where communication is all about quantity not quality.  If your profile is too long, like any advertisement much of your message will be lost.  I sometimes send out to models who don't do TFP asking if they have a project idea or something they would like to work on, where I might convince an MUA to join the crew and we all collaborate for free.  My moral is: don't get down on someone who reaches out to you.  All publicity is good publicity.  When a model reaches out for a paid gig and you're not interested but would like to work with him or her, reply back with an interesting idea and a note about TFP.  Most often though I find it is travelling models who reach out for paid work.  But I get it, the trip is costing them money, it is their daily bread.  Have a conversation.  Maybe to pass the time they will switch to $20 per hour to fill a stale morning with practice.  Almost always they are highly experienced and easy to work with, provide valuable feedback about your work on the spot.

Andy

Jan 19 20 01:28 pm Link

Photographer

Logan5

Seattle, Washington, US

Keep in mind many of the people we work with are from the Tinder generation and younger, where communication is all about quantity not quality.  If your profile is too long, like any advertisement much of your message will be lost.  I sometimes send out to models who don't do TFP asking if they have a project idea or something they would like to work on, where I might convince an MUA to join the crew and we all collaborate for free.  My moral is: don't get down on someone who reaches out to you.  All publicity is good publicity.  When a model reaches out for a paid gig and you're not interested but would like to work with him or her, reply back with an interesting idea and a note about TFP.  Most often though I find it is travelling models who reach out for paid work.  But I get it, the trip is costing them money, it is their daily bread.  Have a conversation.  Maybe to pass the time they will switch to $20 per hour to fill a stale morning with practice.  Almost always they are highly experienced and easy to work with, provide valuable feedback about your work on the spot.

Andy

Jan 19 20 01:28 pm Link