Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Pandemic Warnings

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

As everyone else will notice, the supposed "Fox News" link Globefunseekers supplied does NOT back his claim.  Yet again.  Instead it's just one right wing Senator CLAIMING (on Fox News) that's it's not approved as used.  Despite all official evidence to the contrary.

Anyway, this is what HIS source (Fox News) ACTUALLY said about it, not what Globefunseekers CLAIMS "Fox News" said:

"(Fox News) FDA grants Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine full approval"

https://www.foxbusiness.com/healthcare/ … l-approval

The non-stop lies and Covid disinformation continue.   Whether it's comparing rounding up and murdering 6 million Jews to proof of vaccination "Covid Passports", to his claims that there "is no pandemic" and how it's all just a "worldwide conspiracy"...

Still hijacking the discussions completely away from anything useful that he doesn't want people to read.

Feb 13 22 07:59 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Globefunseekers wrote:
See, that's why you're misinformed.  You just keep reading from the same places that tell you half truths.  The Pfizer vax being used is not approved, they approved the LICENSING of one called Comirnaty, which is not even available anywhere and just told you that it's the same thing.  Sorry for the link being Fox, I was accused of not using AUTHORITATIVE news. LOL

https://www.foxnews.com/media/ron-johns … id-vaccine

-
-
You wonder why people ask if you read your own sources?  Do you read anything?  LOL (to mock you). phfft. Given that your responses are lower than the maturity level a 14 year old girl's.

"Senator Ron Johnson, R-Wisc., claimed ...."  Yada, yada, yada.  Senator Johnson (potentially to be an indicted  insurrectionist) is not a source that is reliable.  He has been aligned with the lunatic right and pushed the worse of the conspiracies and covid misinformation.  He has had his Senate hearing removed from YouTube for misinformation, after guiding testimony from the nation's biggest clowns to get what he wanted- not fact based testimony.

Furthermore, all your source article does is state the claim and accusation.  There is no proof or resolution.  What happened last time you used old video that was subsequently superseded by updated, reliable information?

Your article is dated Oct 1.  Apparently 2021, per the comments.  Why wouldn't a reputable news organization put the entire date on there?

https://www.fda.gov/emergency-preparedn … 19-vaccine
Content current as of:
02/02/2022
(Previous Updates linked on the page)
On August 23, 2021, FDA announced the first approval of a COVID-19 vaccine. The vaccine has been known as the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine, and will now be marketed as Comirnaty, for the prevention of COVID-19 in individuals 16 years of age and older.

Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine is authorized for emergency use and is available under the EUA as a two-dose primary series for individuals 5 years of age and older, as a third primary series dose for individuals 5 years of age and older who have been determined to have certain kinds of immunocompromise, and as a single booster dose for individuals 12 years of age and older at least five months after completing a primary series of the vaccine.

On November 17, 2021, CDC, in consultation with FDA, issued emergency use instructions to provide information about the use of the vaccine as an additional primary series dose or as a booster dose in certain individuals who completed vaccination with certain non-FDA-authorized or -approved COVID-19 vaccines.

https://www.fda.gov/media/151710/download
Approval letter Aug 23 2021. as linked in the above document.  excerpts
Under this license, you are approved to manufacture COVID-19 Vaccine, mRNA drug substance at Wyeth BioPharma Division of Wyeth Pharmaceuticals LLC, 1 Burtt Road, Andover, Massachusetts. The final formulated product will be manufactured, filled, labeled and packaged at Pfizer Manufacturing Belgium NV, Rijksweg 12, Puurs, Belgium and at Pharmacia & Upjohn Company LLC, 7000 Portage Road, Kalamazoo, Michigan. The diluent, 0.9% Sodium Chloride Injection, USP, will be manufactured at Hospira, Inc., and at Fresenius Kabi USA, LLC,     .
U.S. Food & Drug Administration 10903 New Hampshire Avenue Silver Spring, MD 20993
w w w.fda.gov
(b) (4)
(b) (4)
Page 2 – STN BL 125742/0 – Elisa Harkins
You may label your product with the proprietary name, COMIRNATY, and market it in 2.0 mL glass vials, in packages of 25 and 195 vials.
We did not refer your application to the Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee because our review of information submitted in your BLA, including the clinical study design and trial results, did not raise concerns or controversial issues that would have benefited from an advisory committee discussion.

We hereby approve the draft content of labeling including Package Insert, submitted under amendment 74, dated August 21, 2021, and the draft carton and container labels submitted under amendment 63, dated August 19, 2021.

That is two things, this and claims of Nuremberg Code violations, which you posted tonight that a 3 second googel search would have told you was covid misinformation.

I am getting tired of your bullshit accusations that are nothing but projections of your own inadequacies, "See, that's why you're misinformed.  You just keep reading from the same places that tell you half truths,"  applies much more to you, and fortunately, everyone here except you, does not turn off and tune out current information in favor of promoting biases, and lies, and outright corruption.  What, exactly, do you think you are contributing to the conversation with the frequent use of such asshole comments?  You couldn't tell what is proper reporting if it hit you on the head, but you love those discredited cretins.

Feb 13 22 08:19 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Globefunseekers wrote:
This is the Pfizer press release, they say it's the same formulation, but they still use it under the EUA and if you ask anyone at your Pharmacy about the Comirnaty they'll know nothing of it.  Not to mention even here they mention there's no information on the use of it with other vaccines, which everyone is being told is ok to do.  People are getting the pfizer after Moderna and so on.  This not to even mention that the FDA wanted 75 years to release the information they used to determine it's approval, A judge recently gave them 8 months to do so.  I can wait.

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-relea … eives-full

This part wasn't on your post when I started the last reply.  So I have to address it separately by asking, "What?"

I doubt very much you know what my pharmacist will say.  I am not going to waste her time or mine seeking verification of your stupid ass, unsubstantiated, conspiratorial, assertions.  You made the claim (back to your Martian example), you back it up.

You have a lot to say about what is in the press release, but in your classic misinformation style, you don't quote a damn thing.  Why?

What exactly, did the FDA not want to release for 75 years?

Link the court case you refer to.

You make a bunch of unsubstantiated claims.  That is all.  Nothing to see here, folks.

Feb 13 22 08:41 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Unfortunately I was just informed that another of my relatives has died of Covid-19.

So that no one misunderstands, she was in her sixties, seemed to be in good health, but wasn't someone that I was close to.  It's someone that that I'd only personally met less than a handful of times.  Apparently they tried to save her by inducing a coma and putting her on a ventilator.  Sadly, without success.  My immediate concern is for some of my family members that were close and will be hard hit when they hear the news tomorrow (they're not in the same time zone).

But it REALLY PISSES ME OFF when people claim that "NO ONE HAS DIED" from Covid-19.  And are determined to spread such incredibly dangerous, and outright LIES about it.

People DIE from that kind of F'ING BULLSHIT.  PERIOD.

Feb 13 22 08:42 pm Link

Photographer

Globefunseekers

Elizabeth, New Jersey, US

LightDreams wrote:
Unfortunately I was just informed that another of my relatives has died of Covid-19.

So that no one misunderstands, she was in her sixties, seemed to be in good health, but wasn't someone that I was close to.  It's someone that that I'd only personally met less than a handful of times.  Apparently they tried to save her by inducing a coma and putting her on a ventilator.  Sadly, without success.  My immediate concern is for some of my family members that were close and will be hard hit when they hear the news tomorrow (they're not in the same time zone).

But it REALLY PISSES ME OFF when people claim that "NO ONE HAS DIED" from Covid-19.  And are determined to spread such incredibly dangerous, and outright LIES about it.

People DIE from that kind of F'ING BULLSHIT.  PERIOD.

Sorry for your loss.  And I would urge you to find out how she became a covid patient, what test did they use, and how many cycles if it was the PCR, what medication did they give her prior to try to use a ventilator.  If she was given Remdesivir, and or became a covid patient after going in for an alternate cause, I would do an autopsy and sue the hospital.

Feb 14 22 06:09 am Link

Photographer

Globefunseekers

Hunter  GWPB wrote:

This part wasn't on your post when I started the last reply.  So I have to address it separately by asking, "What?"

I doubt very much you know what my pharmacist will say.  I am not going to waste her time or mine seeking verification of your stupid ass, unsubstantiated, conspiratorial, assertions.  You made the claim (back to your Martian example), you back it up.

You have a lot to say about what is in the press release, but in your classic misinformation style, you don't quote a damn thing.  Why?

You make a bunch of unsubstantiated claims.  That is all.  Nothing to see here, folks.

I get you have millions of questions, I did too, that's how I got into the rabbit hole, but you got to start looking for yourself.
Here, this is the last time.

https://www.reuters.com/legal/governmen … 021-11-18/

Feb 14 22 06:14 am Link

Photographer

Globefunseekers

Globefunseekers wrote:

I get you have millions of questions, I did too, that's how I got into the rabbit hole, but you got to start looking for yourself.

And before you ask, yes it started as 55 years, then became 75, then the judge ruled 8 months.  There, hope I answered before you asked.

Feb 14 22 06:17 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Post hidden on Feb 16, 2022 11:20 pm
Reason: inflammatory

Feb 14 22 08:56 am Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:

Globefunseekers wrote:

As usual--- Globefunseeker seems to have left out some of the pertinent facts--- cherry picking a few lines here and there to create some grand conspiracy------ you know how he LOVES conspiracy....

I am not defending the long time to get the data- the timing is just proof of a dysfunctional system in need of serious help. BUT IT ISNT A CONSPIRACY TO PURPOSELY HIDE DATA AS  Globefunseeker TRIES TO TELL US
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Opinion: 55 years to fulfill a records request? Clearly, the FDA needs serious reform of its data-sharing practices.

By Christopher J. Morten,
Reshma Ramachandran,
Joseph S. Ross and
Amy Kapczynski
December 13, 2021 at 4:22 p.m. EST
----  https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions … practices/

[...]

That may sound absurd, but if you’re experienced with FOIA requests to the FDA, as we are, the slow timeline is just more proof that the agency needs a proactive, well-funded data-sharing system to protect public trust and promote scientific research.

The FOIA request, filed in August by a group called Public Health and Medical Professionals for Transparency, seeks essentially all data on the Pfizer vaccine, including all correspondence between Pfizer, BioNTech and the FDA, as well as clinical trial data, manufacturing data and reports of potential side effects.

"As a result, right-wing media aligned with the “anti-vaccine” movement has insinuated a nefarious attempt to hide vaccine data. Republicans in Congress recently introduced legislation to compel the FDA to fulfill the entire request within 100 days.

But this is no coverup. This glacial pace is broadly consistent with the FDA’s standard timelines for fulfilling record requests. The FDA does often prioritize more important documents, but complete responses can take years. The agency’s FOIA office is badly backlogged, with more than 3,000 requests outstanding at the end of 2020. The agency routinely fails to meet response deadlines set by Congress.

[...]

How did FOIA at the FDA become so difficult? Partly because the agency is overwhelmed by commercial FOIA users. Fortune 500 companies use FOIA to gather intel on competitors. Some for-profit specialty companies do nothing but file FOIA requests.

But the FDA’s dysfunction is also self-inflicted, having promulgated unnecessary regulations that designate huge swaths of data as “confidential commercial information.” These self-imposed regulations require painstaking, line-by-line document redaction before the FDA can disclose anything. They require the FDA to err on the side of confidentiality, even though the agency has no actual statutory obligation to do so.

FOIA is a major burden on the FDA, costing the agency $305 million between 2008 and 2017. By comparison, the Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research — the FDA center that evaluates vaccines and hundreds of other vital biologic products — has an annual budget of about $400 million.

[...]

Feb 14 22 09:33 am Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

Globefunseekers wrote:
Sorry for your loss.  And I would urge you to find out how she became a covid patient, what test did they use, and how many cycles if it was the PCR, what medication did they give her prior to try to use a ventilator.  If she was given Remdesivir, and or became a covid patient after going in for an alternate cause, I would do an autopsy and sue the hospital.

IMHO this is easily the most tactless, insensitive thing I have ever seen posted in these forums --- and I have been here more that 16 years.

All in an effort to prove your unsubstantiated, anti-science conspiracy theories.

You should be ashamed.

Feb 14 22 09:44 am Link

Photographer

Globefunseekers

rfordphotos wrote:

Hunter  GWPB wrote:

As usual--- Globefunseeker seems to have left out some of the pertinent facts--- cherry picking a few lines here and there to create some grand conspiracy------ you know how he LOVES conspiracy....

I am not defending the long time to get the data- the timing is just proof of a dysfunctional system in need of serious help. BUT IT ISNT A CONSPIRACY TO PURPOSELY HIDE DATA AS  Globefunseeker TRIES TO TELL US
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Opinion: 55 years to fulfill a records request? Clearly, the FDA needs serious reform of its data-sharing practices.

By Christopher J. Morten,
Reshma Ramachandran,
Joseph S. Ross and
Amy Kapczynski
December 13, 2021 at 4:22 p.m. EST
----  https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions … practices/

[...]

That may sound absurd, but if you’re experienced with FOIA requests to the FDA, as we are, the slow timeline is just more proof that the agency needs a proactive, well-funded data-sharing system to protect public trust and promote scientific research.

The FOIA request, filed in August by a group called Public Health and Medical Professionals for Transparency, seeks essentially all data on the Pfizer vaccine, including all correspondence between Pfizer, BioNTech and the FDA, as well as clinical trial data, manufacturing data and reports of potential side effects.

"As a result, right-wing media aligned with the “anti-vaccine” movement has insinuated a nefarious attempt to hide vaccine data. Republicans in Congress recently introduced legislation to compel the FDA to fulfill the entire request within 100 days.

But this is no coverup. This glacial pace is broadly consistent with the FDA’s standard timelines for fulfilling record requests. The FDA does often prioritize more important documents, but complete responses can take years. The agency’s FOIA office is badly backlogged, with more than 3,000 requests outstanding at the end of 2020. The agency routinely fails to meet response deadlines set by Congress.

[...]

rfordphotos wrote:
How did FOIA at the FDA become so difficult? Partly because the agency is overwhelmed by commercial FOIA users. Fortune 500 companies use FOIA to gather intel on competitors. Some for-profit specialty companies do nothing but file FOIA requests.

But the FDA’s dysfunction is also self-inflicted, having promulgated unnecessary regulations that designate huge swaths of data as “confidential commercial information.” These self-imposed regulations require painstaking, line-by-line document redaction before the FDA can disclose anything. They require the FDA to err on the side of confidentiality, even though the agency has no actual statutory obligation to do so.

FOIA is a major burden on the FDA, costing the agency $305 million between 2008 and 2017. By comparison, the Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research — the FDA center that evaluates vaccines and hundreds of other vital biologic products — has an annual budget of about $400 million.

[...]

You do realize that Pfizer, Moderna, J&J advertise in all those places you keep quoting right????? Let me guess, This company that just gave us millions to advertise their products, we got some truths to tell you about them... LOL. I should have gone into advertising if I though people would literaly buy into anything as long as it's on the news.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC1h6l-eXJw

So, you're saying that the same data that took a few months to go through to determine it was safe to LICENSE a product needs 75 years to disclose?  Got you, that is sound logic to any dum person.  I'm convinced.

Feb 14 22 01:47 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Globefunseekers wrote:

My questions were directed at you because your post was incomprehensible and your link was worthless.  Now that you have provided an additional link, I can see the problem.  You found a conspiracy!  What I found was that there is nothing to see here folks.  Just another rabbit trying to find comfort down in the hole. 

While the plaintiffs are saying a review of the information would settle the controversy regarding the anti-vaxxers, I would disagree.  No amount of facts, truthful evidence, or logic will make a difference.  Case in point, you.  You go back to the old, outdated sources and very biased, unreliable people, over and over, and you care not about the facts.  You have repeated this process ad nauseam.

It is perfectly reasonable to expect that the people reviewing the data will point to the redacted portions as proof of a cover up, or find something that they misinterpret and point to it as proof of some other ridiculous claim.  It is reasonable to expect that because that is what they do, consistently.  It is futile to try to appease the willfully blind, and worse, the willfully stupid.

Feb 14 22 02:26 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Globefunseekers wrote:
You do realize that Pfizer, Moderna, J&J advertise in all those places you keep quoting right????? Let me guess, This company that just gave us millions to advertise their products, we got some truths to tell you about them... LOL. I should have gone into advertising if I though people would literaly buy into anything as long as it's on the news.

So, you're saying that the same data that took a few months to go through to determine it was safe to LICENSE a product needs 75 years to disclose?  Got you, that is sound logic to any dum person.  I'm convinced.

Oh, so it is a conspiracy!  Drug companies advertise in the news media, therefore the news media doesn't do its job.  Right.  Gotcha. "That is sound logic to any dumb person."  Glad you are convinced.

Do you have any proof that all of the media you just accused has done anything close to what you claim?  No!  You show a few flashes from the title sequence and opening credits of television shows, and then some ad flashes, and that is supposed to be evidence of collusion?  Right.  Gotcha.  "That is sound logic to any dumb person."  Glad you are convinced.

The problem is you are looking at this from down the rabbit hole, which, in this case, is the bottom of a thousand foot well.

What is the difference between the manpower that can be allocated to review drugs and the manpower that can be allocated to go through documents, one line at a time to redact them and approve them for public display?  Did warp speed allocate funds to permit for the FOIA release of all of the documents in a timely manner?  It has been a well known problem that FOIA requests are often bogged down in the mud, even for much smaller requests from much smaller agencies.  Might that be due to excessive demand and extreme underfunding of the agency?  By all means, let's raise taxes and quadruple the staff of scientists and doctors that are capable of reviewing the information to get it into the public's hands in 30 days, no matter the request.  Will quadrupling be enough?

Perhaps the agencies can just put everyone that is already in the queue for information on hold because this one is so much more important.  Lets get all that information out there to satisfy people who will never believe it, much less understand it.  Hell with everyone else. "That is sound logic to any dumb person."  Glad you are convinced.

Feb 14 22 02:32 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

Post hidden on Feb 16, 2022 11:16 pm

Feb 14 22 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Los Angeles, California, US

Globefunseekers wrote:

"You do realize that Pfizer, Moderna, J&J advertise in all those places you keep quoting right?????"

So advertising EQUALS corruption. Got it. Didn't realize you were also anti-Capitalist. Good to know.

" LOL. I should have gone into advertising if I though people would literaly buy into anything as long as it's on the news."

Or social media. Good point. Maybe you have. SO, kindly disclose ALL your sources of income. In American dollars, if it wouldn't be too much trouble. And you can put this request at the front of your queue. Thank you.

Feb 14 22 05:06 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Globefunseekers wrote:

Our colleague has more than insinuated that the news media can't be trusted because they have an economic stake in the results of the news stories they report because of advertising revenue.  (The following is intended to channel the false bewilderment and outrage of Tucker Carlson, so widen your eyes, furrow your brow, read in a cadence befitting him, and feign outrage at appropriate moments.  Voice deep concern as you read into the depth of the question.) Well, what about Fox News and Fox News Opinion Hosts?  What economic incentive do they have to flatulently promote and cheer a small minority in Canada as they create harm and hardship regarding the lives of other people?  Do they profit when they have more eyes on their cable news stations and is that motivation for them to promote biased news coverage to fan the flames of their base?  And what about Tucker Carlson?  What exactly is Tucker Carlson now that he is promoting his name in support of the "truckers" by selling t-shirts for a mere $35.00 a piece?  (Not clear if that is USD or Canadian).   

*For clarification, I put truckers in quotes since it appears significant numbers of the protestors where not truckers.

Oh, yeah.  Almost forgot.  A link.  Not normally a source I watch, but I saw a few clips tonight. This is one of them.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/media/2022/0 … -politics/

Where is the outrage!  Of course, conservatives regularly make hay off of their hypocritical stances.
-

Feb 15 22 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

News about a "new" variant. PRELIMINARY DATA, NOT PEER REVIEWED YET so at this point just something to keep an eye on.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

As BA.2 subvariant of Omicron rises, lab studies point to signs of severity

By Brenda Goodman, CNN
Updated 9:28 PM ET,
Thu February 17, 2022
----  https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/17/health/b … index.html

(CNN) - The BA.2 virus -- a subvariant of the Omicron coronavirus variant -- isn't just spreading faster than its distant cousin, it may also cause more severe disease and appears capable of thwarting some of the key weapons we have against Covid-19, new research suggests.

New lab experiments from Japan show that BA.2 may have features that make it as capable of causing serious illness as older variants of Covid-19, including Delta.

And like Omicron, it appears to largely escape the immunity created by vaccines. A booster shot restores protection, making illness after infection about 74% less likely.

BA.2 is also resistant to some treatments, including sotrovimab, the monoclonal antibody that's currently being used against Omicron.

The findings were posted Wednesday as a preprint study on the bioRxiv server, before peer review. Normally, before a study is published in medical journal, it is scrutinized by independent experts. Preprints allow research to be shared more quickly, but they are posted before that additional layer of review.

"It might be, from a human's perspective, a worse virus than BA.1 and might be able to transmit better and cause worse disease," says Dr. Daniel Rhoads, section head of microbiology at the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio. Rhoads reviewed the study but was not involved in the research.

BA.2 is highly mutated compared with the original Covid-causing virus that emerged in Wuhan, China. It also has dozens of gene changes that are different from the original Omicron strain, making it as distinct from the most recent pandemic virus as the Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Delta variants were from each other.

[...]

"As you may know, BA.2 is called 'stealth Omicron,' " Sato told CNN. That's because it doesn't show up on PCR tests as an S-gene target failure, the way Omicron does. Labs therefore have to take an extra step and sequence the virus to find this variant.

"Establishing a method to detect BA.2 specifically would be the first thing" many countries need to do, he says.

"It looks like we might be looking at a new Greek letter here," agreed Deborah Fuller, a virologist at the University of Washington School of Medicine, who reviewed the study but was not part of the research.

Mixed real-world data on subvariant's severity

BA.2 is about 30% to 50% more contagious than Omicron. It has been detected in 74 countries and 47 US states.

[...]

But, there's mixed evidence on the severity of BA.2 in the real world. Hospitalizations continue to decline in countries where BA.2 has gained a foothold, like South Africa and the UK. But in Denmark, where BA.2 has become the leading cause of infections, hospitalizations and deaths are rising, according to WHO.

Resistant to monoclonal antibody treatments

[...]

When the researchers infected hamsters with BA.2 and BA.1, the animals infected with BA.2 got sicker and had worse lung function. In tissues samples, the lungs of BA.2-infected hamsters had more damage than those infected by BA.1.

[...]

But there was a bright spot: Antibodies in the blood of people who'd recently had Omicron also seemed to have some protection against BA.2, especially if they'd also been vaccinated.

And that raises an important point, Fuller says. Even though BA.2 seems more contagious and pathogenic than Omicron, it may not wind up causing a more devastating wave of Covid-19 infections.

[...]

The virus matters, she says, but as its would-be hosts, so do we.
"Our immune system is evolving as well. And so that's pushing back on things," she said.

Right now, she says, we're in a race against the virus, and the key question is, who's in the lead?

"What we will ultimately want is to have the host be ahead of the virus. In other words, our immunity, be a step ahead of the next variant that comes out, and I don't know that we're quite there yet," she said.

For that reason, Fuller says, she feels like it's not quite time for communities to lift mask mandates.

"Before this thing came out, we were about 10 feet away from the finish line," she said. "Taking off the masks now is not a good idea. It's just going to extend it. Let's get to the finish line."

Feb 17 22 07:25 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

There have been some reports through the pandemic of women refusing vaccination because of the unfounded rumors that the vaccination could result in damaging a woman’s ability to carry a child.  There have also been reports that women refused vaccinations because of concerns of the impact on a pregnancy.  In the fact based part of life, some women with covid-19 have been lucky that both they and their child made it through pregnancy, because in some cases, mother or child or both have not.  While being concerned about very small percentages of people suffering a serious complication from the vaccine, expectant mothers should be aware that still births during the pandemic and correlated to covid-19, have increased from .98% to 2.7%.  That is significant.

MM "management has decided that COVID misinformation poses a potential risk to the membership," according to their covid-19 misinformation policy (https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post … st19952425) and considering that a significant and very important part of our community consists of wonderful women of child bearing age, the following information is much more important than the troublesome lies and misrepresentations other members have inundated us with.  It would be horrible if a member of this community loses a loved one, as some have, and so much more appalling if a member loses her child because she was forced to navigate through the misinformation that has been presented in these pages- said information being the unconscionable garbage that has been allowed for the sake of a dishonest and one-sided debate.  Sources abound where unreliable information can be found.  This place should not be one of those places.  Nor should members that have spent countless hours making efforts to provide reliable information and countering the disgusting falsehoods, be driven off the site for their efforts.

The following excerpts of the linked article were written by Maggie Mancini of the Philly Voice staff. 12 Feb 2022
https://www.phillyvoice.com/covid-19-pl … 66WGvr3_AQ

The coronavirus can infect the cells of a pregnant woman's placenta, damaging the vital link between a woman and the fetus she is carrying and resulting in a stillbirth in rare instances, researchers say.

COVID-19 previously was linked to an increase in stillbirths, but it had been thought the virus causing the disease infected those fetuses. This new study suggests COVID-19 infections can attack a woman's placenta, just as it has been known to infect the lungs, liver, brain and a growing list of other human organs.

Researchers examined 68 perinatal deaths.  Nearly all of the the fatalities were stillbirths. Also, all of the women involved in the study were unvaccinated and were infected the coronavirus while pregnant.

They found in 97% of these cases the mother's placenta had been nearly destroyed by the virus resulting in asphyxiation of the fetus.

While the number of stillbirths looked at in this study is relatively small and more research into the connection between COVID-19 and pregnancy complications is needed, Schwartz suggests obstetricians perform third-trimester ultrasounds on pregnant women who test positive for the coronavirus. 

It reported that the stillbirth rate among expectant mothers who contracted COVID-19 increased from .98% to 2.7% when the delta variant emerged in July 2021.

As of Feb. 5, more than 71,000 pregnant people have been vaccinated. Of them, more than 7% were vaccinated during their pregnancies, according to CDC data.

Edited 220220 17:08

Feb 20 22 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
[...]

Sources abound where unreliable information can be found.  This place should not be one of those places. Nor should members that have spent countless hours making efforts to provide reliable information and countering the disgusting falsehoods, be driven off the site for their efforts.

[...]

Those responsible for the above situation should be ashamed. You know who you are.

Considering recent events, I am taking a break.

Feb 21 22 08:17 am Link

Photographer

E Thompson Photography

Hyattsville, Maryland, US

The C.D.C. Isn’t Publishing Large Portions of the Covid Data It Collects

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/20/heal … -data.html

Feb 21 22 09:54 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Los Angeles, California, US

Post hidden on Feb 22, 2022 08:55 pm
Reason: not helpful

Feb 21 22 11:20 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

An example that adults can learn from:

https://www.kcur.org/arts-life/2022-02- … n-walk-out

Feb 21 22 06:24 pm Link

Photographer

Globefunseekers

Post hidden on Feb 22, 2022 08:55 pm

Feb 22 22 08:17 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

From the AP column "NOT REAL NEWS: A look at what didn’t happen this week."  Once again it is evident that social media is an inappropriate place to get news if you value the truth.

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukrai … 50631267c7

"A roundup of some of the most popular but completely untrue stories and visuals of the week. None of these are legit, even though they were shared widely on social media. The Associated Press checked them out. Here are the facts:"

excerpts (slightly adjusted in some cases for clarity since the context may be impacted by not quoting the entity of the story.)

As has been the trend, most of the false claims are related to the misinformation campaign by anti-vax and anti-health cells. 
No, Queen Elizabeth II is not taking ivermectin. 

Another lie involves experts reliance on research done prior to the pandemic to recommend changes to childhood development milestones used by pediatric professionals to identify developmental delays or disabilities. Social media users are misrepresenting updates to the milestones, such as communication or cognitive behaviors, to falsely claim that changes were made because of the effects of the pandemic on children from masks and lockdowns.

After the embarrassing (or, at least, the participants should be embarrassed) anti science, anti society displays in Canada, social media users have spread an erroneous claim in recent days suggesting that Trudeau will be removed if enough emails are submitted. “The Governor General of Canada said she needs 958,000 emails to remove Trudeau,” reads the false post shared across social media platforms.  The Office of the Secretary to the Governor General said “no such registry or process exists.”

It really helps to look a little deeper when faced with the outlandish comments that some people are all too willing to believe and share.

Feb 26 22 05:49 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Research just made public indicates the virus which presents itself as what is known as covid-19, did not start in a lab.  Not that this matters to anyone other than those that simply want to know the truth.  The virus is here.  It is here to stay.  There isn't anything that can be done if it was from a lab.  Of course, the rabbit hole dwellers will be unable to accept this information because it does not align with what they already know, even though what they know is not fact based. 

It is important where it came from because we should have been ready for it regardless of it coming from a lab or jumping from animals.  WE SHOULD HAVE BEEN READY FOR IT!  We could have been ready for it if we picked presidents because they are competent.  We were not ready because of what trump and his administration did.  Consequently, the lesson should not be lost that we need to be ready for it again for WHEN another virus jumps from animals to humans in China, India or Kansas.  Yeah, that Kansas. And we should be ready for it if a virus escapes from a lab in Wuhan or Massachusetts.   It shouldn't matter where it comes from and it wouldn't have had such an impact, if we were ready.

I am linking CNN.  I know that will make some of you dismiss the information, but please feel free to go to the source.  It is probably in The NY Times, but that often has a paywall.  I heard it on NPR about sunset while I was driving in the big glow that fortunately had nothing to do with a thermal nuclear attack, but I don't see a link to the story on NPR yet.  Either read it, research it, or close your mind.  Which ever turns you on.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/26/health/c … index.html
excerpts:
Worobey likened the pattern of the coronavirus' initial spread to a firework, with the market at its center. The explosion started in late 2019, but the pattern had changed completely by January or February 2020, the hallmark of a virus "seeping into the local community."

Garry was co-author on the study that found at least two zoonotic or animal-transmission events. It notes that the pandemic began with two major viral lineages, called A and B, although it says there were probably even more forms of the virus "that failed to establish in humans." Lineage B is the more common of the two and the only one that had previously been found at the market, but the study says lineage A was also circulating around the area early in the outbreak.

The virus most likely started with at least two animal transmissions, with a raccoon dog or another mammal serving as the intermediate host before it spread to humans, the study says.

When considered along with reports of SARS-CoV-2 infection in animals like big cats, deer and hamsters, this shows that "this is a virus that just doesn't care what it replicates in," Garry said.

Feb 27 22 03:43 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus- … f62ebee6e8

"A visibly annoyed Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis admonished a group of students for wearing face masks at an indoor news conference Wednesday, saying it was time to stop what he called “this COVID theater.”

DeSantis, a fierce opponent of virus mask and vaccine mandates, approached the students and asked them to remove their masks as they awaited the Republican governor at the news conference at the University of South Florida in Tampa.

“You do not have to wear those masks. I mean, please take them off. Honestly, it’s not doing anything. We’ve got to stop with this COVID theater. So if you wanna wear it, fine, but this is ridiculous,” he said, letting out an audible sigh and shaking his head."

----------

Really?  I mean, why should he care if people CHOSE to wear a mask?  It seems all that talk about people being free to do what they want is just talk.   Of course he said they could wear them after berating them for wearing them.  Isn't that called bullying?

Personally, I am looking forward to wearing one in the upcoming pollen season.  All those rightist will be going berserk to see me outside, even out in the woods (tree pollen!), wearing a mask!  Will heads explode?  Little chance that they will understand that it isn't because of covid, but because masks filter pollen and dust.

"Christina Pushaw, has tweeted defenses of the governor’s comments, writing “I mean, someone had to say it, after 2 years of propaganda that terrified and manipulated young people. Breathe free, feel safe and be happy.”"

Yeah, I say almost the same thing:  "Wear a mask. Breathe free, feel safe and be happy. It is important after more than 2 years of rightist propaganda and lies (like masks don't do anything) that terrified and manipulated people of all ages!"

"The federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention late last month eased its masking guidelines, though is still recommending masks indoors in areas it considers high risk. Hillsborough County, where the college is located, is deemed high risk by the CDC.

The incident drew criticism of DeSantis over social media. U.S. Rep. Frederica Wilson, a Florida Democrat, tweeted, “Shame on you, Governor DeSantis, for berating students who choose to wear masks and for calling the ongoing #COVID pandemic ‘theater.’”"

Mar 02 22 02:34 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Mar 06 22 12:14 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

If you ordered your first set of four FREE Covid at home antigen tests, the govt is now offering a second round of four FREE at home Covid antigen tests to home users.

If you have not ordered your first set of four tests, they will allow you to order both shipments the same day for a total of eight tests.  The tests can be ordered FREE at:

https://www.covidtests.gov/

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The White House said it is offering a second round of free coronavirus tests to all Americans.

----  https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/03/07 … -americans

The White House on Monday said that it would begin offering a second round of four free at-home coronavirus tests to all American households, delivering on a pledge President Biden made last week in his State of the Union address, when he framed the offer as part of a broader effort to stay ahead of possible outbreaks and new variants.

The administration is reopening eligibility this week “so we’re prepared no matter what Covid-19 brings,” Mr. Biden said in a brief video the White House posted. A White House spokesman described the announcement as a “soft launch” ahead of a more formal rollout of the free tests on Tuesday. Like the first round, the tests would be delivered through the U.S. Postal Service.

The kits, which can be ordered through the same federal website — https://www.covidtests.gov/ — are part of a program Mr. Biden announced in December that swelled from 500 million to one billion, some of which may eventually be used outside of the mail program, White House officials said.

Mar 08 22 11:46 am Link

Photographer

rxz

Glen Ellyn, Illinois, US

I just talked with the Thai owner of the sushi restaurant I go to.  She said covid cases are up in Thailand.  Possibly from a new variant of covid and not omicron.  Too soon to know for sure.  Has anyone else heard anything?

Mar 09 22 01:23 pm Link

Clothing Designer

Baanthai

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

rxz wrote:
I just talked with the Thai owner of the sushi restaurant I go to.  She said covid cases are up in Thailand.  Possibly from a new variant of covid and not omicron.  Too soon to know for sure.  Has anyone else heard anything?

Thailand is in the middle of a small omicron wave. About 20,000 new cases/day of a country of 65 million. The wave should end in a couple of weeks. No news of any new variants.

Beware of getting epidemiological info from a Thai sushi restaurant.

Mar 10 22 07:21 am Link

Photographer

rxz

Glen Ellyn, Illinois, US

Baanthai wrote:
Beware of getting epidemiological info from a Thai sushi restaurant.

The restaurant owner's family is in Thailand and she talks with them also daily.

Mar 10 22 12:02 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

My buddy in Phuket says things have been pretty stable for the past several months- He says a good percentage of folks wear masks, and everyone he knows is vaccinated. He spends a lot of time traveling in the region, and frequently eats in restaurants, and shops in the local stores without much concern.

Says he feels at least as safe there as he did in Texas....

Note: The Thai population has a 8% higher vaccination rate than the US population...
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

From the Thai Embassy, March 7, 2022

CCSA English briefing on Monday 7th March 2022 (Unofficial translation) 

1. Overview

1.1 Recap the Thai briefing by Dr. Sumani Watcharasin, focusing on (1) public health measures in preparation for the Songkran festival in April, and (2) booster doses to help decrease the numbers of deaths and severity of Covid-19 according to statistics around the world.

1.2 The average number of new community-acquired COVID-19 cases reported per day has remained in the region of 21,000–22,000. Although daily reported case numbers continue to fluctuate, Thailand is still not seeing the steep rise seen in other countries due to the omicron COVID-19 variant. The total number of cases reported on 26 February 2022 (25,615), was the highest ever reported in Thailand.

1.3Rising COVID-19 vaccination rates in Thailand continue to significantly reduce levels of severe illness and deaths caused by COVID-19 strains. High vaccination rates also help to reduce the transmission of COVID-19.

1.4 The CCSA strongly recommends that members of the public remain vigilant by practicing Universal Protection, as well as getting their vaccine or booster shot, which will help lessen severity of infection.

[...]

3. General Situation

3.1 The number of new cases is 21,162 cases with 23,159 cases new recoveries. The number of accumulated cases stands at 3,047,857cases. There are 65 new fatalities, with the accumulated total at 23,300 cases (0.76%).

3.2 The current top ten provinces with most COVID-19 cases per day are Bangkok (2,803),
Nakhon Si Thammarat (1,042), Samut Prakarn (872), Chonburi (784), Nonthaburi (723), Samut Sakhon (659), Nakhonratchasrima (614), Phuket (592), Nakhon Pathom (589) and Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya (567).

3.3 New infections and clusters still arise from restaurants, markets, schools, offices, factories, religious rituals and from within families. 

4. Vaccination Progress

4.1 Yesterday, Thailand administered 82,478 doses of vaccines, increasing the accumulated number of vaccinations to close to 125 million doses.

4.2 This brings Thailand to 77.6 percent (over 53.9 million people) of the population received their first dose, 71.7 percent (over 49.8 million people) received their second dose and 30.3 percent (over 21 million people) received their third dose.

5. COVID-19 may turn into Endemic Disease in Thailand

5.1 According to a study carried out by the Public Health Ministry, the pandemic situation in Thailand has stabilized and continues to improve due to the high rate of vaccine rollout and good public healthcare system, so its status should be changed to endemic by July this year.

5.2 The study came up with the following conclusion:
- Thailand has successfully dealt with the pandemic due to good leadership, good management, good human resources, a good supply of medicines and medical facilities, a good supply of vaccines, good operations and most importantly, good participation of all sectors.
- Several countries such as Spain, India and China along with the state of California in the US are getting ready to treat Covid-19 as an endemic disease. The experts believe that the pandemic is approaching its ending because new variants are becoming less dangerous. Also, the rate of infection in Thailand is slowing down and should improve enough to enter the endemic stage by July.

6. Innovation in response to COVID-19 - 'Promising' Covid-19 nasal spray to launch in the third quarter of 2022
- The spray is being developed under joint efforts by Chulalongkorn University, Silpakorn University, Health Systems Research Institute (HSRI), the Government Pharmaceutical Organization (GPO) and an undisclosed private bioscience company.
- The cooperation agreement has been signed to produce the anti-Covid-19 nasal spray, and it could be a subject for global research. A team of researchers has undertaken the development of the spray since the onset of the pandemic two years ago with support from the private sector and state-run HSRI and it has reached a point where a prototype antibody was obtained and subsequently patented.
- Now the technology is being transferred to the private sector, which is conducting clinical research to meet the standards needed for registration with the country's Food and Drug Administration. The spray is expected to be made available for sale in the third quarter of this year.

Full CCSA English briefing can be viewed here >>> https://fb.watch/bBpg6TpoA-/

Source: CCSA, Public Relations Department, and Department of Information, Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA)

Mar 10 22 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

Thru most of the pandemic, Europe has been a few weeks ahead of the trends we see here in the US. I dont know if that will remain true in this instance, but it is worth noting.

I think it is important to consider what the scientists are saying about the newest prominent variant --- {it is} more a cause for caution than alarm.

The old saying "forewarned is forearmed" comes to mind
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Europe’s New Omicron Rise Could Be a Sign for the U.S.
----  https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/03/17 … es-vaccine

Europe’s rising caseloads could foreshadow a second Omicron surge in the U.S.

Experts warn that another coronavirus wave may be imminent in the United States, fueled by a more contagious Omicron subvariant that is spreading rapidly in Europe, though they said the trend was more a cause for caution than alarm.

The Omicron variant this month began its second sweep through Europe, where past virus surges have been a harbinger of what was to come in the United States. Many countries thought they were free of the worst of Covid and raced to lift restrictions in February and March, but a highly transmissible Omicron subvariant, BA.2, is contributing to the new surge.

The surges have not led to a widespread rise in hospitalizations in Europe, though the number of Covid patients is on the rise in a few countries, including Austria, Britain and the Netherlands, according to Our World in Data. And BA. 2 does not appear to cause more severe illness than BA.1, and existing vaccines are effective against it.

Some countries, including Germany and Austria, are again approaching record levels of caseloads or have even exceeded them. Cases per capita in Europe were already far higher than any other region in the world when they began creeping up again earlier this month. The continent is now recording 95 cases per 100,000 people, after bottoming out at 87 on March 3; the United States and Canada, by comparison, are recording 10 cases per 100,000 people, according to a New York Times database.

All 50 U.S. states made the same choice by the beginning of this month, lifting their universal indoor mask mandates after the winter Omicron surge retreated. Caseloads in the country have continued to drop since then, reaching levels this week not seen since last summer, according to the Times database.

But throughout the pandemic, Covid trends in the United States have lagged Europe’s by a few weeks. And U.S. wastewater data is already showing signs of a new increase.

Dr. Wafaa El-Sadr, a professor of epidemiology and medicine at Columbia University, said that the data was a sign that people should be cautious.

“But I would not say that people should be alarmed as of yet,” she said on Wednesday.

[...]

The BA.1 subvariant remains the predominant Omicron subvariant in the United States, but BA.2 is more contagious and spreading fast, so Dr. El-Sadr said it was important for Americans to be vaccinated and boosted. “This will protect us from what’s coming next,” she said.

BA.2 is responsible for only a fraction of coronavirus cases in the United States, but that share is growing, according to estimates from the C.D.C. The subvariant’s spread in the United States depends on a number of factors, including people’s existing immunity and the subvariant’s severity.

[...]

Mar 17 22 11:09 am Link

Photographer

Globefunseekers

You may want to scroll to the bottom for the apendix of adverse events of special interest that everyone is too distracted to get a look at, my own father was the latest victim of it, as he died mysteriously after the booster.  This is from the FDA after a FOI request had them speed up the release of the safety data.

https://phmpt.org/wp-content/uploads/20 … rience.pdf

Mar 17 22 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

New report on the effectiveness of a 2nd vaccine booster among senior citizens.

Keep in mind that other vaccine studies have suggested that that there may be much more of a difference (earlier on) in Israel as they didn't wait as long between their vaccine shots doses.  They now know that people have better protection for longer periods of time, when the initial shots and booster intervals were spaced out more, compared to the "rush" schedule that was used in Israel.

But at some point, like so many other vaccines, another booster shot will become important.

---

"Israeli study: 2nd vaccine booster significantly lowers COVID death rate"

"Senior citizens who received a second booster of the Pfizer–BioNTech COVID-19 vaccination had a 78% lower mortality rate from the disease than those who got one only, a study from Israel showed on Sunday.

The country’s largest healthcare provider, Clalit Health Services, said the 40-day study included more than half a million people aged 60 to 100.

Some 58% of participants had received a second booster – or two shots in addition to the basic two-shot regimen. The remainder had received only one booster. Researchers recorded 92 deaths among the first group and 232 deaths among the second, smaller group.

“The main conclusion is that the second booster is lifesaving,” said Ronen Arbel, Health Outcomes Researcher at Clalit and Sapir College.

The report was issued as a preprint and has not been peer-reviewed. The research excluded people who received rival Moderna’s vaccine and those who had taken oral anti-COVID therapy."

— Reuters

Mar 27 22 10:51 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

LightDreams wrote:
"Israeli study: 2nd vaccine booster significantly lowers COVID death rate"

Quick update on the above...

The FDA has now authorized "Pfizer and Moderna Covid-19 vaccines to allow adults age 50 and older to get a second booster as early as four months after their first booster dose of any Covid-19 vaccine".

Mar 29 22 10:31 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Have you heard this unsurprising rightist lie?   "CLAIM: There were more than 61,000 excess deaths among the millennial age group in the U.S. in the second half of 2021 because of COVID-19 vaccines."

Yes, deaths in the 25-44 age group were indeed up in 2021 — provisional mortality data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows 63,141 more deaths among millennials in 2021 compared to 2019, but experts told the AP that COVID-19 itself is the obvious culprit for the deaths, not the vaccines. 

"COVID-19 has become the third leading cause of death in the U.S., behind heart disease and cancer. Experts have said drug overdoses also contributed to higher-than-expected death rates in 2021. “If you compare the excess deaths numbers to the total COVID reported death numbers, most of those excess deaths are going to be from COVID itself,” Spencer Fox, associate director for the University of Texas’ COVID-19 Modeling Consortium, told the AP. “They’re not there’s not some mysterious thing happening that’s causing these excess deaths.”"

"Reports of death due to the COVID-19 vaccine are extremely rare. The CDC has recorded nine deaths associated with rare blood clots that were caused by the Johnson & Johnson/Janssen vaccine. Currently, 217.2 million people in the U.S. are fully vaccinated. “To date, CDC has not detected any unusual or unexpected patterns for deaths following immunization that would indicate that COVID vaccines are causing or contributing to deaths, outside of the nine confirmed deaths following the Janssen vaccine,” said Martha Sharan, a spokesperson for the CDC."

excerpts from:
https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukrai … bded23b425

Apr 01 22 02:01 pm Link

Photographer

DCurtis

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

Post hidden on May 05, 2022 05:36 am
Reason: not helpful

May 04 22 09:23 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

15 MILLION Died from COVID-19  (WHO Report)

I realize that some people vehemently disagree, especially those who fought so hard to claim that Covid was either just a hoax, a political game, or that claimed one of any number of conspiracy theories.  But for the rest of you, here's the Reuters news report:

"(Reuters)  Almost three times as many died as a result of COVID than officially reported - WHO"

"Almost three times as many people have died as a result of COVID-19 as the official data show, according to a new World Health Organization (WHO) report, the most comprehensive look at the true global toll of the pandemic so far.

There were 14.9 million excess deaths associated with COVID-19 by the end of 2021, the U.N. body said on Thursday. The official count of deaths directly attributable to COVID-19 and reported to WHO in that period, from January 2020 to the end of December 2021, is slightly more than 5.4 million.

The WHO’s excess mortality figures reflect people who died of COVID-19 as well as those who died as an indirect result of the outbreak, including people who could not access healthcare for other conditions when systems were overwhelmed during huge waves of infection. It also accounts for deaths averted during the pandemic, for example because of the lower risk of traffic accidents during lockdowns.

But the numbers are also far higher than the official tally because of deaths that were missed in countries without adequate reporting. Even pre-pandemic, around 6 in 10 deaths around the world were not registered, WHO said.

The WHO report said that almost half of the deaths that until now had not been counted were in India. The report suggests that 4.7 million people died there as a result of the pandemic, mainly during a huge surge in May and June 2021."
[...]

https://www.reuters.com/world/almost-th … 022-05-05/

May 05 22 11:10 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

May 07 22 06:05 pm Link