Forums > Model Colloquy > Question for the Models on dresses on eBay

Photographer

MCmodeling

Sonora, California, US

This summer I'm thinking about doing a photo shoot with a dress in in a waterfall. Although I don't have a budget for this photo shoot. I have a hard time asking the model to bring a dress that might get ruined. So wondering if any models have experience with these cheap dresses on eBay. I know they probably aren't the best bt hoping they might work for one photo shoot.https://www.ebay.com/itm/Women-V-Neck-Long-Sleeve-Cocktail-Formal-Ball-Prom-Gown-Party-Evening-Long-Dress/283530229404?var=584707111850&hash=item4203b7f69c:g:V9AAAOSw0LVdFYOp

Jan 28 20 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Try here:   https://www.dresshead.com/   Another idea might be a thrift store.  Your link doesn't work for me but you can find lots of cool things on dresshead for $10.00.

Jan 28 20 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

MCmodeling

Sonora, California, US

Thanks tony for the link.

Jan 28 20 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

Beauty Grenade

Ironton, Ohio, US

You can usually find great prices on formal gowns in most department stores by paying attention to their clearance racks. I don't think I (or a model) has ever paid more than $30.
Also, provided the dress isn't destroyed or heavily soiled/stained, they wash up quite well. I usually wash on delicate cycle in cold water, and hang to dry.

Jan 28 20 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Hit the thrift shops, Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc. There are a lot of excellent dresses available, from $5 to $20. Wedding dresses tend to run a bit more. At these prices, I do not care if the dress gets ruined or not. This allows you and the model to get creative without worrying about the dress. Also, for a waterfall shot, you might not care about the perfect fit, as safety pins will work just fine.

Some thrift shops might even further reduce their price if the dress has a stain or tear.  Goodwill and Salvation are not likely to barter on the price.

I hit a costume/dress rental shop trying to reduce their inventory. Huge number of formal gowns for weddings and proms going for $5-10. The excellent thing was finding so many available in small sizes for models.

Jan 29 20 01:35 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

12 positive feedbacks - 5 negative,  a toss up on the dress.

I also provide wardrobe for sets and would try to go with something from a reputable brand that provides a size chart. Thrift stores can be a great source for many items, if You have the time to invest.  Knowing Your Models sizes are key.

Jan 30 20 03:02 am Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Women-V-Neck-L … Sw0LVdFYOp

The vendor is nominally in the US, but the ad has the look and feel of being a front for a chinese vendor.

If you want to buy clothing from China, you need to be prepared to receive goods that have only a passing resemblance to the description.

In any case, the ebay feedback score for this vendor is a miserable 95.3%  which always translates as "run away as fast as you can"

Jan 30 20 10:31 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Since I posted a link to dress.com I thought I'd offer this.   These are cheap products.   This is something to shoot models in and give to to them or toss away after.   Its not high quality items as evidenced by the prices.   The OP seemed to want something inexpensive.   I mentioned thrift stores,   Goodwill and Salvation Army are also options.   Full disclosure:   I have bought some outfits from Dress.com.

Jan 30 20 11:18 am Link

Model

Model MoRina

MacMurdo - permanent station of the US, Sector claimed by New Zealand, Antarctica

The thing you have to be careful of when buying these "Asian sized" dresses is that they are incredibly tiny in the shoulder, sleeve and ribcage areas. Many are very short in length. Look at the measurement charts. They are also made of super thin materials that are going to be see-though in daylight, and rarely look like the pictures, which are generally highly CGI or photoshopped.

Your best bet is to get dresses at goodwill/salvation army type stores. Be kind to your model and wash or dry clean them before asking them to wear them. If the dress is still wearable after your shoot, re-donate it on your next trip to find dresses.

Feb 01 20 07:55 am Link

Model

Liv Sage

Seattle, Washington, US

I would strongly recommend a local thrift over really cheap stuff on ebay.

And I fit into the smallest size of the cheap crap on ebay - so sizing has never been an issue.
But, the fabric quality is so poor it can ruin an image. I've seen things come in from ebay/wish/sheinside/etc that is so poor in quality and goofy looking it's unusable to anyone who cares about making a decent photograph. The colors are messed up, whatever detail work you see online is just laughable in person.

Every now and then you get luck, but for the most part, you are going to find these items absolutely atrocious in person.

Feb 06 20 09:45 am Link