Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > My first real portrait shoot, please critique.

Photographer

Greg Urbano

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

This is my first portfolio shoot with a model from Mayhem.
Shot with a single flash outdoors at noon in a park.
Maia del Mazo

May 31 20 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

No link, not sure which image you want critique on?

I'll check back later...

Jun 02 20 12:20 am Link

Photographer

Rough Hewn Images

Salem, Oregon, US

For the most part, I like them! 

The ones posted, a vast majority are head shots so I think a little more variety in the poses would help.  There is one torso shot and on sitting full length but no full length standing or much of a variety in poses.  There seems to be a lack of variety in the setting as well.  Trees are great but there are more locations available in a park

Jun 05 20 08:14 pm Link

Photographer

Fist Full of Ish

Aiken, South Carolina, US

Maia del Mazo - Got it.
To me it looks like most of it's a little under-exposed. Use a light meter.
By rule of thumb, some might be better in portrait format.
By rule of thumb, generally prefer space in front of the subject rather than behind in landscape format.
A minor light source to give catchlights would benefit.  Also to fill some shadows.
I the torso shot, for example, the shadows are too dark to see much of her eyes, or texture in her clothes.
Why is her necklace under her clothes?

Jun 10 20 05:27 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

First congratulations on picking a beautiful model.
IMO the photos in the second row are the best headshot, love the first two, like the third but the last one (B&W) looks muddy ( like the other B&W above it. I like the use of space to model right to draw you into the composition, don't see this done often enough.
My favorite is the first one but do not like the crop, I would crop at or below her crossed arm.
The exposer on her face is all of them are good, contrast ratio is a little high when it is on most of them, variety is good, but the body could use some fill as it masks the femininity of her body.
in the third row I find the dirt pathway in the BG distracting as it is more prominent than in the second row similar pose and in the second now ( where she is looking to her Left) the gray tree trunk is also distracting.
Advice I got from a photo editor years ago was alway pick your BG first and you did have a good BG but it is the details that make or break a shot and it is counter intuitive to watch the BG when you are shooting a beautiful woman but you got to do both simultaneously .
Like that you credited the model.
Overall good job

Jun 13 20 08:17 am Link

Photographer

Fist Full of Ish

Aiken, South Carolina, US

NOTICE:

This member seems to have left the site.

Jun 18 20 03:49 pm Link