Forums > Model Colloquy > Not Retouched to your liking

Photographer

donalabee

Accra, Greater Accra, Ghana

Hi all,

I'm sure as models, there may have been times the outcome of a retouch did not represent you well. Let's say you were made darker/fairer than you are.

What I'll like to know is, what steps have you taken in such situations? Were you able to discuss with the photographer/retoucher involved? What was the outcome?

Thanks.

Apr 21 20 09:12 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

This is from the Getty Images release:

"I agree that the Content may be combined with other images, text, graphics, film, audio, audio-visual works; and may be cropped, altered or modified."

Most releases give the photographer permission to alter or modify the images.

The ASMP release says: "without my inspection or approval".

Apr 21 20 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

I usually ask the models to let me know if they see something I edited too much or too little. I appreciate real constructive criticism. The models are their own harshest critic, "Can you make my ear lobe look less fat?" They will look over an image of themselves very carefully. That helps me to learn to train my own eyes.

I understand some photographers are a "take it or leave it" type. Time is important, and they don't wish to re-edit the same image. That is their right. If a model does not like that position, the time to find out is before the shoot is confirmed.

Apr 21 20 08:20 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

Redacted - Sorry all, I misunderstood the intention behind this OP's question.

Apr 22 20 01:55 am Link

Photographer

donalabee

Eric212Grapher wrote:
I usually ask the models to let me know if they see something I edited too much or too little. I appreciate real constructive criticism. The models are their own harshest critic, "Can you make my ear lobe look less fat?" They will look over an image of themselves very carefully. That helps me to learn to train my own eyes.

I understand some photographers are a "take it or leave it" type. Time is important, and they don't wish to re-edit the same image. That is their right. If a model does not like that position, the time to find out is before the shoot is confirmed.

I totally agree with you. Do you think also, that it'll be better a model checks records of a particular photog before agreeing to shoot with him/her?

Apr 22 20 04:54 am Link

Photographer

donalabee

Camera Buff wrote:
The OP has correctly chosen the Model Colloquy Forum to specifically ask MODELS for their feedback.

Like the photographer OP, I would also like to hear from models about any times when they felt that a retouch did not represent them well. 

So, as photographers, let's hope we can leave this thread open and allow models an opportunity to respond. Freely and without unnecessary interjections to voice disdain or our legal rights.

As an example:

Remember the case where a model who had previously been sacked by a prominent fashion label, supposedly for being overweight, later saw the fashion label use an image of her that had been drastically retouched to a point where she looked grossly underweight.

She told the Daily News "I was shocked to see that super skinny girl with my face,” … "It's very sad, I think, that (name withheld) Fashion Label could do something like that.”

The model’s Lawyer, said “The image is gross distortion of how she really looks and which we fear will be extremely damaging to her.”

Yes i really want to hear from the models. There are instances where models end up adding filters to retouched images, which end up defeating the purpose and psychology of the whole work.

Apr 22 20 04:55 am Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

donalabee wrote:

I totally agree with you. Do you think also, that it'll be better a model checks records of a particular photog before agreeing to shoot with him/her?

not sure what you mean by "checks records" - is that what we call "checking references"?

I urge models to check references.
Also, I urge model to get a clear indication of the concept and compensation before confirming.

Apr 22 20 04:49 pm Link

Model

starrstjulien

Washington, District of Columbia, US

donalabee wrote:
Hi all,

I'm sure as models, there may have been times the outcome of a retouch did not represent you well. Let's say you were made darker/fairer than you are.

What I'll like to know is, what steps have you taken in such situations? Were you able to discuss with the photographer/retoucher involved? What was the outcome?

Thanks.

I think it depends on a few things... If I was paid, then 9/10 times I'd just let it go UNLESS my race were changed, there's an inappropriate wardrobe malfunction, or something else equally bizarre, because at that point it's much more of a misrepresentation and is detrimental to my reputation as a model.

If it were a TFP shoot, I would reach out and ask for the problem to be fixed, otherwise I would not be able to add it to my portfolio. Since both parties are supposed to benefit from TFP, the agreement between me and the photographer wouldn't be fulfilled since the photos won't be usable for me. If the problem can't be fixed with simple edits, I'd offer to meet up and try again.

I've had my skin tone changed a number of times for fine art portraits to make it seem more "bronzed" or SUPER pale, like in old paintings. I don't think that's inappropriate or misrepresenting me at all. It's just the style of the shoot. I don't mind if my facial features are changed or my body is photoshopped as long as I still look like "me." If it's an artistic shoot, that's a different story and the photographer is free to do what he wants to make the entire image work.

I've definitely had to address issues like this before and everyone has been lovely about it. As long as we're all mutually respectful, any issue can be resolved painlessly smile

Apr 23 20 10:35 am Link

Photographer

donalabee

Eric212Grapher wrote:

not sure what you mean by "checks records" - is that what we call "checking references"?

I urge models to check references.
Also, I urge model to get a clear indication of the concept and compensation before confirming.

i meant checking portfolio, seeing what that photog's editing styles are.

Apr 23 20 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

donalabee

starrstjulien wrote:

I think it depends on a few things... If I was paid, then 9/10 times I'd just let it go UNLESS my race were changed, there's an inappropriate wardrobe malfunction, or something else equally bizarre, because at that point it's much more of a misrepresentation and is detrimental to my reputation as a model.

If it were a TFP shoot, I would reach out and ask for the problem to be fixed, otherwise I would not be able to add it to my portfolio. Since both parties are supposed to benefit from TFP, the agreement between me and the photographer wouldn't be fulfilled since the photos won't be usable for me. If the problem can't be fixed with simple edits, I'd offer to meet up and try again.

I've had my skin tone changed a number of times for fine art portraits to make it seem more "bronzed" or SUPER pale, like in old paintings. I don't think that's inappropriate or misrepresenting me at all. It's just the style of the shoot. I don't mind if my facial features are changed or my body is photoshopped as long as I still look like "me." If it's an artistic shoot, that's a different story and the photographer is free to do what he wants to make the entire image work.

I've definitely had to address issues like this before and everyone has been lovely about it. As long as we're all mutually respectful, any issue can be resolved painlessly smile

you sound like a perfect person to work with! too bad we have oceans between us, lol.

Apr 23 20 03:50 pm Link