Forums > Model Colloquy > Modeling rates

Photographer

Aggrofish

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I'm just trying to get an idea of modeling rates, from models for various genres:

Lifestyle / fully clothed
Swimwear Lingerie implied
Art nude

I generally pay around $100 an hour for paid shoots, but sometimes I get responses like $150 - $250 an hour that seem a little out of line. I'm just curious, it's entirely possible I'm out of touch and rates went up 20- 50 percent in 2020 and I didnt get a notice.

Thanks

Mar 04 20 12:36 pm Link

Photographer

Gamecock Photography

Sumter, South Carolina, US

Work with the ones in your budget range. Let the others fall by the way side. $100hr seems to be the norm. At least in my area.

Mar 04 20 02:40 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Aggrofish wrote:
I didnt get a notice.

An old navy saying: 4 percent never get the word.

Mar 04 20 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Rates may be different per model and location.

Those are the only real world factors and they are not written in stone.

If you are happy with the models you hire and the rates then continue to work with them.
If you are not, look around and see if you can do better.

Those are the only real world options and they are not written in stone.

If rates are quoted they may or may not be negotiable.

Mar 04 20 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

Jarrett Porst

Los Angeles, California, US

Demand changes the landscape for earnings.  Check out the links below.  These range from $50 to $300/hour.  Put an ad in CL if you need some bargains.  You will get bargains.  Every once in a great while, there'll be a little talent in there.

Talented, very, very talented: 
https://www.instagram.com/dela_roo/?hl=en
https://www.instagram.com/katelyn_runck/?hl=en
https://www.instagram.com/marooshk/?hl=en
https://www.instagram.com/meaganlee_1/?hl=en
https://www.instagram.com/lily.spinner.official/?hl=en
https://www.instagram.com/thelifeoflibs/?hl=en

We all want to get paid.  Some of these talents above, live in areas where the rent is $4,000 a month for 1600sqft.  Then they want the luxuries, like,,, food, water, health insurance, blah, diddy bla bla.  Rates are relative to locations and marketability.

Mar 04 20 04:34 pm Link

Photographer

Aggrofish

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Thanks. I’m more than willing to pay for an experienced model. I understand there’s a big difference in a CL reply that wants to be a model and an actual model. The latter knows how to pose, has ideas, is creative and makes the whole process much better. The result is better images.

I was just curious and figured this would be the place to ask.

Mar 04 20 09:22 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

In my experience i have had some very good ( shoot for pay only ) Models chop their rates and even shoot free with me simply because they like my work

So its important to Me to display a portfolio of photos that appeals to Models more than anyone else

Mar 04 20 09:47 pm Link

Photographer

LnN Studio

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

As in all sales transactions you have the ASK rate and the agreed to rate. Most sellers are somewhat flexible depending on how hungry they are. Some really don't want to work so they quote a high rate and are not flexible , better to be unemployed at $150 an hour to be employed at $75 an hour...for two hours.
Say a model wants $150 hr with two hour min, you limit is $100hr. What the model is really saying IMO is that they want $300 and it probably doesn't matter if it is for an hour, two hour or more(but not a full day).
Everything is negotiable  as long as it isn't insulting.

Mar 05 20 07:04 am Link

Photographer

Carle Photo

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Considering I was posing & earning 75-100+ hour in 2000 or so...
By 2020 a raise is due!

The worst are the fine art jobs at $25/hr.
No raise in over 20 years?

*sigh*

Mar 05 20 10:13 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Carle Photo wrote:
Considering I was posing & earning 75-100+ hour in 2000 or so...
By 2020 a raise is due!

The worst are the fine art jobs at $25/hr.
No raise in over 20 years?

*sigh*

Yes, and I was playing bar gigs as a musician in the 80's for $50, tips and drinks (sometimes a meal).
That's a 3 hour gig not counting travel time, set up time, wear and tear on gear and clothing.

Guess what I gig for now??? With insurance rates going up, DUI laws becoming more strict (which is good!) and people having more entertainment options at home, the pay has been about the same for almost 40 years. I don't even know how most clubs stay in business.

I can ask more and sit at home...

Of course, the togs on MM are well paid professionals (hmmm, a few of them are...). Cheers, SD

Mar 05 20 12:10 pm Link

Photographer

Aggrofish

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:

Yes, and I was playing bar gigs as a musician in the 80's for $50, tips and drinks (sometimes a meal).
That's a 3 hour gig not counting travel time, set up time, wear and tear on gear and clothing.

Guess what I gig for now??? With insurance rates going up, DUI laws becoming more strict (which is good!) and people having more entertainment options at home, the pay has been about the same for almost 40 years. I don't even know how most clubs stay in business.

I can ask more and sit at home...

Of course, the togs on MM are well paid professionals (hmmm, a few of them are...). Cheers, SD

Guys that I know that tour and are opening acts make all their money on merchandise.

Mar 05 20 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Aggrofish wrote:

Guys that I know that tour and are opening acts make all their money on merchandise.

Exactly. We are working on new swag, our local fanbase has our old swag. And tips can be generous, often more than what the club pays. We do try to book the clubs where that happens.

Touring is expensive and inconvenient. If you aren't couch surfing and making sandwiches in the band van it can cost more to tour than you will make playing and selling swag. I cook and sleep at home, I prefer that for now.

Mar 05 20 01:33 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Inexperienced models tend to expect high rates because they think that being pretty or taking their clothes off has intrinsic value - which it doesn't.

More experienced models will modulate their rates according to their perception of your ability.

If they see you as a classic GWC with minimal talent, they will charge high.  If they are really into your work, they may work for  trade.  If they see your talent as being somewhat in between, their rates will be somewhat in between, with the possible exception of travelling models who need to cover their expenses, but sometimes even they will work TF if they really dig your style.

Mar 06 20 06:45 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

I come from a world where models are largely paid when there is a client to pay both photographer and model.   I also understand that today the client is often the photographer.   While there seems to be some who can afford the 'standard' rate of $100.00 per hour my guess is many simply can't.   What models pay in rent is  irrelevant because you likely would still have to pay rent no matter your income.   That said there are a lot of stunning women around.  Its not about your worth but what the market will bear.   Recently I cast for a short shoot at a new to me Chicago location.   No nudes and around two hours.   A new model with no fashion or pro level images quoted me $60.00 per hour.

Some here will pop in and talk about all the time it will take her to prepare, etc.   A nice looking woman offered her services for trade.   Many art schools pay nude models $25.00 to $40.00 per hour.   Now we're talking.   I can afford that and my feeling is other shooters can handle that rate or near it.   I will add that the models who do nude art modeling pay rent and have to take time to go to the jobs and prepare like other models.   If you are a model who's being booked for $100.00 per hour or more constantly then who cares what I think.   However if you are only shooting a few times per month at best or less and this is most of what you do then maybe consider some adjustments.

I'm sure this will get some hate on the hidden model forums and here.   In the real world however here in Chicago a traveling nude model who was asking $100.00 per hour found little to no work.

Mar 06 20 08:17 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

I think modeling rates vary greatly depending on the model, where you hire the model from, geographic location, your negotiating skills, how long you are willing to wait, etc.  Of course, what a model asks for and what she may accept are often two very different things.   

My local college pays art models $15-$20/hour.  Models that are employed full time make under $12/hour according to the BLS. (1), but of course that has little to do with MM models.  On MM, I've noticed a big difference between local talent and traveling models, since traveling models must cover their high traveling and lodging costs.  Many traveling models often want $125/hour though I've hired some at half that.  At the other extreme, I've seen posts by MM models who can't ever break out of TF and get paid offers.

I personally haven't found that models I booked through MM are necessarily any better than models I've booked through Craigslist.   It's not like one needs a lot of proven modeling experience to get a MM profile.  In fact, some models that I've booked through Craigslist have a MM profile, but are not actively using it.   I recently hired a model for $50 ($25/hour) from Craigslist who did a great job on boudoir shoot.

(1)   earnhttps://www.bls.gov/ooh/sales/models.htm

Mar 06 20 11:50 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

Quote from the above article : "Pay
The median hourly wage for models was $11.43 in May 2018."

Now I'd expect that number to come from the wages reported by all models on their tax returns (I'm certainly not going to be the  first to suggest that MM models might cheat on their taxes) so it would seem to me that the easiest way to put this whole question to rest would be for the photographers that pay to file for an EIN (Employer Identification Number) with the IRS (in the U.S. at any rate) and begin withholding taxes.  If the model refuses to provide the required SS number, then simply go on to the next model who is willing to comply with the law, which models would by default be offered far more paid work, simply by replacing all the models who would then be unemployed.

So, come on all you photographers that are paying models $100, $200 an hour --- support the IRS, help increase tax revenues and thus  lower taxes for the rest of us and help protect these tender young damsels from entering a life of crime!

(all a bit tongue in cheek, of course)

Mar 06 20 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

Tony Lawrence nailed it, 100% agree.
There is a reason why most models state up front their willingness to negotiate to work with your budget.
Getting $40 an hour for two or three hours is better than getting $100 for zero hours.

Mar 07 20 06:34 am Link

Photographer

Aggrofish

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I'm an amateur hobbyist, but on occasion, I'm tasked with doing something work related and I dont even consider TFP for commercial work. That's where the struggle lies. I'm seeing a lot more odd things lately probably because I'm looking and shooting more.

A model contacted me recently where it was a laundry list of rates:

- X for personal use
-Y for a small brand
- Z for a bigger brand

interesting I guess. Another I saw yesterday that was X for no model release and Y (which was higher) for a model release. The nude work is easy to find and so is TFP primarily on the facebook modeling / photographer groups. The search continues...

Mar 07 20 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Bob Helm Photography wrote:
There is a reason why most models state up front their willingness to negotiate to work with your budget.
Getting $40 an hour for two or three hours is better than getting $100 for zero hours.

At this point in time -Most of the Models I know or seek out are actually quite busy ( with  Pro Modelling and other things ) and I sort of feel that they are almost doing me a favor in shooting for $100 ( for 1.5 to 2 hrs )

Mar 07 20 11:47 pm Link

Model

Model MoRina

MacMurdo - permanent station of the US, Sector claimed by New Zealand, Antarctica

false dichotomy

Accepting a lowball offer and not working at all are not the only possible scenarios.

Mar 08 20 11:36 am Link

Model

Model MoRina

MacMurdo - permanent station of the US, Sector claimed by New Zealand, Antarctica

Aggrofish wrote:
I'm an amateur hobbyist, but on occasion, I'm tasked with doing something work related and I dont even consider TFP for commercial work. That's where the struggle lies. I'm seeing a lot more odd things lately probably because I'm looking and shooting more.

A model contacted me recently where it was a laundry list of rates:

- X for personal use
-Y for a small brand
- Z for a bigger brand

interesting I guess. Another I saw yesterday that was X for no model release and Y (which was higher) for a model release. The nude work is easy to find and so is TFP primarily on the facebook modeling / photographer groups. The search continues...

It's called usage. It's how photographers charge for their work too.  A model has the right to be compensated differently for a shoot where a hobbyist practices his craft as opposed to an image that will be used in a national advertising campaign, no?

But to give my opinion on your original question, yes it is not unusual for models to ask 100 - 150/hr these days. I'm sure in certain areas it could be higher or lower abut the rate depends on the model. Each of us decides what our time is worth for a particular project. Those rates could vary depending on the project, location, length of shoot, shoot content and time of year even.

Mar 08 20 11:42 am Link

Photographer

Carle Photo

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

That is NOT how it works, working all those added hours for $40, takes time away from our marketing and growing our $100 hour jobs.

There is also the LUXE factor in higher paying jobs, they have a tendency to go easier & less drama, than someone who is watching every penny.

Mar 08 20 05:52 pm Link

Model

Liv Sage

Seattle, Washington, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
If you are a model who's being booked for $100.00 per hour or more constantly then who cares what I think.

I'm sure this will get some hate on the hidden model forums and here.   In the real world however here in Chicago a traveling nude model who was asking $100.00 per hour found little to no work.

I was charging $125/hour, two hour minimum two years ago, and many photographers in Chicago had no problem paying that.

So, correct, I wouldn't take your advice about $25-40/hour. I work for art schools as well, and the preparation involved is vastly different. I can show up to an art school straight out of the shower, and generally none of the work created will be blasted all over flickr/deviantart/bentbox/twitter/etc. In fact, I won't be asked to sign a release form at all. Equating the rates artists pay with photography rates is absurd at best and totally disingenuous at worst.

Apr 06 20 10:10 pm Link

Model

Liv Sage

Seattle, Washington, US

Rays Fine Art wrote:
Quote from the above article : "Pay
The median hourly wage for models was $11.43 in May 2018."

Now I'd expect that number to come from the wages reported by all models on their tax returns (I'm certainly not going to be the  first to suggest that MM models might cheat on their taxes) so it would seem to me that the easiest way to put this whole question to rest would be for the photographers that pay to file for an EIN (Employer Identification Number) with the IRS (in the U.S. at any rate) and begin withholding taxes.  If the model refuses to provide the required SS number, then simply go on to the next model who is willing to comply with the law, which models would by default be offered far more paid work, simply by replacing all the models who would then be unemployed.

So, come on all you photographers that are paying models $100, $200 an hour --- support the IRS, help increase tax revenues and thus  lower taxes for the rest of us and help protect these tender young damsels from entering a life of crime!

(all a bit tongue in cheek, of course)

You'd have to be straight out of your mind to think models would provide every photographer they worked with their social security number. It has nothing to do with taxes either - that is outright risky, stupid behavior.

I'd quit and work at a fast food restaurant before handing out my social to anyone who asked. What in the world...

And I pay taxes too. I'm going to end this now because I need to reach down and heave my jaw up off the floor.

Apr 06 20 10:13 pm Link

Model

Liv Sage

Seattle, Washington, US

No it's not. If that's the point a model is at, I always recommend that they find some sort of regular employment and mainly stick to working with other young female photographers (especially if they are interested in photography themselves, they can trade that way with another modelographer).

I'd rather sell prints or do patreon than ever, ever, ever show up to shoot for $40/2-3 hours. Absolutely not. That's what an art school pays (less than what some of them pay), and they'll hire you repeatedly. There is ZERO reason to ever do that for photography - especially if modeling nude.

Apr 06 20 10:17 pm Link