Forums > Critique > Looking for feedback on first semi-nude photoshoot

Photographer

Sean615

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Hey all - I'm an MM newbie although I've been shooting off an on for about 10 years in Nashville (portraits, families, a few weddings, etc). I just did my first semi-nude photo shoot and would love some feedback. The model (ella_noir) and I shot for about 3 hours and I was just trying to get as many looks as possible in that time frame to start building my portfolio. I was aiming for sexy, flirty, alluring and just trying to have fun and see what happened, and I am pretty happy with how things turned out. I would love to hear objective thoughts from experienced and newer photographers alike. Just click on my profile and they are the only photos in there. Looking for new MM friends too!

Thanks in advance!

-Sean

Mar 02 20 06:38 am Link

Photographer

Wandering Eyebubble

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hi Sean,

Overall I like the photos and I can tell you're excited about the shoot but 54 images is really way too much (I normally just upload a single image, in your case perhaps one per look, your favourite for each).

I don't think the white thong works with the red/black lingerie, but my pick would be this one:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/46172341

I'm also more a fan of natural light with actual backgrounds. These two are lovely:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/46172200
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/46172190

And these two:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/46172105
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/46172102

So I'd select maybe two or three from the above and use those as a starting point. Very nice photos overall, and the model is beautiful.

Mar 02 20 10:44 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I think its a good way to start out shooting in this genre and posting on MM

You have found a Good Model and captured her well in different lighting conditions

Others ( Models and Photographers ) will see your work and give you feedback ( via views .comments etc ) as to which images they like better

Over time You can weed out the lesser liked ( or lesser quality ) images and build on what you have by introducing newer work with other Models

However there are some Models that are so good that You could build a whole portfolio on them ( but if that is your goal here  I think You would need to have a broader range of styles and garments for such a shoot )

PS - I have viewed the 5 photos that I like best in this series

edit

and in the end it would probably serve you best to keep only 4 to 5 posted

Mar 02 20 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

Leaf Zhu

Shanghai, Shanghai, China

I have to say I prefer the images in ambient shooting to the white background, because both the lighting and the model's performances are more natural and emotional in ambient shooting. From the visual perspective, entirety colors were too simple in white background, and it also lacked light and shadow effects. All these are my feeling, just for reference.

Mar 02 20 07:54 pm Link

Photographer

Photo Art by LJ

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Overall a good start.

Rather than comment on your photos though, I'm more curious about the comments in your bio about how you've done weddings/portraits for 10 years, and now want to branch out into doing nudes...  apparently with the hope of some day making money from it?

There is precious little money in nudes. Most who do it do it because they enjoy it... and are willing to fork up the $125/hr most good traveling models charge. I'm just curious what your plan/goal is.

Once I hear that, I might be able to comment more on your first shoot.

Mar 02 20 11:32 pm Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Sean from the prospective of a stylist and part time art director for a photography studio let me offer up as an overall observation: What are you wanting to say or sell in your photos?  Most often it's a total look you want to capture. Love the models hairstyle,  it's not under or over whelming. Her makeup is natural and youthful. Her nails and jewelry are too much. Less jewelry. While the nail color is soft and not attention getting her length and shape plus the aquwardness of the fingers in some pictures are distracting. Unless it's a fashion styled shoot the three colors on the lingerie, distracting. Or show us why she is wearing all three. She's dressing and is laughing at her mismatched pieces. And it better work or don't do it.  Tell a story. And you want the models to look tall. Monacramatic is almost always a better choice. Last  I am guessing once the general opinions are in you'll edit down to a few. With that said I would choose the ones that are the most believable, natural feeling. Not forced. Less is more.

Mar 08 20 08:28 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Sean615 wrote:
Looking for feedback on first semi-nude photoshoot

The results are good,  the upload is overkill.

Mar 08 20 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

LnN Studio

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I agree that 50+ photos from one shoot is too many but for this point in your career it does serve a purpose of getting feedback. Culling a shoot is a difficult , but necessary task, as too many choices gets people confused and incapable of making a decision on which one they want to buy and hang on their wall.
What separates the good from the great are the fine details, learn to look at the composition , placement of hands, fingers and feet and study them in published photos. The best single piece of advice was from a photo editor and that was pick your Background FIRST as a poor BG ruins many otherwise good photos.
Two things I would do is ask the model for her two favorite photos from each set (wardrobe/ location etc) and compare to the number of views each photo gets. Views are IMO a good indicator of image quality. Start eliminating the ones that do not get as many views.
I like high key but IMO the white thong was a poor color choice, If I was going to high key I would have use a white sheer lingerie, a seated pose ( while or clear chair or too), but with a model with fair skill I would have preferred either black or a pastel color.
I commented on the photos I thought best

Mar 09 20 10:48 am Link

Photographer

_-_-_-

Dallas, Texas, US

1- This is not semi-nude. This is nude.

It's not fully nude, but she is topless, so yeah... nude.

2- She is gorgeous.

3- I like the photos and agree with others that you posted way too many pic from the same shoot.

Mar 09 20 03:31 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

You've posted the same photos multiple times.   Your model is stunning yet sadly you've done the same boring as# boudoir shots we see all the time.   If you are going to pay models have something creative to do and say.   Check out mood boards for ideals:   https://www.pinterest.com/dennishuangph … oto-shoot/     Here is some more:  https://www.pinterest.es/Caseyjadephoto … ude-shoot/

When you get models as pretty as Ella is don't waste them.   The idea is try to avoid cliches.   That includes roses in many cases.

Mar 09 20 09:24 pm Link