Forums > Model Colloquy > Model credits

Photographer

Focuspuller

Los Angeles, California, US

I've asked this before but never got a real answer so I'm going to try again.

Do models prefer NOT to be credited in contest submissions? In the last 14 POTD+ contests, models in 13 winners were not credited. Many other runners-up also. Is this a model thing? A photographers' thing? Did I not get the memo on this? I've never had a model ask to not be credited, so what is up? Very curious.

May 10 20 11:06 am Link

Photographer

PHP-Photography

Vaasa, Ostrobothnia, Finland

This topic comes up almost as often as the sun but here are some reasons I have seen mentioned before:

- model asks not to be credited ( image might be higher level than he/she usually shoots )
- model is not a member
- photographer does not want to "share" the model

May 11 20 09:01 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

PHP-Photography wrote:
This topic comes up almost as often as the sun but here are some reasons I have seen mentioned before:

- model asks not to be credited ( image might be higher level than he/she usually shoots )
- model is not a member
- photographer does not want to "share" the model

Can't imagine a model not wanting to be presented at a higher level.

Models don't have to be a member for a courtesy credit.

Not "sharing" a model sounds incredibly antithetical to the spirit of this site. And sad.

In any event, nobody else seems to care, so...

May 13 20 10:52 am Link

Photographer

Kens Lens

Aurora, Colorado, US

Through all walks of life there are givers and takers, I view photographers that don't credit any models to be takers, probably not only here but in life in general.

May 13 20 10:59 am Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

Focuspuller wrote:
Not "sharing" a model sounds incredibly antithetical to the spirit of this site. And sad.

This site has always had more that its' share of sad possessive photographers,
quite a few drama queens as well...

May 13 20 11:11 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

I have had models ask me not to credit them
In most cases I think its an attempt to maintain privacy
Speaking of the "spirit of the site", Are general attacks on your peers the norm ?

May 13 20 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:
I have had models ask me not to credit them
In most cases I think its an attempt to maintain privacy
Speaking of the "spirit of the site", Are general attacks on your peers the norm ?

Who is making general attacks on their peers? Do tell.

May 13 20 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

Focuspuller wrote:
Who is making general attacks on their peers? Do tell.

I'm not into entering competitions like POTD, but I do like to cast my vote on those images I like. Sadly, I don't have a high success rate for picking winners, so I'm not sure what that says about me when it comes to my critiquing images.

In answer to your question ... "Who is making general attacks on their peers?"

I don't generally give 'credits' to my models. None of my models are professional models. When I see one of my MM models is no longer active on MM, then I'll withdraw my credit and remove the MM link to their page.

Most of my models are simply young local people who wish to experience the fun and excitement of being pampered and treated to a one-time model make-over experience.

So if my (and other photographers) not posting model 'Credits' means our peers can think or label us as being 'Takers' or 'Sad Possessive Photographers' then that's unfortunate.

BTW, I often wonder how old some of the images are that are being entered in POTD really are. Not that it matters from the quality of the imagery, but perhaps in some cases perhaps the model(s) in the winning picture(s) may have retired from modelling.

May 13 20 11:43 pm Link

Photographer

PHP-Photography

Focuspuller wrote:

Can't imagine a model not wanting to be presented at a higher level.

Sorry, I should have used MM speak and say genre, not level that other sites use.
As in model does not usually shoot nude but made an exception with some photographer but does not want the world to know.

May 14 20 12:54 am Link

Photographer

PHP-Photography

Camera Buff wrote:
When I see one of my MM models is no longer active on MM, then I'll withdraw my credit and remove the MM link to their page.

If a model deactivates then the MM credit is removed from your profile.

May 14 20 12:57 am Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

Focuspuller wrote:

Do models prefer NOT to be credited in contest submissions? In the last 14 POTD+ contests, models in 13 winners were not credited. Many other runners-up also. Is this a model thing? A photographers' thing? Did I not get the memo on this? I've never had a model ask to not be credited, so what is up? Very curious.

I have never had a model ask me not to credit her in any image I have posted on MM or in any competition/magazine.

I once asked a photographer who a model he had posted a picture of in POD as i though if she was close to me I would like to shoot with her. He replied that it wasn't his job to make it easy for me to find models.

I credit everyone I work with, as I want them all to have more opportunities to shoot with others and further their own careers.

May 14 20 07:43 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

PHP-Photography wrote:

Sorry, I should have used MM speak and say genre, not level that other sites use.
As in model does not usually shoot nude but made an exception with some photographer but does not want the world to know.

Thank you for the clarification. Not a matter of "MM speak" at all. "Higher level" to me does not readily signify "nude" vs "non nude".

May 14 20 10:01 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Red Sky Photography wrote:
I once asked a photographer who a model he had posted a picture of in POD as i though if she was close to me I would like to shoot with her. He replied that it wasn't his job to make it easy for me to find models.

I posed the question with the understanding that there are perfectly legitimate reasons for a photographer not crediting models. To me, this is not one of them.

May 14 20 10:10 am Link

Photographer

Omaroo

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Focuspuller wrote:

Sometimes photographers have an "ownership" mentality when they have a model who is not well known and that, sadly, is sometimes a reason that the models are not credited. I find it quite annoying and arrogant, not to mention unhelpful to the models themselves because we do not know how to contact them for work.

May 14 20 10:13 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

I always credit the Model, it's one of those little things learned along the way. That being said often don't receive credit. 

Image credits are a 2 way street that often only go one way.

May 15 20 02:54 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:
I always credit the Model, it's one of those little things learned along the way. That being said often don't receive credit. 

Image credits are a 2 way street that often only go one way.

Good point. Not cool.

May 15 20 09:26 am Link

Photographer

Carle Photo

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Many of the people I work with don't care about credits.

They care about the actual images & art, or the paycheck.
Also as time passes, people move on, change names, again, credits don't matter as much as the actual work.

May 15 20 10:37 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Carle Photo wrote:
Many of the people I work with don't care about credits.

They care about the actual images & art, or the paycheck.
Also as time passes, people move on, change names, again, credits don't matter as much as the actual work.

No doubt true for successful, established models. For others, maybe not so much, like beginners, genre-changers, returnees from hiatus?

May 15 20 10:51 am Link

Model

Liv Sage

Seattle, Washington, US

I've been entered in contests there before. And I'd personally not want to ever be credited in an MM photo contest submission. For one, I think most of the images that do well there are mediocre at the very best. I'd rather not have images of myself included in that contest at all - thankfully the photographers I shoot with now seem to agree.

But the biggest reason? The few times I ended up with an image in this contest, I was inundated with messages from people who were just bothering me. There was zero point to the messages, and it was a waste of time trying to filter through them. Now I'd simply ignore and delete, but when I was younger I tried to answer messages because I'd been misled into thinking that this was what all professionals did (wrong, most of us know what to ignore to save a lot of time).

So yeah, I'd rather not be credited. Or maybe they could put a disclaimer next to my name if they did credit me: Don't contact Liv with dumb drivel (about her body, hair, etc) she doesn't care about after seeing this image.

May 18 20 06:13 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Liv Sage wrote:
I've been entered in contests there before. And I'd personally not want to ever be credited in an MM photo contest submission. For one, I think most of the images that do well there are mediocre at the very best. I'd rather not have images of myself included in that contest at all - thankfully the photographers I shoot with now seem to agree.

But the biggest reason? The few times I ended up with an image in this contest, I was inundated with messages from people who were just bothering me. There was zero point to the messages, and it was a waste of time trying to filter through them. Now I'd simply ignore and delete, but when I was younger I tried to answer messages because I'd been misled into thinking that this was what all professionals did (wrong, most of us know what to ignore to save a lot of time).

So yeah, I'd rather not be credited. Or maybe they could put a disclaimer next to my name if they did credit me: Don't contact Liv with dumb drivel (about her body, hair, etc) she doesn't care about after seeing this image.

A real world answer from an excellent model, thank you!
I've been waiting for at least one model to chime in before posting, it's another "Photographers posting in the Models forum" thread.

I've credited MM models in the past (I never enter the contests as I find them meaningless).
Currently, none of the 4 MM models whose images enhance my port are active. Some have been gone for a LONG time, one for over a decade.
Ports here are virtually permanent, you can deactivate a port on MM but you cannot delete it. Some don't bother to deactivate. Somebody messaging a long since inactive port in hopes of booking a shoot is simply a total waste of time.
I've probably spared some poor soul the effort by not crediting. Plus I have no idea what any of them are up to, perhaps they left because they've entered a field of endeavor where a past modeling history might be seen as a negative. I don't know and don't want to make the assumption.

If I work with a current model again in the future I will be happy to credit them if that is something they will approve.

And, that's that.

May 18 20 06:50 pm Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Liv Sage wrote:

Thanks for a model's point of view, and I appreciate the reasons. I always leave it to the model re: credits, but have never actually been asked not to credit. In one case, however, I noticed a model I worked with had changed her profile from "shoot nudes: yes" to "shoot nudes: no", so I asked if she would prefer I take down the nudes of her in my port. She said yes , and so I did.

May 20 20 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I once forgot to credit a model.  She contacted me about this.

May 21 20 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

You're asking for a blanket answer to a very individual question.  Some may want it and the photographer doesn't want to give it or some models may ask not to be credited.

The one that I hate is when the photographer lists himself under credits but not the model. Of course, the one I appreciate is when the photographer puts down "model not on MM".

May 21 20 11:00 pm Link