Forums > Model Colloquy > Any models care to dubunk myths?

Photographer

CliveStJohn

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland

I recently shot with a model in Belfast who said over two-thirds of her shoots are in hotel rooms, while another in Dublin said only about 1% of hers are in hotels. This got me thinking if there's a myth based around this and other questions.

Where would MM models normally shoot with percentages? - hotel rooms, large studios, home studios, outdoor locations, other? I've had occasion to hire a board room for a secretary-type shoot and a library for a librarian-type shoot so I know it's varied. Are there any other myths you might be able to confirm or slap-down?

Modelling is such a glamorous profession.
All models are just beauty and no brains.
Models get to keep the clothes they model.
All models have to be skinny and young.
etc, etc, etc

Mar 11 20 09:48 am Link

Photographer

G Reese

Marion, Indiana, US

Gets a large supply of popcorn and soda and sets down behind the bullet proof glass before  the show starts. :-)

Mar 11 20 11:15 am Link

Photographer

Carle Photo

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

CliveStJohn wrote:
I recently shot with a model in Belfast who said over two-thirds of her shoots are in hotel rooms, while another in Dublin said only about 1% of hers are in hotels. This got me thinking if there's a myth based around this and other questions.

A myth based around what?
Hotel rooms?
You asked TWO different people in two different cities & they each had different experiences.

Each situation is different, each model is different, each location is different.....
I've modeled for nearly 20 years by now, my experiences are how I work, others are completely different.

All the myths vanish once you realize that "models" are individual people & have individual situations.

Mar 11 20 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

G Reese wrote:
Gets a large supply of popcorn and soda and sets down behind the bullet proof glass before  the show starts. :-)

https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/bc076a7ad08d78c2fddb9ee29bfeac7b5fbbb3906b460d3eebbaf8e3c43ac062.gif

Mar 11 20 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

It probably would be good - if there was some real participation from Models in this discussion

but those days are long passed

Mar 11 20 11:10 pm Link

Photographer

CliveStJohn

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland

By getting a cross section of replies from models it would be interesting what seems to be the norm from region to region...

Mar 12 20 07:57 am Link

Photographer

Beatnik 13 Photography

Barrie, Ontario, Canada

So at this point,  five responses,  six  if I include this one.  Responses from models at this point  . . . zero.

Mar 12 20 08:29 am Link

Photographer

Carle Photo

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Beatnik 13 Photography wrote:
So at this point,  five responses,  six  if I include this one.  Responses from models at this point  . . . zero.

Are you sure about that?
I stated in my comment that I have been modeling for many years, I STILL model for several clients, I no longer model "full time" as I have a much more rounded business model right now.
https://carlephotography.com/pages/new- … gure-model

Lets bust the MYTH that models can't do anything but model.....

Mar 12 20 09:55 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Carle Photo wrote:
Are you sure about that?
I stated in my comment that I have been modeling for many years, I STILL model for several clients, I no longer model "full time" as I have a much more rounded business model right now.
https://carlephotography.com/pages/new- … gure-model

Lets bust the MYTH that models can't do anything but model.....

I have appreciated the work that Mariah has done over the years. She has even been featured in several photography books.

I regret that I was never able to work with her.

ETA: Oh yes, I have received valuable pointers from models over the years.

Mar 12 20 10:13 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Mark Salo wrote:

I have appreciated the work that Mariah has done over the years. She has even been featured in several photography books.

I regret that I was never able to work with her.

ETA: Oh yes, I have received valuable pointers from models over the years.

There is a photo of her in my portfolio.     smile

Mar 12 20 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

"Any models care to dubunk myths?"  How about that Modelmayhem is  ... what?  Where are all the models?

Mar 12 20 02:51 pm Link

Clothing Designer

veypurr

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

Garry k wrote:
It probably would be good - if there was some real participation from Models in this discussion

but those days are long passed

You are correct

Mar 12 20 04:42 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

CliveStJohn wrote:
..... Are there any other myths you might be able to confirm or slap-down?

Here’s another myth that’ll probably grind some gears:

"You’re not a real model if you don’t make a living with your modelling.”

BTW - The same myth is also said about photographers who don’t make a living from their photography.

Mar 13 20 12:49 am Link

Photographer

Fleming Design

East Hartford, Connecticut, US

Camera Buff wrote:
Here’s another myth that’ll probably grind some gears:

"You’re not a real model if you don’t make a living with your modelling.”

BTW - The same myth is also said about photographers who don’t make a living from their photography.

Really?  I see where people write that you are not a pro photographer if you don’t make a living from photography, which can be debated, but if you shoot you are a photographer.  Just like I boiled water and threw in some pasta yesterday,  I am a cook.  And I contemplated and commented on the future of the planet, I am a philosopher/visionary.  I did a quick sketch of an area to direct someone, I am a cartographer and obviously an artist.  I discussed a possible new business direction, so I am an  entrepreneur.  And I talked back at some political talking heads on TV, making me a pundit.  In fact I did so much more than that yesterday, as you did.  Why worry about the little stuff?  Hell, I wrote this, am I an intellectual?  I need a well deserved nap.

Mar 13 20 10:47 am Link

Model

Nachtzehren

Durham, England, United Kingdom

-- It is hard work and a near-constant hustle. Long days, lots of travel to make it work, potentially jugging modelling and other jobs, cold/warm-calling, time management, self-management to a high standard etc.

-- A fair number of models that I know are highly qualified in various subjects up to and beyond degree level. So, in my experience, this is unfounded. You can be beautiful AND have brains.

-- For some shoots, yes. For some, no.

-- Depends on the niche of modelling you go into. For some niches, yes. For others, no.

Mar 13 20 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Fleming Design wrote:
Really?  I see where people write that you are not a pro photographer if you don’t make a living from photography, which can be debated, but if you shoot you are a photographer.  Just like I boiled water and threw in some pasta yesterday,  I am a cook.  And I contemplated and commented on the future of the planet, I am a philosopher/visionary.  I did a quick sketch of an area to direct someone, I am a cartographer and obviously an artist.  I discussed a possible new business direction, so I am an  entrepreneur.  And I talked back at some political talking heads on TV, making me a pundit.  In fact I did so much more than that yesterday, as you did.  Why worry about the little stuff?  Hell, I wrote this, am I an intellectual?  I need a well deserved nap.

Okay, I can take a photograph, cook a meal, service my motor vehicle etc., but I wouldn't go so far as saying I'm a photographer, a cook and/or a mechanic.

Mar 13 20 07:27 pm Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

As a model for 32+ years, and currently age 67,  I'll give my thoughts.

I model where the photographer or artist wants to set up.  Over the years, I have posed in home studios, college studios and classrooms, art galleries, hotel rooms, offices, meeting rooms, stairwells of skyscrapers, public rest rooms, barns, silos, dozens of various outdoor type settings, and more other places than I could possibly remember.

Over the past 10 years or so, about half of my work has been in hotel rooms as they are convenient and the photographers seem to like them. Given the choice, any setting that I find interesting goes to the top of my list for that day.

Pure BS.  It is whatever you make of it. There are a whole lot of dreamers and those who want to be models who want you to believe it's all like that, but it isn't.  I have been recognized on multiple occasions by strangers who saw photos or artwork featuring me, and their comments are directed toward the interesting poses and settings represented in my work, no one has ever hinted they thought being a model was glamorous. They are more likely to mention that it must take a lot of courage for me to pose naked in front of strangers.

Over the years I have known hundreds of women who model both as hobbyists and as professional models. Some are very well educated, I have posed alongside a college professor and a doctor and others who I never had a clue what education they may have had. Most of us are never going to compete in a beauty contest nor would we even if asked to.  I think models represent a wide cross section of what average women look like. We are all beautiful in our own way.

Having never modelled clothes, I can't address that.

If you look at my portfolio, you will quickly see that is totally incorrect.  While I was thinner in my mid-late 30's when I first started modelling, I have put on weight as I got older.  At 67, I am far from young, and was 35 when I first stripped naked on a whim to pose in an art gallery to find out what it was like. Even 35 is considered to be "old" for a model, but I was determined to prove that age and appearance didn't matter.  I have learned that for the genres I prefer to work in, age and size don't matter at all.  The amazing numbers of photo views and comments seen in my portfolio tell me that I have a huge number of fans, followers, and admirers who could care less about skinny or young.

Mar 14 20 07:55 am Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Basically all your questions/examples are dependent on the type of work

fetish models probably wont be shooting in the woods as often as art nude models, nude models probably arent being supplied clothes so they certainly arent keeping them, etc

Mar 14 20 10:59 pm Link

Photographer

CliveStJohn

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland

Laura UnBound wrote:
Basically all your questions/examples are dependent on the type of work

fetish models probably wont be shooting in the woods as often as art nude models, nude models probably arent being supplied clothes so they certainly arent keeping them, etc

That's actually a really good point. Some of the replies here are very informative for which I thank everyone.

Mar 15 20 01:18 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

One of my all time favorite Fashion Models ( who i met on MM more than a  decade ago ) is now married and the mother of 2 adorable children in Taiwan

She has a Masters degree in Engineering and when she can find the time - she works under contract in various cities around the world designing things like those miniature robots that they perform surgery with

She may be the smartest person I have ever met - but I can't really determine that because she is so down to earth unpretentious and modest - most peoples impression of her would only be that she is quiet and friendly . tall and pretty

Oh and She is one of the Asian Models that will stay in my portfolio here forever - as I am so very fond of her

Mar 15 20 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Garry k wrote:
One of my all time favorite Fashion Models ( who i met on MM more than a  decade ago ) is now married and the mother of 2 adorable children in Taiwan

She has a Masters degree in Engineering and when she can find the time - she works under contract in various cities around the world designing things like those miniature robots that they perform surgery with

She may be the smartest person I have ever met - but I can't really determine that because she is so down to earth unpretentious and modest - most peoples impression of her would only be that she is quiet and friendly . tall and pretty

Oh and She is one of the Asian Models that will stay in my portfolio here forever - as I am so very fond of her

You make a good point!

If we could move away from stereotypes and be more open to what someone might have to offer, other than what's most obvious, perhaps we can discover something new about others, if not ourselves.

Mar 16 20 03:37 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

CliveStJohn wrote:
By getting a cross section of replies from models it would be interesting what seems to be the norm from region to region...

But even by asking here you are getting a very skewed segment that is not any kind of basis for conclusions.

Mar 16 20 04:35 am Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Hello,
I'll bite, (I modeled for about 5-6 years.) Most of my shoots were nature nude shoots, followed by outdoors portraiture, then Hotel room shoots and lastly studio shoots, (including home studios.)

Jen
p.s. I haven't modeled in over a year and hope I get another chance to do so.

Mar 17 20 06:13 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

CliveStJohn wrote:

Yes, that one is dead right, except for my most recent model who is a doctoral candidate, the one before that who is taking a degree in education (and moonlighting as a sugar baby), the special-needs teacher before her who is also profoundly deaf, the store manager before her, the registered nurse before her, the florist before her, the professional magician before her (and, no, I am not making any of these up), not to mention the various white-collar professionals, administrative types, sundry university students, dancers, and skilled tradeswomen who preceded them.  I have also worked with a few full-time professional free-lance models, all of whom are anything but stupid.

Mar 19 20 06:06 am Link

Model

Figures Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Rob Photosby wrote:

Yes, that one is dead right, except for my most recent model who is a doctoral candidate, the one before that who is taking a degree in education (and moonlighting as a sugar baby), the special-needs teacher before her who is also profoundly deaf, the store manager before her, the registered nurse before her, the florist before her, the professional magician before her (and, no, I am not making any of these up), not to mention the various white-collar professionals, administrative types, sundry university students, dancers, and skilled tradeswomen who preceded them.  I have also worked with a few full-time professional free-lance models, all of whom are anything but stupid.

smile I'm a PhD dropout myself, but, at least I know now that I am okay with just my masters at this point in my life. For now. smile
Jen

Mar 21 20 05:29 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Figures Jen B wrote:
smile I'm a PhD dropout myself, but, at least I know now that I am okay with just my masters at this point in my life. For now. smile
Jen

I didn't know this about you, but I am not a bit surprised.  You always seemed to have game.

A number of models that I have worked with have a Masters or above.  I am never surprised by it.  I see modeling as a profession that attracts creative and intelligent people- just the kind of people I want to work with.  It is one of the big pluses, for me, about finding models on MM, as opposed to some place where they started modeling in high school.

Mar 21 20 05:40 pm Link

Model

Figures Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:

I didn't know this about you, but I am not a bit surprised.  You always seemed to have game.

A number of models that I have worked with have a Masters or above.  I am never surprised by it.  I see modeling as a profession that attracts creative and intelligent people- just the kind of people I want to work with.  It is one of the big pluses, for me, about finding models on MM, as opposed to some place where they started modeling in high school.

Thank you so very much and I fully agree with you about creatives!!!

Yourself included.

Mar 21 20 07:52 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Figures Jen B wrote:

Jen

I'm impressed that you have your Masters!    smile

Mar 21 20 07:54 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
I see modeling as a profession that attracts creative and intelligent people- just the kind of people I want to work with.  It is one of the big pluses, for me, about finding models on MM, as opposed to some place where they started modeling in high school.

Would you please help me to understand why for you people who start modelling in High School aren't a big plus.

Mar 22 20 09:34 am Link

Model

Figures Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

I'm impressed that you have your Masters!    smile

Nah, but thank you. I realized that after all those years of wanting to 'learn' in spite of a youth working in factories and textiles the there were, and are, a load of really smart people who are pushing brooms and running sewing machines. Not everyone needs to get the degree but, I just felt compelled to pursue it.

Jen

Mar 22 20 05:13 pm Link

Model

Michelle Genevieve

Gaithersburg, Maryland, US

OK, I'll weigh in . . .

Glamorous? Sometimes. But I think most "glamorous" jobs are mostly hard work, lots of paying your dues, and just money for talent services rendered.

Just beauty and no brains - I have a master's degree. Many models I have worked with have a bachelor's degrees. Even without a degree the good ones at least have a business acumen that shows their intelligence.

Models get to keep the clothes they model - I wish! Hasn't happened to me yet, but sometimes when I am the photographer I give stuff away.

Skinny and young - I started at age 54. Not as skinny as I used to be, but as has already been noted it depends on your genre.

May 31 20 01:15 pm Link

Model

Liv Sage

Seattle, Washington, US

Most of my shoots are definitely not in hotel rooms. In fact, I decided last year I was not going to do any hotel shoots anymore unless it was a really beautiful hotel/B&B. I typically do not like the optics of a hotel shoot, and since I wasn't doing that many anyway, I decided to not do any at all. Will I ever break this rule? Maybe. I once shot in a huge suite at the Four Seasons in Budapest, and I'd probably break the rule for something similar. For a Holiday Express? No.
I'd say the vast majority of my shoots are in a studio at this point. Second most common is an outdoor nature location. Third most common is a home studio or an airbnb. Fourth most common is shooting outdoors in an urban area (not nude). I do not know what the percentages are...I would guess about 50% are in studio with the remaining 50% being divided between all of the other places.

As for the other myths - I'd say modeling as a fine art nude model has a range from but is overall not glamorous. It's mostly answering emails and sitting on transportation to get somewhere. Even at the shoot, it's not generally glamorous. This is going to vary so widely though, that I'm not sure how you'd answer it. For a fine art model who does outdoor work, it's absolutely not glamorous. For a model who does mainly beauty work, it might be.

Models being all beauty and no brains is a tired idea. Deciding any attractive person is stupid is a tired idea.
While education is not directly tied to intelligence by any means, many models are very educated (myself included). Many of us also are consistently learning on our own time or taking certification courses in other areas. I don't think intelligence has much to do with a person's job or whether they hit the genetic lottery.

Whether we keep the clothes really depends. For those of us who are freelance models/self employed, we often supply our own wardrobe. I have a large collection of authentic vintage wardrobe that I have an a la carte option for upon hiring (ie, I will style a shoot). From that perspective I get to keep it haha.
I've also received a bit of wardrobe from photographers over the years.
But, this is going to vary widely from model to model. I'm sure a fashion model in NYC has a vastly difference experience than I do (despite my also being in NYC).

Of course not all models have to be skinny and young. For certain genres (fashion), it certainly helps though. For others (art, lifestyle, etc) it's not a requirement at all.

Jun 08 20 09:34 pm Link

Retoucher

happynathan

Shanghai, Shanghai, China

Post hidden on Aug 27, 2021 05:31 am
Reason: violates rules
Comments:
Spam

Aug 26 21 02:59 am Link

Photographer

Dan OMell

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Well, some models shoot even in the condemned houses, among the ruins ready to collapse on their heads! How to come up with the images that worth that risk? Try to put yourself into their shoes -- they need to envision the future results via your port or publications, to make up their mind, finally.

Personally, I prefer home studio, with the light equipment I got used to, and not being in a mercy of some random hotel management. 

There are way too many models and hotel rooms to match in your vicinity. To search under radar, disclose more about yourself. Don't be frustrated by initial obstacle/rejections -- this is normal. You're not a star (neither are them, mostly, opposite to what they think -- depends of the definition of "stardom").

You're both not perfect in some way, always. Work your best angles together. Planning, vision, clear to-do-tasking. Work numbers. There are hundreds thousand people waiting to be shot. Some of them are potentially good match, but you don't' know that yet, by wasting your time on the first encounters like forever.

There is nothing personal against you in any outcome. To be successful, you switch to a  "robot" mode when searching, and then back to "artistic" one when your search (more or less -- you never know ahead) is over.

How about dreaming big (it's not just about the hotel rooms) -- right now, someone perfect is sitting in their rooms pondering the same thing, on another side. Is it in your area? Even if yes, could be they never heard about MM, or lazy to be registered. Probably, they are scrolling one of their 5 Instagram accounts (one for cats, another for food/exercise, or what not)...

Good luck!

Aug 28 21 03:29 pm Link