Forums > Critique > Unsure about photo-connection. would love opinions

Model

Amanda_G

Los Angeles, California, US

NSFW

Hey guys, so I'm sifting through old photos and wondering what you all think of this one?  It was part of the same series I shot a few months back, but I feel like it's decent camera-connection?  I don't know.  I'm open to hearing what you all think.   smile   Thank you!  Stay safe.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/46267221

Apr 14 20 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Hi Amanda,

You make eye contact with the camera, but that's about all to be said in favor of the image, IMO.

You're in a lackluster pose and squared up to the camera, making you look thick in the waist. The lighting is flat and the color-balance is off, skewed yellow. (Lighting and color balance aren't your responsibility, but you choose your portfolio images.)

It's far from your best work.

IMO, eye-contact alone doesn't make or save an image.

Apr 14 20 11:53 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

I recommend you find a better photographer and make some high quality images with them.
You are in Los Angeles, it is a huge talent pool.

First and foremost, be safe. Now is not a good time to set up anything. If you have your own camera (including your phone), set up shots yourself and see what you come up with. It's a great way to learn and sometimes the results can be much better than expected.

Cheers, SD

Apr 15 20 01:02 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Amanda_G wrote:
I'm open to hearing what you all think.   smile

The image is a little warm and soft. IMO

Expressionwise at first glance You appeared startled,  it took a longer look for Me to realize the connection..

Apr 15 20 04:15 am Link

Photographer

Rough Hewn Images

Salem, Oregon, US

The image to me is highly blue and magenta.  I used to print images in the film days and there was a photog in my area that would have us custom color some of his images similar to this.  What we would do is print them essentially in sepia, but skew the color to blue or red or whatever color was requested.  If done correctly it can results can be stunning.

This is not the strongest image in your portfolio but it is not a toss either.  Take the image and try a little recrop and see how it looks, play with making it B&W and testing different contrast/brightness, try really whacking out the colors and see what you get!  I like the facial expression and the way the hair falls on your torso.

I hope you don't mind, I tried a fast re-edit and uploaded it here - www.filedropper.com/bw1.  I have not figured out how to post an image here!  Just copy/paste the link in your browser and hit download to see the results, the link will expire at some point.  It is all a matter of personal taste but there are options!

I would like to work with you but I am in the wrong place!

Apr 15 20 07:19 pm Link

Model

Amanda_G

Los Angeles, California, US

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

I agree with everything.  It's not my favorite picture, but quarantine boredom struck and I was going through some old shots, and maybe thought about this one too long haha.  I deleted it, I don't feel it's my best at all.

Just itching to get out there and keep on creating.

Apr 17 20 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Amanda_G wrote:
[snip]

Just itching to get out there and keep on creating.

feeling Your pain.

Hang in there.

Apr 18 20 02:42 am Link