Forums > Model Colloquy > Model No Shows

Photographer

ROUA IMAGES

Phoenix, Arizona, US

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:

ahhh,  the old supply and demand thing. 

Model no shows decrease the supply therefore their value increases.

tricky

Absolutely.  To the point of invisibility.  What's that saying for those who've caught those lucky breaks?  "When opportunity knocks, be real quiet and tip-toe back upstairs."

Jan 20 21 05:38 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Changing Perspective wrote:
Model doesn’t show for shoot....after regular contact up to the shoot day itself and then model doesn’t call, txt to inform me ahead of time.
Shrug shoulders, move along (practicing my self-talk to get me through this all too frequent occurrence)
Any other suggestions?

I get sad for a bit, scramble to find a last-minute replacement (or call their agency for one). Whether I can find one or not, I move on after adding them to the list of people not to consider in the future.

Really, there's not much else you can do at that point. sad

In the future, be more careful/paranoid about yellow/red flags, but accept that sometimes, no matter how careful you are, someone might not show up--model, hairstylist, makeup artist, assistant, designer, stylist, or another photographer.

That said, I've also removed people from that list when it turned out they actually were in the hospital. It's a pretty short list given how long I've been photographing people.

Jan 21 21 09:36 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Dozer

Palm Springs, California, US

I booked a shoot many years ago with a fairly well known fine art model here on MM.  Made arrangements to fly her out west here from her home on the east coast along with a hotel room.  She never showed up.  I had sent her notes before leading up to the shoot and responses were good.  While I wasn't out any money (the plane ticket and hotel room were frequent flyer points), I was not able to get those back.  She finally responded to my inquiries about 2 weeks later saying that she had been having serious family problems and apologized for what happened. 

Year and half later, she sent me a note saying that she was sorry about what had happened but was coming to the Los Angeles area and was offering me a shooting session with her at half her normal rates.  We planned the shoot and she never showed again.  I know that she was in the area because of other notes that were on MM at the time, but she apparently got a better offer from someone else.  She never got back to me about not making it here. 

She is still a very well  known fine art model here on MM, but she will never work with me, even if she pays me.

Jan 24 21 08:09 am Link

Photographer

Dan OMell

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Numbers Game

Jun 20 21 10:35 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

At least no one suggested I bang my head against a wall (another course of action I've been considering smile )

A gentle shake of the head should suffice.

Jun 21 21 07:18 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I recently got a permanent commercial studio space. Now when a model no-shows, it's nothing more than a minor annoyance. Previously no-shows were a much bigger inconvenience since i'd be out the cost of whatever studio space I rented for the day plus the time involved in packing up all my gear and loading the car. Now I just lock the door and go find something else to do.

Jun 23 21 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

Royal Photography

Birmingham, Alabama, US

A few years ago I had a model no show on a commercial paid shoot with a tight deadline.  Because we couldn't meet the deadline due to her we lost around 10k in future jobs.
We sued her
We won

Jun 26 21 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

Frozen Logic

Lewisville, Texas, US

Royal Photography  wrote:
We sued her
We won

Were you able to actually collect the money on the judgement?

Jun 27 21 10:55 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Anyone using freelance talent from these websites for commercial work is playing with dynamite.   I can't then imagine suing when they don't show and then collecting any kind of judgment.  When you have clients with a decent budget you go to local agencies.   If a model flakes they can often be replaced quickly.   MM, IG and Facebook, largely have hobbyists and that includes photographers and MUA to designers.   Once you reach a certain level and or have paying clients its time to reach out to model agencies.  Want to cut down on flakes?   Learn to vet your models better.   Does he/she respond quickly to emails?   Do they seem eager and if they have been here for a bit haven't updated in a while.   Is their profile full of selfies?   Look, when you are mostly offering photos you can't expect to have models always show up.

Jun 27 21 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

Unagi Glass

Los Angeles, California, US

Just happened to me this morning😂 She texted me last night asking if I pay cash, Venmo, etc. .This morning, no text or nothing-just never showed up.

Fortunately, a model I worked with before was free and drove to the studio I rented. She was there in about 30 minutes and ready to go. 
official_angieverde Saved the day. She is a great model to work with so hire her 👍

Jul 31 21 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

RoyMayh

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Consider me unkind but my advice is "Invest as little as you can in the first shoot, so if they flake not much is lost and you can quickly regroup and recover".
So I don't think it is advisable to drive to a location, if model doesn't show up, you are out of all this time.
A simple studio or even home/outside of home shoot should be enough in my opinion.
In the past, people did 'test shoots', doesn't seem like it is done anymore. So for me the first shoot serves as a test shoot.
If the model is 'underwhelmed and unimpressed" with me and doesn't want to work with me a second time, oh, well, it wasn't meant to be.

The time lost and the upset feelings we get from no shows are a big deal, so I think it is perfectly normal to protect oneself and minimize one's potential loses. That's how it is done in the business world. Nobody places their full big order with a new company. You place a test order and see if they can deliver a quality product on time without problems. Then you can always increase the size of your order and step up your business with them. Otherwise, you might be in some serious trouble.

If you hired a MUA, get a whole set, rented location and props, etc, that's just not safe investment in someone who is completely untested and a recipe for disaster. We have a spectacular area where everyone shoots. Models ask me to shoot at that location all the time, images are amazing and fun. After 5 no-shows I simply can't afford to lose my time driving to and from that place, paying for parking, gas, etc. If it means no shooting, well, it's the same result, only less time wasted.

Sorry, if this sounds harsh.

Oct 07 21 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

PhotoByWayne

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

If it is a trade shoot, and its the first time working with someone, I would minimize any investment towards it, be it $ or time.  For example all my trade shoots are less than 60min long at a mutually convinent location.  I have found some good people this way and I have bought them on board for paid projects at a later time.  I normally don't hire anyone that I have never worked with or not from a trusted source.  I would be ok to hire someone who I have worked with, but not 100% fit for a paid gig, than someone who I have never worked with but appear to be a perfect fit.

Oct 08 21 04:31 pm Link

Clothing Designer

veypurr

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

PhotoByWayne wrote:
If it is a trade shoot, and its the first time working with someone, I would minimize any investment towards it, be it $ or time.  For example all my trade shoots are less than 60min long at a mutually convinent location.  I have found some good people this way and I have bought them on board for paid projects at a later time.  I normally don't hire anyone that I have never worked with or not from a trusted source.  I would be ok to hire someone who I have worked with, but not 100% fit for a paid gig, than someone who I have never worked with but appear to be a perfect fit.

I think you might be onto something. Sometimes I spend a long time setting up my studio and then the model does not show up and I wasted a bunch of time.

Oct 08 21 06:53 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

RoyMayh wrote:
Consider me unkind but my advice is "Invest as little as you can in the first shoot, so if they flake not much is lost and you can quickly regroup and recover".
So I don't think it is advisable to drive to a location, if model doesn't show up, you are out of all this time.
A simple studio or even home/outside of home shoot should be enough in my opinion.
In the past, people did 'test shoots', doesn't seem like it is done anymore. So for me the first shoot serves as a test shoot.
If the model is 'underwhelmed and unimpressed" with me and doesn't want to work with me a second time, oh, well, it wasn't meant to be. ...

Sorry, if this sounds harsh.

That does not sound harsh at all, just commonsense.

I learned your "minimum initial investment" strategy the hard way many years ago.  The sad fact is that a significant proportion of models are simply immature and unreliable and do not respect another person's time.

Oct 15 21 05:27 pm Link

Model

LaurenCismyname

Seattle, Washington, US

Model doesn’t show for shoot....after regular contact up to the shoot day itself and then model doesn’t call, txt to inform me ahead of time.
Shrug shoulders, move along (practicing my self-talk to get me through this all too frequent occurrence)
Any other suggestions?

That STINKS! I read some of the comments here, but I would add: Besides the text a few days before, also Zoom with them even if for 5 or 10 minutes right when you're deciding to hire/use them, so they have a "more real" connection and let them know you'd like to connect a couple days before shoot again via phone to confirm.... and I would literally say "Please keep in touch if anything changes because there's a lot of planning ahead of time to make this happen"

I wish there were also a place, like a review area here, bulletin board,etc, where models and/ or photographers could "review" and list flakes, so those of us who aren't could "be warned"
Hope future plans go better for you! big_smile
Lauren

Oct 18 21 07:02 pm Link

Clothing Designer

veypurr

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

LaurenCismyname wrote:

That STINKS! I read some of the comments here, but I would add: Besides the text a few days before, also Zoom with them even if for 5 or 10 minutes right when you're deciding to hire/use them, so they have a "more real" connection and let them know you'd like to connect a couple days before shoot again via phone to confirm.... and I would literally say "Please keep in touch if anything changes because there's a lot of planning ahead of time to make this happen"

I wish there were also a place, like a review area here, bulletin board,etc, where models and/ or photographers could "review" and list flakes, so those of us who aren't could "be warned"
Hope future plans go better for you! big_smile
Lauren

I think that Zoom thing is a good idea. I am going to try that.

Oct 19 21 06:24 pm Link