Forums > Model Colloquy > Conversation during shoot

Photographer

Logan5

Seattle, Washington, US

Please do chime in.

I am a talkative photographer, using conversation to help to set me at ease, hope to help everyone have fun as coworkers while we create art together.

Came to a conclusion recently.  Unless we are doing a happy laughing shoot, the model must invest a lot of effort into facial expression of emotion, changing up eyes, lips, carefully controlling subtle facial muscles most of us don't know exist.  Here's the thing: from the perspective of conversation about world politics, recent travels or what-have-you, I would imagine the model can only engage to about the same level as I do when I visit the dentist, hands in my mouth, where the dentist has a pretty much one-sided conversation with me trying to answer "ah wah woh woh wah". 

So tell me, is polite banter a good thing in a shoot?  I think it depends on what the shoot is about. A photo of an ankle bracelet with the foot on a rock over a babbling Brook can easily be done with conversation about the world we live in.  Portraits with a new model require polite jokes and digging to get everyone to open up and feel comfortable.  With a pro, some nice upbeat soft background music is all that's needed to quickly bang through working the shot.  In, out, done.

What do you like?  Background music?  Polite conversation?  Talking about the task-at-hand?  A reverse preview monitor and silence except for click click click so you can constantly see how the photos look?  Stopping every 30 seconds or minute to see the in-camera preview and talk quickly about what's working, what to try next?  One-sided dentist banter?

Andy

Jan 19 20 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

Wandering Eyebubble

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Logan5 wrote:
What do you like?

Oops, didn't notice this was in the model forum, sorry! smile

Jan 19 20 08:21 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I usually converse with the model during the shoot.

Jan 19 20 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Conversation of some sort is absolutely necessary.
What to talk about? All of the things that you mentioned.
Every individual is different and it's your job to discover what works.

Jan 19 20 09:26 pm Link

Photographer

Angel House Portraits

Orlando, Florida, US

Not talking to a model during a shoot I find it awkward. Models want feedback too. Its part of being human. Just don't start talking about politics, religion, or past wars.

Jan 19 20 09:52 pm Link

Model

Victoria Morrisa

New York, New York, US

I like music of my choice on in the background and I like the conversation just to be about the shoot.

Jan 21 20 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Some people like to converse -others do not

I try to assess that during the preparation for the shoot

And respond accordingly

Jan 21 20 02:14 pm Link

Model

Kelly Kooper

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Logan5 wrote:
Please do chime in.

I am a talkative photographer, using conversation to help to set me at ease, hope to help everyone have fun as coworkers while we create art together.

Came to a conclusion recently.  Unless we are doing a happy laughing shoot, the model must invest a lot of effort into facial expression of emotion, changing up eyes, lips, carefully controlling subtle facial muscles most of us don't know exist.  Here's the thing: from the perspective of conversation about world politics, recent travels or what-have-you, I would imagine the model can only engage to about the same level as I do when I visit the dentist, hands in my mouth, where the dentist has a pretty much one-sided conversation with me trying to answer "ah wah woh woh wah". 

So tell me, is polite banter a good thing in a shoot?  I think it depends on what the shoot is about. A photo of an ankle bracelet with the foot on a rock over a babbling Brook can easily be done with conversation about the world we live in.  Portraits with a new model require polite jokes and digging to get everyone to open up and feel comfortable.  With a pro, some nice upbeat soft background music is all that's needed to quickly bang through working the shot.  In, out, done.

What do you like?  Background music?  Polite conversation?  Talking about the task-at-hand?  A reverse preview monitor and silence except for click click click so you can constantly see how the photos look?  Stopping every 30 seconds or minute to see the in-camera preview and talk quickly about what's working, what to try next?  One-sided dentist banter?

Andy

I love this question.

But I think the answer would depend on the personality of the person you were asking.

Models aren't shy creatures. Ask each model at the shoot what they prefer. They'll tell you.

A blanket rule here is unlikely; different things will work for different people. Just ask. It's not an offensive question (actually, it's very considerate) and I personally would appreciate being asked beforehand.

I'll often tell photographers I prefer music or silence if they talk too much during a shoot (although if it's a paid shoot, i'll just work through it - their money, their shoot after all)

I don't mind someone talking before, during set up or after a shoot but during is very distracting because I'm concentrating on the mood, the expression, the pose, where the light is, where the photographer is etc. I don't then want to have to then have to think about maintaining conversation as well. Others might be different though smile

Feb 15 20 11:26 pm Link

Photographer

LnN Studio

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Whatever works and every situation is different.
Onetime Karsh just took a cigar from his subject and got a pretty good photo.

Feb 16 20 07:49 am Link

Photographer

Select Model Studios

Tempe, Arizona, US

Talk between sets. Then while shooting, focus on giving the model feedback .

Mar 01 20 03:42 am Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

"Dentist hands in mouth talk" had me spill my drink just now. Through my nose.

To chime in though, you've answered your own question: it depends on the shoot.

When I'm outdoors and there is quite a bit of distance, it helps to hear the shutter click so I know when to move.

In a studio, it helps the mood if there's music, if it's your average amateur wanting to practice it could go either way, complete silence (cause they need to concentrate on equipment etc.), or they won't shut up (bc they're nervous with a nekkid chick in the room ) lol

Mar 02 20 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Logan5 wrote:
Please do chime in

I direct and encourage verbally which often leads to small talk. .

Mar 03 20 12:46 am Link

Photographer

Fist Full of Ish

Aiken, South Carolina, US

I generally talk about the shoot.  Many times I say something they find humorous and I take a pic at that moment.  That used to be a fun thing to do.

Mar 03 20 02:49 am Link