Forums > Critique > I want more variety in my portfolio!

Model

Aftan Noon

Dallas, Texas, US

Modeling started off really slow for me and I found my niche with Fitness Modeling. I would like to have more variety in my portfolio. Is that a good Idea to mix it up, and if so what type of content should I be adding? I do not shoot nudes. I am definitely interest in commercial modeling. Other than that what needs improving in my portfolio?

Jan 13 20 08:16 pm Link

Clothing Designer

Baanthai

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

“I love you just the way you are”
                         -Billy Joel

Jan 16 20 06:14 am Link

Model

Aftan Noon

Dallas, Texas, US

Baanthai wrote:
“I love you just the way you are”
                         -Billy Joel

Thanks! I really want any tips on specific improvements I'm sure it just takes time and more practice. smile

Jan 16 20 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

Fist Full of Ish

Aiken, South Carolina, US

You have 157 friends, and most are photographers.  That's relevant.  'More photographer friends is good.  Then, what do they shoot?  Do you post bulletins?  You have a complete set of stats.  That's great.  You list "art" in your genres.  That's great.  I don't know why you're having trouble.  I'd shoot with you, but would you shoot with me?  Are you just picky?  You should be able to find lots of photographers.

Jan 18 20 01:11 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Aftan Noon wrote:
I want more variety in my portfolio!

You're incredibly fit yet I don't see anything of that genre in Your Portfolio.

2c

Jan 18 20 01:16 am Link

Model

Aftan Noon

Dallas, Texas, US

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:
You're incredibly fit yet I don't see anything of that genre in Your Portfolio.

2c

Great Point I don't actually have me doing fitness like things in my port!!! That's a good place to start more commercial fitness shots. Thanks I really appreciate it! I actually never have done a shoot in a gym. Lots of gyms are strict about taking professional photos in them sad

Jan 18 20 11:56 am Link

Model

Aftan Noon

Dallas, Texas, US

Fist Full of Ish wrote:
You have 157 friends, and most are photographers.  That's relevant.  'More photographer friends is good.  Then, what do they shoot?  Do you post bulletins?  You have a complete set of stats.  That's great.  You list "art" in your genres.  That's great.  I don't know why you're having trouble.  I'd shoot with you, but would you shoot with me?  Are you just picky?  You should be able to find lots of photographers.

I haven't been on Model Mayhem in years from 2014-2018 I didn't shoot at all. The last two years I have gotten back into it and just last month I updated my port with all the new photos. I've gotten some bites I just want to become the best I can when it comes to showing different sides of my personality. Goal this year is to get published in a magazine and Im not sure how to go about that?

-Aftan

Jan 18 20 12:00 pm Link

Photographer

DCurtis

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

given your physique, an easy way to add variety to your portfolio is to have images done with other male or female models. they would not need to have the same physique as you. and the contrast could better show your physique.

I am not suggesting images that put other people down.

another idea is to use your image in a different context. like a wedding type image. bored housewife with a physique like yours.

health promote type images. conceptually, there are so many ways you can expand

Jan 22 20 08:12 pm Link

Photographer

Znude!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

You might find openings in sports other than just fitness. Maybe you could add some very well done images of you swinging a tennis racket or baseball bat, golfing, etc. Images in those venues which give a hint at your muscles might appeal to a lot of businesses. Also some images of you as a woman in what is or was a traditionally male dominated job, truck driver, plumbing, service industries, etc. might inject an idea for someone looking to fill an ad campaign. Or maybe that's just crazy. Just throwing out ideas.

And while I do see one outfit that might be considered a business suit maybe add an image or two in an extremely conservative outfit that downplays your physical development mostly but maybe does show off your lower leg muscles.

I've always wondered if too many images might inhibit models getting jobs. There's been a couple of models I've been contacted by that had hundreds of images of every type that I passed on simply because they seemed over exposed. And at least one model I enjoyed working with only had six or so images and never added more, just simple police line up type images that show her standing front, rear, sides, with and without makeup. She only updated them once a year to keep them current. This gave me the impression of a blank canvas from which to create something new. I know these notions are just my faulty thinking but it's how it worked out. So maybe placing a limit might not be bad, a certain number of images in each style, and only the absolute best of each. But this is just an opinion and I"m no expert by any measure.

Jan 23 20 07:02 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

I think you should come shoot with me immediately Miss A  .  .  .  wink  I work with a lot of fitness competitors, athletes, body builders and performers, shooting with "you guys" as a group is wonderful, most have had time in front of audiences of some sort, and know exactly how to visually present themselves, plus the work ethic that comes with your physical accomplishments shines through in what you bring to shoots as well  .  .  .  you may want to try shoots that take advantage of your physical presence, but not be overpowered by it, I shoot a lot of surf, watersports, biker chic (Easyrider Roadware for example), sk8, motorhead, urban fashion, winter sports, outdoor lifestyle, you'd be great for any of it  .  .  .  melding your physicality and still letting your personality come through is the key, both are visually impressive  .  .  .  if you're ever in Florida, keep me in mind, you definitely have an open invite to shoot!

SOS

Jan 23 20 08:43 am Link

Model

Aftan Noon

Dallas, Texas, US

Znude! wrote:
You might find openings in sports other than just fitness. Maybe you could add some very well done images of you swinging a tennis racket or baseball bat, golfing, etc. Images in those venues which give a hint at your muscles might appeal to a lot of businesses. Also some images of you as a woman in what is or was a traditionally male dominated job, truck driver, plumbing, service industries, etc. might inject an idea for someone looking to fill an ad campaign. Or maybe that's just crazy. Just throwing out ideas.

And while I do see one outfit that might be considered a business suit maybe add an image or two in an extremely conservative outfit that downplays your physical development mostly but maybe does show off your lower leg muscles.

I've always wondered if too many images might inhibit models getting jobs. There's been a couple of models I've been contacted by that had hundreds of images of every type that I passed on simply because they seemed over exposed. And at least one model I enjoyed working with only had six or so images and never added more, just simple police line up type images that show her standing front, rear, sides, with and without makeup. She only updated them once a year to keep them current. This gave me the impression of a blank canvas from which to create something new. I know these notions are just my faulty thinking but it's how it worked out. So maybe placing a limit might not be bad, a certain number of images in each style, and only the absolute best of each. But this is just an opinion and I"m no expert by any measure.

Great advice! I really like the idea of doing different sports and bawse babe positions in a mans worlds basically. I understand completely the blank canvas, but being fit I feel Comp Shots wouldn't help me. Like I would be confusing as to where to fit her??? Thanks I really appreciate the feed back!

Jan 23 20 03:38 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Majerski

East Hartford, Connecticut, US

You have a truly amazing and unique look.Very striking.If you want more variety then you should come up with some styling ideas on your own you wish to achieve and hire a photog to execute your concepts to add to your page.Don't wait or depend on others to come up with ideas you like take the bull by the horns and get shooting!!!

Jan 24 20 05:46 am Link

Model

Aftan Noon

Dallas, Texas, US

Richard Majerski wrote:
You have a truly amazing and unique look.Very striking.If you want more variety then you should come up with some styling ideas on your own you wish to achieve and hire a photog to execute your concepts to add to your page.Don't wait or depend on others to come up with ideas you like take the bull by the horns and get shooting!!!

Thank You so much all this advice is motivating. I do sit back when it comes to creating. Bringing an idea of my own to the shoot is a great idea!

Jan 26 20 04:14 pm Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Love your look and I can see you doing well in the fitnessness and bathing suit market. The only negative for me is the first pic second row on the left.  Not my fav of you.  Now,  if you want to expand I would suggest you do some lifestyle and fashion.  You need to shoot in different settings to create the idea of selling a lifestyle.  The easiest is have pictures taken in the gym you work out in working out but selling the gym.  Outdoor activities with a guy.  Make sure the shot is about you not him! No pets they steal the shot every time.  Shopping, dining things like that to sell the idea. Find a great car as a prop.  Fashion.  I bet you have a few more dresses like the one you are wearing.  Find a photographer willing to shoot fashion with you. But not in the studio.  Find an unexpected location and go for it. Do something different with your hair.  You must know a hair and makeup artist you can call?  I wish you were in South Florida!  Rick

Feb 06 20 12:41 am Link

Model

Aftan Noon

Dallas, Texas, US

rick lesser wrote:
Love your look and I can see you doing well in the fitnessness and bathing suit market. The only negative for me is the first pic second row on the left.  Not my fav of you.  Now,  if you want to expand I would suggest you do some lifestyle and fashion.  You need to shoot in different settings to create the idea of selling a lifestyle.  The easiest is have pictures taken in the gym you work out in working out but selling the gym.  Outdoor activities with a guy.  Make sure the shot is about you not him! No pets they steal the shot every time.  Shopping, dining things like that to sell the idea. Find a great car as a prop.  Fashion.  I bet you have a few more dresses like the one you are wearing.  Find a photographer willing to shoot fashion with you. But not in the studio.  Find an unexpected location and go for it. Do something different with your hair.  You must know a hair and makeup artist you can call?  I wish you were in South Florida!  Rick

Thanks for the advice on using more props!!

Feb 09 20 02:18 pm Link