Forums > Critique > Salute to an “American Hero” (New Avatar)

Artist/Painter

aquarelle

Chicago, Illinois, US

For the first time in my long MM Membership, I have chosen a new avatar.  My friend Regina is an Emergency Room nurse in LA, on the front lines of the battle against Covid-19.  Shortly before I painted this, Regina had lost a close colleague to the disease.  With this artwork, I salute Regina and all of those who are putting their lives at risk for us.

Apr 04 20 03:28 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

I like it, thank you for sharing!

Watercolor? You've done a nice job of defining a character while maintaining simplicity and the colors are well defined.

Cheers, SD

Apr 04 20 08:09 pm Link

Artist/Painter

aquarelle

Chicago, Illinois, US

Thanks for your kind words, SD.  Yes it’s a watercolor.  I wished there had been an MM and I’d been doing figure work when I lived in Seattle (UDub student).  Washington and the Seattle area have a lot of great figure models!

Bill

Apr 05 20 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

aquarelle wrote:
Thanks for your kind words, SD.  Yes it’s a watercolor.  I wished there had been an MM and I’d been doing figure work when I lived in Seattle (UDub student).  Washington and the Seattle area have a lot of great figure models!

Bill

I love watercolor, it has a certain "life" to it that sets it apart.
Ironically, I was an artist, drawing and painting. I took up photography to capture things to draw and paint and got sideswiped. In the end I've allowed the music that has always been first and foremost in my world to push photography aside for the most part. I'm happy, music is my happy place and always will be.

Little Bellingham has more than it's share of pretty people.
90,000 population with WWU, WCC, BTC and NIC, 1 Uni and 3 colleges.
30,000 students, more or less. Mostly from other places.

Seattle is a bit of a journey from here, there is always a traffic jam in Everett and usually at least one in Seattle.
The train is nice but public transit isn't as good as other large cities.

Portland has GREAT public transit but way too far for a day trip.

Apr 05 20 07:30 pm Link

Photographer

thommo

Kingswood, New South Wales, Australia

as a Registered Nurse  first and a hobby photographer second in Australia, my thoughts are of my colleagues in hospitals across the world.  I was nursing when HIV/AIDS reared its ugly head in the mid 80s and that was nothing like this. To all my health care colleagues, look after yourselves and each other... To all else , as we say in Australia, " STAY THE FUCK AT HOME!!!!!"

Apr 06 20 04:22 am Link