Forums > Model Colloquy > How to become a model after 40

Model

Emmen, Drenthe, Netherlands

I started as a model at 43 and now, ten years later, I am still modelling. 
Over the years a got many mails after the interview on Modelmayhem..
I did my very best to answer but most of the times I did not hear if it really worked for you.
I am curious about your stories.  How did it go?  Did you gave it a try and did it worked?
On the internet you only read the succes stories of models, but  am curious about the other stories as well.

I also started a website by the same name to write my own story and tips and tricks.
But Modelmayhem is the best communication platform and I believe there are lots of beautiful 40- en 50 plus models on the mayhem....
Let's talk... again.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/education/m … a-40-model

Jan 10 20 10:50 pm Link

Photographer

CliveStJohn

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland

I, for one, wish there were more over 40 models.

Jan 11 20 02:10 am Link

Model

CliveStJohn, that's very nice to hear !

Jan 11 20 03:36 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I have photographed some of these models.    smile

Jan 11 20 06:16 am Link

Photographer

HOTTIE SHOTS

Memphis, Tennessee, US

I would shoot more models over 40, but I can't find many in my area.

Jan 11 20 07:11 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

At age 67 I'm still modelling, having started at age 35.  There are quite a few mature women who model and enjoy it. Personally, I will never stop as long as there are artists and photographers willing to work with me.

Many of us pose in art classes at colleges or for figure drawing groups and I know of several women in their 70's and some women who are past 80 that still model for artists.  Many of the older models do not have online portfolios and avoid social media, but they are out there and working in their local areas.

Jan 11 20 07:12 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

CliveStJohn wrote:
I, for one, wish there were more over 40 models.

Agreed.  I would paint the OP and MatureModel in a heart beat.

Jan 11 20 07:49 am Link

Photographer

G Reese

Marion, Indiana, US

@ op. Some looks are just ageless. :-)

Jan 11 20 08:43 am Link

Model

I got many questions and email after my interviews. I think it is not easy to start and some forums are overwhelming. But I admire every 'older' model. And I really love the photographers, and artists who are willing to work with them and to create beautiful, divers, pictures and art.

Jan 12 20 02:45 am Link

Photographer

Znude!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

I searched and amazingly there are currently 469 models just in the U.S. who are age 99 and up. Some are over 120.

funny

I actually enjoy working with models a little more mature in age. I encourage anyone of any age to dive in.

Jan 12 20 07:14 am Link

Model

Cherilyn Fontaine

Albany, New York, US

The majority of my port is from age 40 and up 😊
xoxo
Cheri 🍒

Jan 23 20 08:00 pm Link

Model

Michelle Genevieve

Gaithersburg, Maryland, US

Znude! wrote:
I searched and amazingly there are currently 469 models just in the U.S. who are age 99 and up. Some are over 120.

I know! They make it tough for us younger models to find work.

May 25 20 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

rowdan2020

Aiken, South Carolina, US

I had a model who is 43.  Got her from my art class.  Suddenly just retired after 20 years. Didn't explain why to me exactly.  I suspect it had something to do with fact she has two teenagers who are growing up.  Miss her.

May 26 20 09:55 am Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I have a model that is now 44, I've been shooting with her for about ten years.  I just worked with another model who claimed to be 34 but admitted she was really 40.  I think if she used her real age she'd get more work.

Always looking for models over 38 or 40 but ones I want to work with are hard to find.

May 26 20 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

AE Photography

Quartzsite, Arizona, US

I started shooting w/ models because of a mature woman. She wanted to do a nude shoot for her 50th b'day and her bf knew me, knew I was a photog and asked.

She remains the most popular model among those I've worked with and this image is my most popular

warning! 18+  https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/40204434

I believe she was 55 when this was taken.

May 30 20 12:44 pm Link

Model

sflbeauty

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I'm 44. Been modeling for 5 years, I don't get as many bookings because they prefer them younger. I am what I'm am, it is what it is. Can't be everything to everyone. Very comfortable in my own skin.

Aug 16 20 11:09 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

There is a photo of a 40 year old model on the 1st page of my profile.
I recently received a nice comment about her photo.   smile

Aug 17 20 02:46 am Link

Photographer

david durkee

Long Beach, California, US

sflbeauty wrote:
I'm 44. Been modeling for 5 years, I don't get as many bookings because they prefer them younger. I am what I'm am, it is what it is. Can't be everything to everyone. Very comfortable in my own skin.

I'd love to do a shoot with you. Most of the models I seek out for my own work are over 40. If it weren't for that long ass drive from Southern California...

Feb 27 21 07:59 pm Link

Model

nudemm

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I started modeling at 23 and have been consistently modeling ever since, now at 46. I plan to continue modeling as long as artists and photographers are willing to have me.

Mar 11 21 04:21 pm Link

Model

Girlindustrial

San Francisco, California, US

I just turned 45 and have been modeling on and off since I got out of the Army a few years ago.  I do find a lot of photographers listing their casting call for younger models.  Sometimes it is a struggle.  I believe in not letting my age define me.  I strive to stay young and wild at heart.  Its a little hard work and a choice.

Mar 12 21 03:38 pm Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

Girlindustrial wrote:
I just turned 45 and have been modeling on and off since I got out of the Army a few years ago.  I do find a lot of photographers listing their casting call for younger models.  Sometimes it is a struggle.  I believe in not letting my age define me.  I strive to stay young and wild at heart.  Its a little hard work and a choice.

Yes, there will be some castings that prefer younger models.  But over the years, I've been told countless times by a photographer or artist that they specifically wanted me because I was older than the rest and had a look they could work with for their project. In the long run it all balances out.

Mar 13 21 08:14 am Link

Model

nudemm

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I’ve been modeling since I was 23, now 46.
I’m thankful that I continue to have so many modeling opportunities, even more as I get older.
I’ll continue to model as long as artists will have me
Never too old!

Mar 16 21 10:21 am Link

Photographer

rowdan2020

Can't resist bringing up the subject of high-pixel cameras and the whole retouching industry.

I'll never forget the first time I took some closeup, beauty shots of a female friend,  She had just turned 40.

I'll also never forget her reaction when I showed her the images:  "I look so old!"  She mentioned the eye bags.  I was a little embarrassed.

Diana Ortiz, model and wife of Chicago photographer Manny Ortiz, said that, whenever she's approached by a prospective photographer about a shoot, before she commits, she checks out the photographer's portfolio.  She wants to assure herself that the photographer and his/her fancy camera are not going to reveal all her lines, and wrinkles, and things.

At the moment, I'm busy trying to figure out the best way to remove eye bags in PS.

Age and the Fountain of Youth.

Mar 16 21 10:30 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

Most of us get over that, if we ever felt that our photos needed any retouching in the first place.

I've always told photographers that they can feel free to retouch minor details if they choose to for their own needs, but that I'm perfectly OK being represented as I actually look, including lumps, bulges, scars and any other changes that have taken place due to aging.

Mar 16 21 12:15 pm Link

Model

Teresa Lynn 76

Chicago, Illinois, US

I just passed the one year mark with my first professional photos as a new “Over 40” model on Model Mayhem. I admit to still being quite hesitant about jumping in with both feet in this public space. Like some of the comments above, I sometimes worry about looking as attractive as the tens of thousands of younger models online. However, I have received many encouraging words from others, including the four different photographers I have worked with so far. I guess in sum, I am glad I am here and experiencing some new things in my life.

Mar 24 21 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

rowdan2020

Teresa,
Keep smiling.  Keep modeling.  You've been blessed.

Mar 25 21 09:34 am Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

Isn't the answer the same for a 39 year old?

Mar 25 21 09:51 pm Link

Retoucher

happynathan

Shanghai, Shanghai, China

Post hidden on Aug 27, 2021 05:32 am
Reason: violates rules
Comments:
Spam

Aug 26 21 02:58 am Link