Forums > Model Colloquy > Tattoos/No Tattoos

Photographer

MFPhoto

Silver Spring, Maryland, US

I prefer models with no tattoos.  And I find it rather annoying when a model indicates she has no tattoos, and then shows up for the shoot looking like an art gallery.  Sometimes I can see the tattoos on their MM page, but not always.  I feel like the model is deceiving me. 

If you have tattoos, don't indicate on your profile that you don't!  I feel that it detracts from what I am trying to draw attention to.  Please don't waste my time.

Mar 11 20 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

You have been on MM since 2010
I assuming you know how broken the site is ?
Glitches mean that a model enters she has tats bio page reads no tats
Last week talked to new model who put no nudes on bio but glitch enters yes to nudes(She used a phone to create profile so that may be source of lots of the problems)

Mar 11 20 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Some tattoos I can work with, but most I cannot, so I always ask a prospective model directly about tattoos and other body modifications beforehand, and, if they have tattoos, I ask for photos of them.

Mar 13 20 06:50 pm Link

Photographer

Naakt Art

Seattle, Washington, US

If the tattoos are done well, I'm not opposed to them because I'm a hobbyist and they add some variety to my shots.

I did have a problem with a model I shot last year who had lots of shoulder tattoos and asked me if they were OK. I said yes but then she showed up to the shoot after she had a couple of laser removal procedures done. The tats were faded enough that I couldn't enhance them in post to make them look good, so I had to take them out altogether and it caused me a lot of extra time editing.

I have more of a problem with models not showing up groomed/ready to shoot per our agreements vs. tattoos being a bother.

Mar 17 20 04:31 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

MFPhoto wrote:
I prefer models with no tattoos.  And I find it rather annoying when a model indicates she has no tattoos, and then shows up for the shoot looking like an art gallery.  Sometimes I can see the tattoos on their MM page, but not always.  I feel like the model is deceiving me. 

If you have tattoos, don't indicate on your profile that you don't!  I feel that it detracts from what I am trying to draw attention to.  Please don't waste my time.

How odd that you couldn't discern that the model was a walking art gallery when you looked at her portfolio.

Mar 17 20 06:10 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Jen B wrote:
How odd that you couldn't discern that the model was a walking art gallery when you looked at her portfolio.

I can understand why you might think that because, most of the time, you can see a model's tattoos, but some of the time you cannot.

Tattoos on the back can be an unknown because not many models publish bare back shots.

Some portfolios are not kept up to date, and tattoos can be very fresh.

Tattoos are easily concealed by clothing.

I study portfolios very closely, but have consistently found that I still need to ask models specifically if they have any tattoos before engaging them.

However, all that being said, I am inclined to agree with you that a walking art (sic) gallery should have been hard to conceal.

Mar 19 20 06:19 am Link

Photographer

GianCarlo Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

MFPhoto wrote:

I agree and there is no end to this topic.
No matter how big or how tiny, the tattoo will draw the viewers eye. No matter what you may have intended to convey the photograph automatically becomes about the tattoo. Models with tattoos don’t understand this. They love their tattoos and love to show them off. I’m pretty sure the only one who cares about the tattoo is the model or possibly another model or person who is infatuated by tattoos.
At first I shot some beautiful women with tattoos but I quickly realized no matter how nice the pic I did not like seeing the ink in my photos, and I would trash the photographs. Now I just do my best to avoid them or If they are small, pose them out if Possible. Most of the time I skip the model and keep searching. It’s a photographers problem for some of us but it is what it is.

Mar 19 20 06:39 am Link

Photographer

GianCarlo Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Your ad here

Mar 19 20 06:39 am Link

Photographer

Scott Murphy Photo

Pawleys Island, South Carolina, US

A couple of the modeling agencies I shoot for stipulate either no tattoos or one that can be removed with the click of a mouse. No matter how pretty the model or good the image, the eyes are drawn to something our brain thinks should not be there.

If this is a fashion shoot, you want the viewer's attention on the fashion, not on the tattoos she has on her hands, arms, thighs or wherever. Personally I abhor tattoos on men or women and find them trashy, but when you are in the business of producing images for clients you provide what they want.

Jun 20 20 09:13 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

MFPhoto wrote:
If you have tattoos, don't indicate on your profile that you don't!

The Tats and Piercings listings are totally unreliable. Sometimes MM fills it in even if the model leaves those listings blank. Also the "some" specification is totally open to interpretation.

Best to have an advance discussion if it matters to you.

Jun 20 20 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Ten years ago, MM did not have a category for tattoos. I forget when it was added, but several models probably have never bothered to update their profiles to the tattoo and piercing questions.

If "no tattoos" is your thing, ASK. If "some tattoos" is a question to how many or where, ASK.

Do your research. Look closely at the model's portfolio, the credited images, IG, FB, Twitter, wherever. If you see tattoos, now you know. However, not seeing any tattoos does not mean the model had not gotten inked last night. ASK. It could also be someone retouching the tats out. ASK.

This is really not much different than needing a brunette and discovering the model bleached her hair over the weekend. You have to ASK and make sure they know what is expected. COMMUNICATE your expectations if something is a deal breaker.

Do not play the ASS-U-ME game.

Jun 24 20 10:33 pm Link

Photographer

TEB-Art Photo

Carrboro, North Carolina, US

While I tend to prefer un-inked, some tats are really interesting and I like most piercings.

It's funny, you see a picture of a model sometimes -- maybe from the back or side -- and you say "she looks kind of familiar....," then you see the ink -- "ah yes, it is definitely...." whoever.

Aug 02 20 01:44 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

MFPhoto wrote:
Please don't waste my time.

I feel your pain.

Aug 02 20 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

MFPhoto wrote:
Tattoos/No Tattoos

Is it too much to ask?

Aug 03 20 05:37 am Link

Photographer

63fotos

Flagstaff, Arizona, US

MFPhoto wrote:
I prefer models with no tattoos.

Me too. When I first started out I would photograph anybody, but with more experience, I have become more discerning.
I am a hobbyist, but have been published. The models in the published photos were tattoo free.
Having said all this, if I am doing street photography, I am not as critical about people with tattoos.

Aug 03 20 08:33 am Link

Photographer

Jefferson Cole

Prague, Prague, Czech Republic

Inked models reply to my casting calls that clearly state no tattoos, informing me that the ink can be "Photoshoped".

This puts them at a disadvantage, as it incurres additional expense, and delays. Clients dislike such things as extra time and money.
It is after all, my money.

When I see inked subjects on the walls of major museums, I'll may reconsider.

Aug 06 20 08:14 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Jefferson Cole wrote:
Inked models reply to my casting calls that clearly state no tattoos, informing me that the ink can be "Photoshoped".

Don't you love it when people tell you what you can or should do?

Aug 06 20 11:33 am Link

Photographer

Jefferson Cole

Prague, Prague, Czech Republic

Mark Salo wrote:

Don't you love it when people tell you what you can or should do?

One recent respondent said she can hide the tattoo with make up. My Carl Zeiss  lenses show the make up on top of the underlying ink, and the ink.

I feel like people just disqualify themselves for any sophisticated image making.

But then, I could be wrong, I've been wrong before.😏

Aug 06 20 11:57 am Link

Photographer

SF Photography LLC

Freeport, Illinois, US

MFPhoto wrote:

I shot models with all kinds of ink levels. I find I prefer them to either have no ink or are Ink models (walking art gallery). I do shoot them very differently - with an ink model it’s about the ink first. When the model has a little ink I find that it can  distract without being enough work with it. That being said - many models have claimed no ink or don’t show it in their portfolio. Then show up with some. That’s unprofessional in my opinion. On the other hand I’ve worked with models that are very professional about their ink and piercings - they gave me an inventory.

Aug 29 20 05:52 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

MFPhoto wrote:

This is definitely something to discuss in the pre shoot conversations. The site defaults to erasing it somehow. I'd ask ahead of time. Especially when it is a factor.

Sep 13 20 03:58 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Jefferson Cole wrote:

One recent respondent said she can hide the tattoo with make up. My Carl Zeiss  lenses show the make up on top of the underlying ink, and the ink.

I feel like people just disqualify themselves for any sophisticated image making.

But then, I could be wrong, I've been wrong before.😏

Had I any clue I would start modeling at age 46, I wouldn't have gotten my ink in my 30s as I'm sure it hindered things, however, I was living my life and I do not regret the ink. Will I be in anything professional? Not likely with the ink.
Jen

Sep 13 20 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Jen B wrote:

Had I any clue I would start modeling at age 46, I wouldn't have gotten my ink in my 30s as I'm sure it hindered things, however, I was living my life and I do not regret the ink. Will I be in anything professional? Not likely with the ink.
Jen

I like your tattoo because it is unique.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to photograph it.   sad

Sep 13 20 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

tattoos would never stop me from shooting with a subject I was interested in shooting with.

Sep 17 20 05:32 am Link

Clothing Designer

veypurr

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

I shot a model with a face tattoo the other day. My new interest is models with epidermal implants but that is rare to find them.

Sep 17 20 06:37 pm Link

Photographer

DeanLautermilch

Sebring, Florida, US

I've had a local model email many times so today I said 'no ink, I'm old and back then woman did have have any'.

So she goes off so bad that I report her emails to mods.

I would never put a sticker on a nice car.

Sep 18 20 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

david durkee

Long Beach, California, US

Tattoos and implants are the reason I gave up shooting. I shoot erotic work and it's sad that I'd now rather see a woman with her clothes on than see vanity-induced self mutilation (which is what it is.) People say that's harsh, but most of the models I've talked to regarding erotic work seem to think that their tattoo is a unique thing - and it's not. It's like a Harley, if you really want a unique Harley, leave it bone stock as everyone thinks that you can't own a bike like that without adding a lot to it. It's like putting a Walmart bumper sticker on a beautiful Ferrari, it cannot possibly make what was made perfect any better. I adore the female form in most every shape and size, but I find the practice abhorrent. If it were something truly unique, like the one or two women in any city back in the 50's that had ink at that time that would be one thing, but it's hard to show your individuality by being like everyone else now. There's just so much of it. There is no way to elevate beauty by turning into a human doodlepad.

Sadly most of the women who are more expressive in that they like to shoot nude or erotic work seem to think it's the way to be. When I see photographer's profiles like Holly Randall's (IMHO one of the best shooters) who say "At the moment I am looking more for natural beauties with little or no tattoos. I have nothing against tattooed models, in fact some of my favorite models are tattooed, but at the moment **my client base is looking for girls without a lot of ink.**" that says it all. Sites like Kindgirls that show many East European models almost none have ink, piercings or implants. A few do and most photographers edit it out. The market doesn't want it yet you can't convince local models that it's a bad idea. I won't take the time or cost to do that much editing. I give up. Let the negative comments flow....

Oct 02 20 05:59 pm Link

Model

Model MoRina

MacMurdo - permanent station of the US, Sector claimed by New Zealand, Antarctica

david durkee wrote:
Tattoos and implants are the reason I gave up shooting. Blah blah blah....

Really?  Because your profile says that you were out of work so long you had to sell your photo equipment.

But anyway... here's a quick newsflash for you... you are in charge of your body only, and not the bodies of all women. Women do not exist solely to please you and your personal taste. We make choices based on what we want, not what some random photographer decides is right for us. You are entitled to have preferences, but you aren't entitled to bash women for not conforming to your personal standards.

Oct 02 20 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

david durkee

MoRina wrote:
Really?  Because your profile says that you were out of work so long you had to sell your photo equipment.

Yep I did. Back at work and have all new gear, and I shoot different projects now - pets, live music (well after Covid I will again), portraiture, etc.

But anyway... here's a quick newsflash for you... you are in charge of your body only, and not the bodies of all women. Women do not exist solely to please you and your personal taste. We make choices based on what we want, not what some random photographer decides is right for us. You are entitled to have preferences, but you aren't entitled to bash women for not conforming to your personal standards.

I'm not telling women they shouldn't get tattoos or implants, even though I hate them. Women are responding to social pressure to do these things and you don't seem concerned with that. They can do whatever they want. Seriously. I hear you saying that I'm trying to tell women what they can and can't do. I'm not. But when your body is how you make a living (if you are a model) and you are greatly limiting the work you can get simply to respond to social pressure or a cave in to a low self image, it's just plain stupid.

Oct 02 20 08:04 pm Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Los Angeles, California, US

If normal forum practice applies, the OP determines the theme of the thread. This thread, then, is not about whether models should ink themselves. It is about whether inked models should hide the fact.

Models should do whatever they want with their bodies without criticism from the sidelines. They can ink themselves from head to foot if that is what they want to do. Some photographers may also prefer not to shoot tattooed models, and that is THEIR right.

Models HIDING tattoos and failure to disclose a significant physical attribute is just dishonest. As dishonest as a photographer's portfolio full of demure, implied nudity and fashion, and on the day demanding open leg, bondage and dildo play.

Oct 02 20 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

david durkee

Focuspuller, you  are right. I should not have drifted from the OP's topic. I find the model profiles so unreliable on what they put in there to be largely irrelevant - I look a the portfolio to see what is the truth. Many models write No when they do have ink or n/a. To me it's like age of 115 when they are 25, or no measurements. Still keeps them from getting work. The ones that are serious put accurate info in those fields or they get missed in a search.

Beautiful work on your port, BTW.

Oct 02 20 10:05 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

david durkee wrote:
Focuspuller, you  are right. I should not have drifted from the OP's topic. I find the model profiles so unreliable on what they put in there to be largely irrelevant - I look a the portfolio to see what is the truth. Many models write No when they do have ink or n/a. To me it's like age of 115 when they are 25, or no measurements. Still keeps them from getting work. The ones that are serious put accurate info in those fields or they get missed in a search.
[snip]

The issue is a little check box on a Models portfolio page which indicates Tattoos or No Tattoos.

If the Model fails to complete this step when signing up for membership the MM system automatically selects No Tattoos (problem?)

Also, this method of checking boxes was introduced some Years ago during a site update, so if the profile is pre-update times the profile page could also indicate No Tattoos, the default selection, when in reality the Model is inked.

Yes, it is neglect upon the Models part to clarify and/or update the info.  Do they care?  apparently not but it doesn't take all day to visually check and ask during correspondence if the Model is Tattooed.

Oct 03 20 07:02 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:
Yes, it is neglect upon the Models part to clarify and/or update the info.

What amuses me are the models with waists larger than their hips.

Of course, many just leave the hip measurement blank. I assume that these are models who are ashamed of their huge butts.

Oct 03 20 08:52 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Mark Salo wrote:

Of course, many just leave the hip measurement blank. I assume that these are models who are ashamed of their huge butts.

another system issue that reverses the waist and hip measurements.

If Models were to enter their waist measurements where it asks for hip and hip where it asks for waist everything would work just fine.

lol

Oct 03 20 08:56 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Mark Salo wrote:

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:
another system issue that reverses the waist and hip measurements.

If Models were to enter their waist measurements where it asks for hip and hip where it asks for waist everything would work just fine.

lol

My understanding is that the input fields are correctly labeled, just displayed out of order.

Anyhow, does anyone proof read what they have posted?

Oct 03 20 09:31 am Link