Forums > Model Colloquy > Site is becoming useless

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

The key to getting interest is to constantly check the travel/availability notices. As far as I'm concerned, those are the only models actively seeking work. You used to be able to lurk other members' casting calls to get a sense of who was actively seeking work, but MM took away the casting call comments some time ago, so that's no longer a useful method.

Jun 29 20 12:05 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

John Jebbia  wrote:
The key to getting interest is to constantly check the travel/availability notices. As far as I'm concerned, those are the only models actively seeking work.

... but many of the models create a casting call or travel notice and never check in again, much less reply to legitimate offers.

Jun 29 20 08:45 am Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

SayCheeZ!  wrote:

... but many of the models create a casting call or travel notice and never check in again, much less reply to legitimate offers.

I have shot with mostly traveling models over the last 14 years and have never had one fail to respond to an inquiry from me about a shoot. I have found them to be professional in setting up shoots, arriving on time (even one coming during a Blizzard) and a delight to work with.

Jun 29 20 11:01 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

SayCheeZ!  wrote:

Nothing is foolproof, but it does increase your odds.

Know what drives me insane, is these models who sent out unsolicited work requests, which by itself I have no problem with. I actually appreciate knowing who's currently available. But then you respond that you're interested and they wait until the day before they're supposed to be here to follow up.

Jun 29 20 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

DTP - Photography

Chesapeake, Virginia, US

Bob Helm Photography wrote:
Six isn't really that many/. When I was in sales they said the response rate on direct mail is about 2 %, To make one sale you needed to talk to 5 customers and to talk to five customers you need to have five appointments.

I can understand having a list of models you want to shoot, I know I do but the list that I contact is a lot longer than the just the ones I want to shoot the most.

You make a strong point, I travel a lot and have booked more than 5 shoots in a week on a few occasions but it took over 20 people to get there. Some don't respond, some get flaky and some work out. Persistence pays off. It could be in the message. Yes there are girls on here who I've seen on here for 5 years and their profile remains active but they haven't updated a photo since I friended them 5 years ago, half the time I wonder if they're real people on the other end.

Jun 29 20 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

Perhaps Mayhem should drop the free memberships. People tend to pay attention to what costs them money.

Jun 29 20 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Weldphoto wrote:
Perhaps Mayhem should drop the free memberships. People tend to pay attention to what costs them money.

MM brings in revenue in multiple income streams. Advertising is one of those streams and is based on membership numbers.

Facebook is free, they recently lost billions of dollars of advertising revenue because people want policies changed.

There are serious, constantly repeating coding problems/issues on Model Mayhem. So far, they've not been fixed. Take a good look at the Site Related forum and reconsider.

Do you think with a reduced income stream,  they will find a way to fix something that they haven't been able to fix with their currennt income?  (You can't charge the same amount for lower exposure to ads, they are probably paid by the click).

Or, more likely - will the people who are paying simply bail as well, since it is money spent to have problems, fewer choices, etc.?

You said it yourself - "People tend to pay attention to what costs them money."

Jun 29 20 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Weldphoto wrote:

That would be the bullet in the back of the head for MM
See the historical database for the entry under One Model Place

Jun 30 20 12:23 am Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

John Jebbia  wrote:

Nothing is foolproof, but it does increase your odds.

Know what drives me insane, is these models who sent out unsolicited work requests, which by itself I have no problem with. I actually appreciate knowing who's currently available. But then you respond that you're interested and they wait until the day before they're supposed to be here to follow up.

Then you were just a backup in case someone else cancels.

Jun 30 20 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Weldphoto wrote:

Years ago a site I still have photos on decided to charge members    Models left in droves, quickly followed by lots of photographers.   Those who decided to pay soon left because there were so few models.   When the site owner decided to allow members  have reduced photo slots for free it was too late.   Today the site gets little traffic.   Models for the most part won't pay to be members of sites and with Facebook and IG who could blame them.   My experience has been most models do this for a few weeks or months and quit.   

Photographers tend to have more $$$ and will pay but often leave or only do free memberships when they can't get models.

Jun 30 20 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

Green Wave Photo 312

Chicago, Illinois, US

Weldphoto wrote:

If that happened this site would definitely lose me. Also, doubtful you'd get any new models. Some traveling models might decide it's worth it. But if they were going to try that it seems the time would have been a few years ago when the site was still relevant.

My opinion is taking an opposite approach would be more attractive, allow models and photographers with free memberships to actually contact each other again.

Jun 30 20 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Dea and the Beast wrote:
Then you were just a backup in case someone else cancels.

Well that plan is gonna backfire, with me at least. I tend to plan my shoots out and if they wait till the last minute, I usually already have someone booked.

Jun 30 20 10:18 pm Link

Retoucher

PixelMixer

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Is it “possible” that they are not interested in shooting or doing so w/U?  I don’t know U or your work & have not checked your profile but, sometimes the obvious answer is most accurate

Aug 06 20 04:28 pm Link

Retoucher

PixelMixer

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Is it “possible” that they are not interested in shooting or doing so w/U?  I don’t know U or your work & have not checked your profile but, sometimes the obvious answer is most accurate

Aug 06 20 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

For my part, I link the fall-off to the shuting down of ANTM (At least in the U.S.--(I underswtand it's still showing in the U.K)

We had an almost unlimited supply of beautiful young women (models) and talented young men(photographers) whose dreams of glory in the glamorous world of photo modeling were refreshed on a weekly basis by watching the show.  That fix (and the attendant opportunities) is no more.  Now it takes a little more effort than simply shaking the tree th induce beautiful young women to drop rom the branches at your feet.

And more recently, Covid19 has changed the nature of every activity that requires people to  come together in an enclosed limited space such as a photo studio.  It's one thing to live for your art but quite another to risk dying for it.

All IMHO as always, of course.

Aug 06 20 06:59 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Weldphoto wrote:

That might work..

roll

Aug 06 20 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

CaliModels

Los Angeles, California, US

Wouldn't 100% agree MM is useless, maybe just hasn't adjusted to times. It's certainly nothing like 2006? again, but there's still models available, if you can come to terms. Over the years, yes things are slower, but overall a modeling site is better in terms of stats and modeling photos, per most times you won't get that on social media. You don't even know what State they're in.  But, there's too many changes needed to list in a couple paragraphs, here's just some;

Facebook and Instagram were made for Smart Phones, but Mayhem No. The current mobile system is difficult to use, and what do models use today?  If a person is interested in modeling, a manager or agent quickly takes over.  Most times doesn't want models on MM, but rather on Instagram. One of the selling points are followers. Social media sites are made for females, unless males are like celebrities or athletes. A female can post 1-2 photos and have 1k followers. So, they don't need a TF when someone else is willing to send them clothes or sunscreen to promote their products.

Likes. We already know this, but to some people/models, getting likes and followers could be more important than actually working with someone. Notice how few models give photographers credit, and how some photographers have given in to it by giving models uncredited work.

The Friends system on MM, is no longer valid. Many models refuse to add friends at this point, kinda defeats the purpose for communication and networking.

Aug 07 20 03:07 am Link

Photographer

63fotos

Flagstaff, Arizona, US

Say what you will, but I've had more success booking models off this site than on fb, or ig.

Aug 07 20 07:41 am Link

Photographer

7 Mile Productions

San Diego, California, US

I dont know if most realize how flat looking cell phone pix look and every look is the same -  no depth of field no buttery bokeh.  I wont work with a model if all she has is candids.  Thats what the step up selfie really is.  Eg there is a throwing a bullet and shooting it difference between a picture and a photograph/visage/

Aug 22 20 05:38 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

7 Mile Productions wrote:
I dont know if most realize how flat looking cell phone pix look . . .

A model told me that she thinks her photos are fine. This in spite of the fact that every image is out of focus.

Her MM profile says that she wants to learn how to take more professional images.

Aug 22 20 06:36 am Link

Admin

Model Mayhem Edu

Los Angeles, California, US

7 Mile Productions wrote:
I dont know if most realize how flat looking cell phone pix look and every look is the same -  no depth of field no buttery bokeh.  I wont work with a model if all she has is candids.  Thats what the step up selfie really is.  Eg there is a throwing a bullet and shooting it difference between a picture and a photograph/visage/

Yes, that may be true to a photographer but the audience for models is much larger and generally doesn't care or sometimes even prefers selfies. Models can make thousands, possibly tens of thousands, of dollars per month through Instagram and selling access to selfies via various platforms.

Aug 22 20 08:20 am Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

From the day I joined MM, I always wondered why truly professional photographers, and models would be MM members.
I assumed agents are taking care making the connection between clients, models and photographers.
And most photographers and models were amateurs at different levels of abilities and models had a steady job and modeling was for extra income or, exploring other aspects of their femininity....
So, as an hobbyist, I invested money in equipment and models (most of the time) and never had any problems.

Aug 22 20 10:18 am Link

Photographer

The Falcons Nest

Brooklyn, New York, US

Social media has changed the game. Likes and follows beat out experience and professionalism. There are no "dues" to pay or agency standard to live up to. All you need is 100k+ followers, a selfie stick and a few iphone filters and BOOM you're an "influencer" and get free product to showcase and cash offers.

Time are changing. Not necessarily for the better, but they are.

Aug 22 20 02:27 pm Link