Forums > Critique > Newbie Profile Assist

Photographer

StevesphotographyUK

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

As the Title states, Complete Newbie to MM.

And seeking Advice on the "Selling" and Form of my Profile
I haven't had to write a Profile about myself ... ummm.. yeah! ever !

And I KNOW this Says I'm not a PRO.. I have Never claimed to be

I have NO Experience so please don't destroy the images too badly..

as for the unasked bit.. EOS50D,EOS70D, 10-18mm, 50mm, 18/55mm & 70-300mm, External TTL Flash.
Basic Kit that has got me Recognition for the Aviation Photography Side as I couldn't afford much more!

Feb 14 20 02:43 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Welcome to Model Mayhem.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/200202/17/5e3779f3c85c1_m.jpg

Pretty model and satisfactory lighting but Oh! that awful background! Sometimes I feel like the background is one half of the picture.

A minor point: that band across her forehead is not to my taste.

Feb 25 20 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/200202/17/5e377a16d3e6f_m.jpg

Nice balance of light on the subject with the outdoors. But get that external TTL flash off of the camera and over to one side.

I don't use TTL for portrait work. Manual mode with a second hand flash meter is your friend.

Feb 25 20 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

StevesphotographyUK

Mark,
1st off, thank you for taking the Time .. as I said, I have NO Experience in this Level of Photography...
my usual subjects are at 500ft off the ground and 620 MPH

The Girl in the Doorway was more of mucking around Snaps.. it wasn't a "Set-Shoot" so forgive me on that..
The Headband.. She didn't take that off until she stripped down to a leotard and started doing gymnastic moves in front of me!

Regretfully, the "TTL" was the Cameras Built-in one, not an External! And the one I now have is a tilt only not Pan & tilt .. as to a Light Meter.. that's maybe a couple of Paid Shoots down the Line, I'm a Civil Servant, I don't earn enough! lol..

But, thank You for the Comment on the Photo, She has a great smile and amazing Eyes

Feb 25 20 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Without critiquing your work - A couple of suggestions

Look at your Profile and Photos from the perspective of a Model and ask yourself - What can this photographer do for me ?

Secondly - there are many ways to become a better photographer including studying the work of other photographers , taking related courses , watching related videos . assisting or shadowing other photographers . and even finding or hiring skilled Models who can direct / teach / help you  Improve

Feb 26 20 04:14 am Link

Photographer

StevesphotographyUK

Hi Garry,

Another Thank You for stopping by and commenting..

I'm in talks with 4 Models and 2 "First-timers" ( an Ex-Body-Builder and a SBBW who're both up for anything) to get some TF Shoots done for the Experience and Lessons..
believe Me, I've been studying techniques, images, even some shoot videos and reading on various methods (and crying about the cost) for Months now ..
None of my Local Photographers on Here have even replied to the Messages asking for Help and Possible Shadow-shoots despite them reading the Message.. so I'm guessing the Locals don't want another Photographer! (understandable)

Feb 26 20 05:06 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Also You are 2 hrs from London ....and could get involved in the scene there

Feb 26 20 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

StevesphotographyUK

Garry k wrote:
Also You are 2 hrs from London ....and could get involved in the scene there

Extra Bonus.. Family by Heathrow.. easy connections into City and a place to crash out

Feb 26 20 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

StevesphotographyUK

StevesphotographyUK wrote:
Regretfully, the "TTL" was the Cameras Built-in one, not an External! And the one I now have is a tilt only not Pan & tilt .. as to a Light Meter.. that's maybe a couple of Paid Shoots down the Line, I'm a Civil Servant, I don't earn enough!

Thanks Mark for pointing out I didn't exactly make this bit Clear.

I did NOT own an External Speedlight at this stage so the Flash used for this was the Canons own Built-in One

Feb 27 20 12:47 pm Link

Photographer

Kirino

Palo Alto, California, US

Hey Steve, congratulations for reaching out for feedback.  I think that's fantastic... for me I think the thing on MM that (at first) really taught me a lot was to compete in the forum contests (not the POTD under contests, but the "contests" link under forums)  The shooters there are more in the evolutionary stage and you can learn a lot seeing which get more attention than others. 

I also saw you mentioned that you are using built in on-camera flash - this rarely gives a good result.  I'd definitely recommend looking into a good, inexpensive speedlite (I swear by the YONGNUO YN560 IV - less than $60 on amazon, and you can get a remote for it for $25 allowing for off camera flash)

Welcome to the club - great to have you!

Feb 27 20 09:05 pm Link

Photographer

StevesphotographyUK

Kirino wrote:
Hey Steve, congratulations for reaching out for feedback.  I think that's fantastic... for me I think the thing on MM that (at first) really taught me a lot was to compete in the forum contests (not the POTD under contests, but the "contests" link under forums)  The shooters there are more in the evolutionary stage and you can learn a lot seeing which get more attention than others. 

I also saw you mentioned that you are using built in on-camera flash - this rarely gives a good result.  I'd definitely recommend looking into a good, inexpensive speedlite (I swear by the YONGNUO YN560 IV - less than $60 on amazon, and you can get a remote for it for $25 allowing for off camera flash)

Welcome to the club - great to have you!

Hey Kirino,

Thanks for the Hints Mate. it's appreciated!
Aaah, I got the JY610C ,, And just learnt lastnight that it has an Optical Slave Trigger thanks to Mark
and also looking into a Neewer Kit which has Wireless Triggers, hotShoe adapter & other bits for £49 GBP

Feb 28 20 02:03 am Link